Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2022, 17:08   #1

Boat: Outremer 4X
Guess we are buying a boat

Hello,
I’ve been lurking for some time. Ever since I was small I wanted to go sailing. Preferably around the world. When I was in the 8th grade I read Sailing Alone Around The World, and thought that was pretty much the coolest thing ever. I never really learned to sail, as I was busy with other things. A few years ago I met my wife, and she had a similar dream. We took ASA courses through 106 and skippered our own 10 day bareboat charters in Tahiti and Belize. I sail a bit on the San Francisco Bay in a 35 foot something my buddy owns. Earlier this year we decided to quit our lives here and move aboard a boat. We recently put a deposit down on an Outremer 45, and expect to take delivery in July 2025. Our “plan” is to sail in and around the Med for 18 months, as documents and time limits allow, wintering in N. Africa, before crossing the Atlantic the following fall. Hopefully by then we will know a bit more than we do now. If that all goes well, we hope to continue to the S. Pacific, where I would like to live more or less indefinitely.

About us. We are both 37. We met whitewater kayaking, and have been semi-professional in that sport. I spent a good deal of my early life in mountain ranges around the world, trying, and sometimes succeeding, to scramble up peaks. We both have significant emergency medical training, and I have worked as an EMT. My wife is an ultra runner, and I like to ride my mountain bike. We both love to surf. I once kayaked a 500 mile section of the California coast alone in November. The first year we were together we built out a sprinter van and drove it to Panama over the course of a year. We have lived in various vans for 5 years of our time together. I feel like this is good preparation for boat life (aside from the sailing part) as van systems and boat systems have some commonalities. We are Americans and will be picking up the boat in France. I am learning about where we should register to limit our tax exposure, and what the insurance situation will look like.

Needless to say I am very excited. Also, I know basically nothing. I have taught myself many, sometimes fairly technical, skills over the years and see sailing going somewhat the same way. I try to get on as many boats as possible, and talk with anyone who has done the things we are going to do. I read a lot of books.

Anyway, thought I would introduce myself. Can’t wait to go suffer out in the ocean somewhere.

Ben
BenYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 17:47   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Guess we are buying a boat

Good intro.

The suffering is repaid in spades. But you have to handle the hardships.

Common sense is a real plus. Some people get sailing, some dont. After you’ve hit five boats while docking consider that a sign from god. I think you’ll not have a problem.
Old 02-01-2022, 18:06   #3

Boat: Outremer 55L

Great intro. I’m assuming the “suffer out on the ocean” is irony? Both of you sound like you know all about sweat equity and working for your enjoyment.

While sailing around recently, literally 1 hour after looking at each other and both saying “we are blessed to be out here on our boat”, we caught a fishing line on one of our props that has likely stripped the gears inside the feathering prop and will cost heaps to repair. I admit to cursing, repeatedly and loudly.

Sounds like you’ve got a great plan. The 18 months in the Med will give you time and opportunity to shakedown your boat (new?) and yourselves and to your boat a home.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 18:26   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Ben,

Welcome aboard CF. It was San Francisco Bay from where we left to start cruising. If you sailed in all seasons there, you're better prepared for what lies ahead than many! I promise you. You two have skills in really helpful areas. Enjoy.

Ann
Old 02-01-2022, 20:29   #5

You got this! Keep the post going over the next few years- the adventure has started.
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 20:44   #6

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

The most important physical attributes for going up top in a blow are core strength and balance.

You've got that.

The most important tactical attributes for handling situations are an open mind and an ability to read and react right now.

You've got that.

The most important strategic attributes for what comes next are a studious nature and an ability to prepare for every eventuality.

You've got that.

Sailing, by comparison, is easy. Bernoulli, wind forecasts, tide tables, angles, physics, etc.

You'll be fine. Keep us updated!!
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 20:51   #7

Boat: PDQ 41

Congratulations on your new boat, and your cruising plan. As you both seem to be as addicted to exercise as I am, I wonder if you have given much thought to exercise on board? I have a TRX, as well as an inflatable Hobie paddle board, which gives one a similar exercise to a stair master.
Best,
Maldwin
Maldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 21:19   #8

Boat: Bavaria 38E

In sailing, as in other endeavors involving risks,

“Chance favors the prepared mind.”
Louis Pasteur

An impressive plan! Good luck going forward!
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 01:54   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ben.
Congratulations on your new Outremer!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 16:34   #10

Boat: Pearson 30

Welcome, and good luck with your new ventures!

https://studio.youtube.com/channel/U...gZ0TNAegy_WZQA
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 16:56   #11

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I have to ask, even though none of my business, how you can afford an Outremer. Where did I go wrong? I did everything I was told- STEM, good job, save money- and I can’t afford one Outremer hull, much less the whole thing, unless I blow a good chunk of retirement money.

Where did I go wrong? So many big boats buyers, so many expensive Florida waterfront homeowners, and while we could do it, it wouldn’t leave much buffer or spending in retirement. Drives me nuts. It’s not like I didn’t work hard, or blew all the money on new cars or expensive vacations. Where should I have turned right?

Anyway sorry to for thread drift.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:29   #12

Boat: Outremer 4X

It’s a good question.

I’m not really sure. Our finances seem to have worked out to be much better than I ever imagined them to be. My wife is quite smart. We are selling our primary residence to afford the boat, and since we live in California, that is quite a lot.

I will say that this has always been a shared dream, and we would go to sea in whatever we could afford. It just happens that we seem to be able to afford a lot more than I ever expected.

My attitude has also always been not to worry too much about what might happen in 10 years, if it gets in the way of what I want to do right now. I might not be around in 10 years.

In this journey so far (right at the beginning) I have met many people who have cashed in everything to go to sea. None of them seem to regret it.

It is easy for me to say, but I think that finances are a state of mind.
BenYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 08:55   #13

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 09:23   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Ben, sounds like you are well on your way with skills and experiences you need to have a great time! I too come from a whitewater background (dories in Idaho and Grand Canyon and my old Pirouette S collects dust in my garage) and if you are comfortable kayaking down the California coast it sounds like you are comfortable at sea, a cold turbulent one at that, which I think is maybe the most important thing to find out, regardless of which boat one chooses.

By the way, have you been out to the San Francisco Science and Sailing Center on Treasure Island? Go check it out if not and find Jim and tell him Don said to get Solstice down here for a Channel Islands trip!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 08:57   #15

Boat: Sabre 34

Ben, you seem to have a great attitude and outlook toward life, I wish you all the best best in your cruising adventures, don’t forget to send us updates.

Like Tetepare, I too feel “where did I go wrong” sometimes, apart from life’s obligations and priorities I think it’s not what you have is important, but what you are willing to let go.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, buying a boat