Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2006, 15:16   #16
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Boy - Talk about a wandering thread. And all on the new owners first post. No respect
Aye, he'll understand, sailors have a short attention span and if the discussion is not on booze, boats, or bikini-girls, there is a waste of band-width....
Old 04-01-2006, 16:45   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Like some others, I too greeted the news of Andy R’s “ascension to Gisle’s throne” with a certain foreboding and some trepidation. Although progressive change is good, it can be unsettling to those of us comfortable (as I have been) with the present.

The only change I’ve noted, to date, is a dramatic increase in new membership. The past several months had seen somewhere around 1.5 new members per day. Since Christmas, we’ve had about 4.5/day. This new blood can only be a very good thing, invigorating the board with fresh energy, and new ideas.

I look forward to the technical changes & improvements that Andy’s promised, and hope that my “virtual home” continues to flourish under his stewardship.

FWIW,
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 15:30   #18

Welcome Aboard Andy R

Welcome aboard Andy R.

Sorry that I did not greet you much sooner. But, I just came back from my Xmas trip out to California. Met a fellow cruiserforum member out there. And had a blast.

Yes. Change can look very scary for some folks. But, I know that you will help out in making very good changes to this forum. From what you described about yourself. I'd say this forum needed the change. Especially in the photo department?

Well, welcome aboard. And feel free to express any concerns or acknowledgeable thoughts. Cause this is where the TRUTH really is... on cruisersforum.com .
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 13:20   #19
Captain

Hope we haven't scared off our new captain.

Guess the big question is: How to cover expenses?
After all, dear Gisle has paid out of his own pocket these years.

Apart from member fee the only way is ads, as far as I can see.
Myself, I'd rather fork out a few bucks than endure pop-ups etc, but this seems to be a tricky question everywhere. Why should some pay for posting useful info that visitors can enjoy for free?

Given Andy's vast experience from the web, I'm confident that he'll come up with something that his crew can live with. I've seen many forums with ads displayed in an unobtrusive way on top of page or at the sides.

As for keeping up with www and new software: Norwegians have this weird habit of migrating to the wilderness in their free time. Nowadays some build cabins to modern standard (like an urban house), while others enjoy the old standard (small with few amenities). Maybe sailors/cruisers belong to the latter kind?

Regards, Amphibian
Old 08-01-2006, 14:14   #20

Boat: currently "on the beach"
I, too, would rather kick in a few bucks to avoid being a "commercial" site. I do not want ads. None. Zero.
Unfortunately, this is a conversation that might have been productive prior to a sale, but this site never did belong to any of us and it now belongs to Andy.
My gut concern is how will a bunch of sailors with interests in boats mesh with an owner who's interests are business related. "Break-even" is not a business plan. I will wait and see. If it works - great ! If we are unhappy with the changes, we can always make Andy an offer or ship out. On one of the other boards, someone referred to managing a bunch like us as "herding cats". Great line.

Gisle made this a very special place. Hopefully it will continue.

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 14:28   #21
Captain

capt lar:

The expression "herding cats" just about sums it up IMHO!

Most seaplane pilots are also very much like that.

Old 03-01-2014, 15:04   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Greetings - My introduction....

From 2005:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tion-2856.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Like some others, I too greeted the news of Andy R’s “ascension to Gisle’s throne” with a certain foreboding and some trepidation. Although progressive change is good, it can be unsettling to those of us comfortable (as I have been) with the present.

The only change I’ve noted, to date, is a dramatic increase in new membership. The past several months had seen somewhere around 1.5 new members per day. Since Christmas, we’ve had about 4.5/day. This new blood can only be a very good thing, invigorating the board with fresh energy, and new ideas.

I look forward to the technical changes & improvements that Andy’s promised, and hope that my “virtual home” continues to flourish under his stewardship.

FWIW,
Gord
Gisle founded the CruisersForum, from Norway, on December 17, 2002, and went “public” on February 24, 2003. From it’s founding, until it’s sale Gisle fully funded CF (a free) from his private resources.
The birth of twins, building a home in Norway, and a promotion to a very responsible job, all led to Gisle’s declining participation in his Forum; finally resulting in it’s sale to Andy R in December of 2005.

Overall, I'm not unhappy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:52   #23

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Thanks for the site history Gord. As ever, we can count on you to keep us grounded in reality.
kind regards,
Old 05-01-2014, 14:00   #24
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Ditto
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote