Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2006, 08:23   #1

Boat: 1981 O'Day 34 "Karma"
Send a message via AIM to Sailingcal21
Greetings from the Chesapeake Bay

Just signed up to the forums.

I'm currently on the hard near Reedville, VA with "Karma" my 1981 O'Day 34. She'd been sittin' for about 2 yrs before I purchased her with plans to get her bottom wet post-hurricane season. Work has gotten in the way as has several suprises (i.e.; needed to pull the pedestal to replace a rotten backing board under the cockpit sole).

Previously, I owned a Coronado 28 with an outboard. Karma has a 24 HP diesel which is a new type of engine and fuel for me to deal with. I've replaced the fuel tank as the original (aluminum) developed a several pin-holes.

So, I'll be lurking around looking for diesel info as well as pretty much everything else.

I'm still very excited about sailing and Karma, she has all the systems that I think I'll need for a while plus the space to add more such as A/C, refridge, etc. Yeah, I know "space" is relative and like closets will fill up quickly.

At this time my plan it to cruise the Chesapeake, then make a loop or two around the Eastern Shore, then head south. That ought to keep me busy for a few years.

Scott
"Karma"
1981 O'Day 34
Sailingcal21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 10:19   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Scott,
Welcome aboard!! You have some excellent plans. Just the right size boat.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 15:02   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Welcome, I expect to be sailing by your neck of the Neck on perhaps Tuesday. We are bringing our boat home from D & C Canal and ran into technical difficulties last Friday and pulled into Rock Hall, MD. We expect to be in Solomons on Monday, then either Mill Creek or Indian Creek Tuesday.

You should enjoy the lower Chesapeake as it is a great place to sail. We have only been here 4 years and feel like we are only beginning. I find more places each year to go than I can ever hope to get to.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2006, 12:39   #4

Thanks for the greetings guys.

I'm thinking that it will be a good while before I exhaust the Bay as a cruising ground.

Scott
"Karma"
1981 O'Day 34
Old 20-10-2006, 18:53   #5
Lee

Boat: Pearson, 424, 42' - Morning Glory
My wife and I recently bought a Pearson 424 sloop that we are working on here in Brunswick, GA.
I am still working full time as a high school English teacher so all of our
extended cruising must take place during the hurricane season. This coming
summer we plan to do a shakedown cruise to the Chesapeake. That will help us make decisions about any changes we may need to make to our boat before we start cruising further a field. I know the Chesapeake has a wealth of things to do and see, but our experience with that area is exactly zero. If you have any suggestions/recommendations for great marinas restaurants, etc., or if you know of any good cruising guides to the Chesapeake I'd sure like hear about them.

TIA

Lee
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 13:56   #6

PBlais probably has more to offer in this area than I. My bay sailing has been limited pretty much to the Rappahanock River.

Up the Rappahanock about 14 miles or so is Urbanna which I think that you'll enjoy. Pretty easy access, however its a bit up river from the bay.

Tangier Island is also worth a look. It was discovered by Captian John Smith in the early 1600s and settled in the 1800s.

That's about all that I can recommend. I've heard that Mobjack Bay has some great areas too, but I know little about that area.

Scott
Old 25-10-2006, 12:57   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Chesapeake Bay Magazine produces the best guide book and it is worth the money for a complete inventory of about every place with special details on anchorages, services, and other local knowledge. You may find last years copy on ebay for a deal too. I only update it every 3 years or so.

The primary things to watch for are shallow water and jellyfish. Both are exceptionally common here. Tides vary from about a foot on the north to almost 4 ft in the south. A decent tide table would also be advised. Most of the locals are very friendly even if you are not.

April through June and September through early November at best sailing times. Mid July through most of August is hot and humid. The winds can be decent but not predictable. There are easily enough places for a whole summer on the bay. If I listed every place I have been I could add another list that is much longer of places I would like to go.

I would examine on paper more places than you can actually get to just in case the wind takes you some place else you can take advantage of what is where you can sail to. Summer on the bay I think is best when you take that approach. If you start making it a day by day schedule you'll motor far more than you'll want. Should you get a good day for down the bay or across the fat south end of the bay you'll clearly want to take advatage of that as a high point of the trip.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 09:19   #8

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
The best guide to the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
if you know of any good cruising guides to the Chesapeake I'd sure like hear about them.
I believe the best cruising guide for the Bay is, bar none, "Cruising the Chesapeake: A Gunkholer's Guide" by William Shellenberger. Despite the title, it does cover the built-up and urban areas. It has no peer in describing the many secluded, beautiful creeks, streams, and rivers feeding the Bay.

I have two copies: one at work and one on the boat.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay