Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2011, 06:28   #16

Re: Greetings from Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
Welcome aboard. From a much colder place.
Big seas, OK, Big winds, OK, big rain, OK, as long as its warm, I'm OK!
Sangsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 05:33   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangsom View Post
Hello everybody, I'm Graeme and I'm based here in 'The land of smiles'. I came across this site a few days ago and have enjoyed a few hours going through some of the posts. It seems like a very lively forum, with lots of good info and a great vibe. I'm looking forward to adding my 10 bahts worth!

I've been cruising aboard my 50' cutter for most of the last 15 years but I'm now boatless, having sold last year. They say that the 2 happiest days of your life are the days you buy a boat, and the day you sell it. That is true in my case too but I'm already looking forward to the next 'happy' day, just as soon as the kitty will stand it!

If anyone is planing to come cruising here in the Andaman sea, I have about 40,000 miles worth of 'local' knowledge that I will be more than happy to pass on to you. If you want me to bring your boat here, (or anywhere else) I can do that too!

Fair winds, and calm seas.
Hi Graeme,
I am contemplating heading there - only about 10,000 miles from here.
Can you explain the current cruising permits for yachts in Thailand?
I sold my last bought in Phuket in 1999 - At that time a vessel received permanent "permit" - I reckon that is perfect for a cruising boat.
Only condition the captain had to leave a security deposit if he left the country.
Is it the same now?
thanks
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 05:53   #18

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Ahoy Graeme, welcome aboard mate. It certainly is a great spot for messing about on boats?
I am currently on the hook at Ao charong, booked out today and sail back to Langkawi tomorrow morning, then on to Sumatran West coast.
Lovely people in Phuket, always enjoy my stay here.
I am enjoying one of those happy moments at present!
Fair winds from Keith.
Old 25-05-2011, 06:02   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
Hi Graeme,
I am contemplating heading there - only about 10,000 miles from here.
Can you explain the current cruising permits for yachts in Thailand?
I sold my last bought in Phuket in 1999 - At that time a vessel received permanent "permit" - I reckon that is perfect for a cruising boat.
Only condition the captain had to leave a security deposit if he left the country.
Is it the same now?
thanks
Hi AllezCat, Things are pretty much the same as before... you get 30 days visa waiver on arrival. If you leave with your boat, no bond required. If you leave without your boat, all 'crew' must pay a bond of 20,000 baht (so make sure everyone else is a 'passenger' when you arrive)
The boat is good for up to a year (with excuses!) but then must leave and return again if you want to stay longer. Krabi are less fussy than Phuket but both are a lot better than last time you were here.
Cheers, Graeme.
Old 25-05-2011, 06:04   #20

Boat: Landfall 39 built 1982

Hey Graeme

I am in Ao Chalong with my boat happy to have a chat about cruising in this region.

Cheers Alex
felixqld66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 06:13   #21

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Hi AllezCat, Things are pretty much the same as before... you get 30 days visa waiver on arrival. If you leave with your boat, no bond required. If you leave without your boat, all 'crew' must pay a bond of 20,000 baht (so make sure everyone else is a 'passenger' when you arrive)
The boat is good for up to a year (with excuses!) but then must leave and return again if you want to stay longer. Krabi are less fussy than Phuket but both are a lot better than last time you were here.
Cheers, Graeme.
I'm here on a retirement visa so I just check in every 90 days. Do you know how it works if I bring my boat here from the US with the idea of keeping it here permanently? I had to pay customs duty on the household stuff so I'm guess the same for the boat but hoping there's some exception or way around it.
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 06:22   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I'm here on a retirement visa so I just check in every 90 days. Do you know how it works if I bring my boat here from the US with the idea of keeping it here permanently? I had to pay customs duty on the household stuff so I'm guess the same for the boat but hoping there's some exception or way around it.
Hi Doodles, The retirement visa works well for you but doesn't help with the boat. You'll need to take the boat down to Langkawi once a year (as things stand) or import it into Thailand if you don't want to leave. Currently there is no import duty but you need to pay 7% VAT on THEIR valuation. Use of an agent is highly recommended if you want to do that. (I can give you the details of the agent I used, if you want)
Old 25-05-2011, 06:24   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixqld66 View Post
Hey Graeme

I am in Ao Chalong with my boat happy to have a chat about cruising in this region.

Cheers Alex
Hi Alex, Happy to do that, I've PM'd you my number. Cheers, Graeme.
Old 25-05-2011, 06:38   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Welcome aboard, Graeme. I lived in Thailand for about 4 years until 2007, doing several passages in the GOT and some sailing on the Andaman Sea.
Old 25-05-2011, 07:12   #25

Quote:
Hi Doodles, The retirement visa works well for you but doesn't help with the boat. You'll need to take the boat down to Langkawi once a year (as things stand) or import it into Thailand if you don't want to leave. Currently there is no import duty but you need to pay 7% VAT on THEIR valuation. Use of an agent is highly recommended if you want to do that. (I can give you the details of the agent I used, if you want)
Thanks. I'm at least a year away from bringing the boat here, so no need at the moment but I'll keep your info handy for the future. I'm familiar with the use of "agents".
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 12:00   #26
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Me too!!!! it seems you must have sampled a few Sangsoms? are you still in the area?

Graeme.
Nah, not been back for a few years now. Tempted now and again

Have half an eye on Malaysia, but that would be a few years hence.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 13:10   #27

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
kind regards,
Old 11-06-2011, 19:45   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Welcome aboard, Graeme. I lived in Thailand for about 4 years until 2007, doing several passages in the GOT and some sailing on the Andaman Sea.
Hi Sneuman,
Is that Maryland blog you mentioned in your posting still active? I tried to access it and place in in my favorites for near term. I married a Thai lady with original intentions to move there full time, but have now decided to split our time between Thailand and USA...likely around the Bay area as I use to be in the boat business down in Annapolis. I'm tenatively considering living on a boat again while in the Chesapeake area and thought there might be some interesting things I could pick up on from that blog....both vessel wise and marina/slip wise.

Welcome Graeme, look forward to your contributions. Perhaps we will meet one day.
I posted here to ask about the MD blog, and to follow your contributions as well. At one time I was looking into the idea of building a 'Thai or Bali' style cottage on a floating platform for use along the coastal regions on Thailand since my Thai wife lives up in the north.

Retirement Houseboat or Floating Home - Boat Design Forums
Old 11-06-2011, 19:54   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
Hi Sneuman,
Is that Maryland blog you mentioned in your posting still active? I tried to access it and place in in my favorites for near term. I married a Thai lady with original intentions to move there full time, but have now decided to split our time between Thailand and USA...likely around the Bay area as I use to be in the boat business down in Annapolis. I'm tenatively considering living on a boat again while in the Chesapeake area and thought there might be some interesting things I could pick up on from that blog....both vessel wise and marina/slip wise.

Welcome Graeme, look forward to your contributions. Perhaps we will meet one day.
I posted here to ask about the MD blog, and to follow your contributions as well. At one time I was looking into the idea of building a 'Thai or Bali' style cottage on a floating platform for use along the coastal regions on Thailand since my Thai wife lives up in the north.

Retirement Houseboat or Floating Home - Boat Design Forums
Very interesting Brian. I've bookmarked the link and want to go back and read it in depth. I have a house ashore in Krabi and hope to have a sailboat in Phuket before too long. Don't know that I will need a third abode but interesting concept and I'll bet it would be fun.

Tags
Thailand