Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2014, 08:53   #226

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

"RE: "Military Style:I know of no military that issues semi-automatic weapons as their main battle gun but it sure does sound scary to those who don't know.. "

Actually when the Brits fought the Argentines in the Falklands they were both armed with the same rifle. The Brits were armed with semi auto and the Argentines with full auto version of the FN-FAL. That was some time ago. What are the Brits using today?
Old 25-09-2014, 09:20   #227

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: Guns on a boat, yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
RE: "Military Style:I know of no military that issues semi-automatic weapons as their main battle gun but it sure does sound scary to those who don't know..
We're pretty far from discussing cruising now, but....

I'm not a marine, but I understand that the standard issue rifle for the USMC is an M16A2 or now M16A4, which has both a semi-automatic mode and a burst (3 round) mode, but no fully automatic (spray) mode. The same is true for the M4/M4A1 carbines issued to other services. A few riflemen per marine squad get automatic weapons (M249/M27), but they are the minority.
Old 25-09-2014, 09:43   #228
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
"RE: "Military Style:I know of no military that issues semi-automatic weapons as their main battle gun but it sure does sound scary to those who don't know.. "

Actually when the Brits fought the Argentines in the Falklands they were both armed with the same rifle. The Brits were armed with semi auto and the Argentines with full auto version of the FN-FAL. That was some time ago. What are the Brits using today?
catapults

If the M.O.D. have their way, even that will be too expensive......
Old 25-09-2014, 09:49   #229

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Actually they returned to using the Welsh Longbow.
Old 25-09-2014, 09:59   #230
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

lucky Scotland never succeeded other wise we would have had to re-arm from the old
SA80 5.56mm,not that we can afford bullets for them these days.............

http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/23222.aspx
Old 25-09-2014, 10:03   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post

Americans with scary guns.
Old 25-09-2014, 10:06   #232

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Guns on a boat, yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
We're pretty far from discussing cruising now, but....

I'm not a marine, but I understand that the standard issue rifle for the USMC is an M16A2 or now M16A4, which has both a semi-automatic mode and a burst (3 round) mode, but no fully automatic (spray) mode. The same is true for the M4/M4A1 carbines issued to other services. A few riflemen per marine squad get automatic weapons (M249/M27), but they are the minority.
4 men to a Fire team, 3 Fire teams per squard, and 3 squads to a platoon.
One man in each team has a belt fed m249 machine gun. 1 man in each team has a m203 grenade launcher. The rest are M16's with 3 round burst. Marines are taught 3 round burst is a waste of ammo and are urged to make hits count. Each squad has a squad leader, the platoon has a platoon Sgt and a Platoon commander.

Final totals per platoon of 41 men are

9 M249 belt fed machine guns
32 M16's with 3 round burst capability
9 m203 grenade launchers attached to the team leaders M16's

Now those are what I call military style or assault weapons. The AR 15 I have doesn't hold a candle to any of those
Old 25-09-2014, 10:15   #233
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Bringing weapons into Australia

Atol is right, I'm wrong (again)

After a chat with Customs about visiting vessels (all visiting vessels are registered elsewhere), which are carrying any designated weapon, prohibited weapons or restricted, all you have to do is declare them as being on board when you contact the port of arrival, being at least 96 hours prior.

Upon the usual inspection, if your weapon and ammo is appropriately stored and can be safeguarded such as in an onboard gun safe, Customs will then 'seal' the locked locker with a seal which is tamper proof. If it is tampered with upon final inspection at your port of leaving you will be prosecuted.

If you are carrying weapons of a particular nature, e.g prohibited weapons, which usually included automatic weapons, they 'May' be seized and as Atol says returned to you at your expense at your port of leaving. This is discretionary on the officers at the time. It all depends on whether they believe they are safe enough to be left on the vessel.

Always declare and you will always NOT be prosecuted. He must have a bit of a sense of humour because he then stipulated that if you declare a kilo of coke, then you will still be prosecuted.

The four weeks notice relates only to the purchase by Australians of restricted items such as weapons for the importing into Australia.

And of course, none of this applies to Australian registered vessels of which the usual state or territory, and federal laws apply even if you are coming from over seas. Though 'declare' and you will avoid prosecution (unless it's a kilo of coke).
for those that might have missed last nights discussion regarding arriving with semi automatic weapons and pistols in Australia,many thanks to" rustic charm" for going down to the Australian customs and getting a definitive answer
Old 25-09-2014, 10:17   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
for those that might have missed last nights discussion regarding arriving with semi automatic weapons and pistols in Australia,many thanks to" rustic charm" for going down to the Australian customs and getting a definitive answer
and eating a little crow along the way. Takes an up standing person in my book to admit defeat. Good Show
Old 25-09-2014, 10:23   #235
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
and eating a little crow along the way. Takes an up standing person in my book to admit defeat. Good Show
+2

now if Factor,and markJ want to comment and accept that you were wrong I will accept your apology gracefully
Old 25-09-2014, 10:23   #236

Boat: Liberty 458

Travelling with weapons is simply too difficult these days. Most nations still seem to treat small ships as a either an annoyance, an invasion or a hard to police border security threat. While cruisers were once able to travel with weapons those days are long gone.

Even if you manage to identify countries which will allow you to enter and leave with weapons the issue is in the doing. When you check in your weapons and ammunition they're likely to be stored in places and in ways that will result in your ammo being consumed or your weapons being left in the elements. For those countries that you would trust to keep your weapons safe will likely frustrate you with their bureaucracy.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-09-2014, 10:26   #237
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Travelling with weapons is simply too difficult these days. Most nations still seem to treat small ships as a either an annoyance, an invasion or a hard to police border security threat. While cruisers were once able to travel with weapons those days are long gone.

Even if you manage to identify countries which will allow you to enter and leave with weapons the issue is in the doing. When you check in your weapons and ammunition they're likely to be stored in places and in ways that will result in your ammo being consumed or your weapons being left in the elements. For those countries that you would trust to keep your weapons safe will likely frustrate you with their bureaucracy.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
not my experience on 2 circumnavigations,but I guess you must have done more than 100,000 miles to make a comment like that
Old 25-09-2014, 10:59   #238
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Im glad that I comment I made aeons ago in this thread that using rules about importing firearms is entirely misleading and is the main issue with Gords lists.

My experience is that there are very few places that prevent you sailing with firearms, despite what certain pro-gun lobbyists might have you believe in the US.

The main hassle comes from the variability of response. Thats my main experience

All this sidesteps the ' why do you need one " discussion
dave
Old 25-09-2014, 11:09   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
All this sidesteps the ' why do you need one " discussion
dave
Please no. We've gone this far without starting a bar fight. Lets not get into the why. That's where it just goes to hell in a hand basket. It's like arguing why beer is better then whiskey or steak is better then chicken. There is no end to the war and millions will perish in the process
Old 25-09-2014, 11:13   #240
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A64-
"English translation makes it assault rifle I guess." Or, a politically driven mistranslation perhaps. It is interesting that the Wiki cites the Encyclopedia Britannica 2010 as being the source of the definition, and the EB itself mentions no source, but goes on to list the Belgian FN FAL and German HKG3 as assault rifles. The FN FAL was classed by NATO as a "main battle rifle" and the G3 is very similar. Both are 7.62x51 cartridges, which are about 3x heavier than the AR15 or AK47, and incredibly unsuitable for any kind of "assault" i.e., a hundred yard dash or longer.

I'd have to say this is an example of the Wiki clearly being unable to cite any sources, and the common failure of crowdsourcing when crowds have agendas.

If anyone has seen the old Disney movie of The Prince and The Pauper, where the pauper is using the heavy royal seal as a nutcracker, the FN FAL is a very similar object. Great for cracking walnuts, among other uses. But really, these are not weapons that you're going to carry at great speeds over any distance.

Since the Wiki and EB seem to think the term dates back to Nazi Germany, but the oh-so-precise German Army didn't use that term either...If I own a 12" kitchen knife, is that an assault knife, too? Apparently there's been a movement in the UK to require all kitchen knives to be blunted, since chefs don't need to stab their food, but a large number of civilians commit assaults with these knives. (You can't make this stuff up.)

Every schoolchild in the US knows all about this. It is the same problem that causes school cafeterias to hand out plastic sporks, and no knives at all.

And then there's the question of what is a military-style weapon anyhow. The Israelis used to build a bottle opener into some of their rifles. Does that mean, any machine with a built-in bottle opener is a military weapon as well? Or the sign outside a certain Ranger base, that said it was the home of the finest weapons in the US Army, the Army Rangers.

So confusing....Must open the good whiskey and discuss this with the nice customs man, at great length.
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, guns