Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2009, 17:23   #1

Boat: Still Looking
Greetings from the Carolinas

Hey there, Just dropping in to say, "Hey!"
After much discussion my family of 4 are about to embark on the journey of our lives. We have decided to sell the house and everything we own, practically, and sail the seas.

I've started a blog to document my progress and pursuit and I'd really appreciate any help, tips, suggestions whatever..

Adventures Of The Sea

The Crew:

Damon & Jenny: I've been on boats since I was a kid. no real sailing experience but canoes and kayaks, camping all that outdoor stuff I'm pretty proficient in. Jenny's been on boats a lot, her father used to own a few powerboats, she loves the water and was all in when I told her my idea.

Kids:
Lizzy (age 13) Mary (age 9)
Love the idea but are leary of the lack of space and our ability to remain sane.. Lizzy wants to be a marine biologist possibly so she's all in as well as Mary who really thinks pirates are really cool.

At this point I'm gathering as much data as I can and trying to throw together a timeline as well as a budget. Right now we are looking to set sail sometime maybe early summer late spring of 2010. Looks like we have about $180,000 to live off of. Right now I plan for $2000/mo expenses and total boat costs of about $100,000. I've looked at a couple of boats online andd am narrowing down my choices of boats to actually go and visit. here's the short list (always open to suggestions)

Whitby42Valiant 40
Cabo Rico 38
Morgan Out Island 41
Gozzard 36

For some reason I'm drawn to higher displacement more keel area boats. I suggested a Snowgoose catamaran but Jenny thinks they aren't as safe.

We are looking for safety then comfort. As far as boat cost the $100k is ready to sale (all repairs, upgrades, whatever) done..

We plan to stick near the east coast for a few months learning the ship, taking some sailing lessons, eventually head to Florida and the keys and whatnot a few months before really setting off for the next who knows how long.

So if you could recommend some places to help me along that'd be great please try to use the blog, I really would like to use it as aplace to consolidate all this information and get a handle on all this planning.

Damon

AdventuresOfTheSea
_Oxygen_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 18:16   #2

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Welcome,
I just checked out the blog, looks like things are getting off to a good start. Congratulations on deciding to follow your dream! Now carry through despite obstacles and we look forward to seeing you on the water! By the way, I used to live in Greenvile, Hickory, and Boone, North Carolina.
Spencer
Old 17-11-2009, 18:25   #3

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Some of the offshore income ideas may be very difficult. Do you plan on towing jet ski's with you? Under the table business is doable, but gain too much attention from local authorities and they will want to see your permits for having passengers and for business. Good thinking and keep it up!
Spencer
Old 18-11-2009, 14:23   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!
Good luck in the pursuit of your dreams. There is good money in piracy if you are Somalian so maybe Mary could change citizenship and bring in some real cash. We'll keep an eye out for her in the Indian Ocean.
regards,