Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2017, 15:30   #1

Greetings from Southern Tasmania

Hi all,
found my way here after searching online for tips on handling a ketch.
I've had a lot of experience on single masted boats up to 42' but am now looking towards a live aboard ketch in the 50-60' range. My primary requirements would be stability, build quality and space as well as ease of handling either single or short handed.
Would be really keen to hear the thoughts, suggestions and opinions of others in regards to designer/build. An open thread I know.
Although primarily to used as live aboard I also intend to sail her a fair bit, but no further than the odd circumnavigation of Tasmania.
cheers Richard
Channel Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 15:47   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Greetings from Southern Tasmania

Welcome aboard CF Richard. I can't help you with your questions but I sure others will.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 16:19   #3

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Hi Richard

Welcome to cruiser Forum - by your title I presume your location is around the D'Entrecasteaux Channel. We summer in Tasmaina and base ourselves in Kettering but are now on the mainland in Eden. We look forward to catching up with you in December. Sorry I can't answer the Ketch questions as we sail a cutter rigged sloop.

Cheers Sue Admiral and Captain Mike from Yaraandoo II
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 16:55   #4

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

Welcome CC great to have another Aussie here you will enjoy the fun.

I have a steel 48ft OA ketch centre cockpit and have single handed for 14 years with only the odd crew and have found it pretty easy. I am now based in FNQ but have sailed up and down east coast and now mainly here on the reef. It seems that you can love ketches or think the mizzen is just a radar hanger its a pity because for a solo sailor they offer great variation in sail configuration and ease of sail handling. Over the years I have been through all sorts of weather patterns and have been scared S/L but always come through and laughed after.
My ketch is a home built John Pugh Carrawong and is 20ton loaded but has stacks of room with great storage forward and aft double cabins even have walk in pantry and wine cellar so able to stay out for long periods cruising
( longest out without resupply was 5 months island hopping up north)

I am happy and confidant to solo on my size boat and the costings , Marina, haul out, fuel use, and maintenance ( do all my own work just repowered all by my self with a helper ) are workable. I think going up to 50/60ft is quite another big step with all costs also sailing the boat would be full on if not well thought out running rigging, I have everything back to the cockpit except the main sail which is at the mast but I am very careful to play the reefing game or lower the main before the S/T hits the fan.

Soooo think carefully about the size may be get a bit of time on a boat that size to see what is involved. Just as a point I know how hard it is to park mine in a marina by myself I don't think I would try that on with 50/60ft

Cheers Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 17:06   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Welcome to CF from another part time Taswegian cruiser. Can't helpwith the ketch info, being a lifetime sloop/cutter sailor, nor with the 60 foot realm... likely others will pipe up with knowledge, opinion and internet silliness. It is up to you to work out which is which!

Keep an eye out for Insatiable II next December or so, and give us a hoy when you see us.

Jim
Old 20-05-2017, 03:11   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Richard.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote