Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2009, 07:17   #1

Boat: Catalina 250
Greetings - Seeking to Crew

Hi all,

I'm completely new to this forum. In the coming months I intend to seek a crew position sailing to ... somewhere.

This has been a dream of mine for some time, and after I get some loose ends tied up, I'll be ready to go.

I believe I can be a valuable asset to a passage-making crew. I have moderate sailing experience (USSA cert., I've sailed my C250 in Lake Superior, Chesapeke Bay, Sea of Cortez, and many minor water bodies). I am also a Wilderness First Responder (one notch short of Wilderness EMT), an experienced Le Cordon Bleu certified chef, HAM radio operator (KE7TPW), and experienced with computers and GPS (studied Geomatics). I also have also participated in many longish (30 day+) terrestrial 'exepeditions' from Africa to the low arctic. Master's degree education level, clean bill of health, etc.

How does one seek the right captain and boat? How do I go about this? This process will take me several months as I said - I hope to sail sometime this autumn - perhaps September or October.

All advice welcome.
Uglyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 07:55   #2

Boat: Farrier f27
Looks to me like you're well qualified to crew. The biggest issue for all concerned is personality compatibility. To that extent, I'd do what I needed to get a good feeling for compatibility with the rest of the crew. Take some short daysails & work on the boat with them before commiting to an extended cruise.
Hope that helps, good luck.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 07:57   #3

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
With a CV like yours you should be interviewing to find a captain / owner who is worthy of your presence aboard

Hmm... a gourmet chef who can actually read a GPS / chart and stand watches.... Don't think I'd want you aboard my boat ever

Pick a destination then post in the Crew section here. Then be very selective about the boat & 'fit' of your respective personalities. Enjoy!
Old 13-06-2009, 12:31   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Uglyhat,
Welcome aboard! How's KFalls? I'm an original Oregonian and know the state pretty well but haven't lived there since '63. If you are a sailor then KFalls is a good place to be far from.
Good luck in finding a crew position. If I were ready to cruise I'd invite you aboard.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote