Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 09:03   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I’m impressed by your brand loyalty, if a little underwhelmed by your vehemence. Perhaps, as Hamlet’s Gertrude says: “The lady doth protest too much, methinks.”

Notwithstanding, I’m certain I’ll benefit from your vast experience, obviously much greater than mine.

The Endeavour Yacht Corporation was founded in 1974 by John Brooks and Rob Valdes in Largo, Florida. John Brooks was born in 1934 in New York City and got started in the business first with Charlie Morgan, and later with Ted Irwin, Vince Lazzara (an early owner of Columbia Yachts), and sons Brad and Dick at Gulfstar. Rob Valdes was the younger brother of Dick Valdes, cofounder of Columbia and then later Lancer Yachts. Rob began his career at Columbia, and persuaded by Vince Lazzara, then joined Gulfstar. It was at Gulfstar where Rob met John Brooks.

Which of these gentlemen was an Irwin Engineer?

More Endeavour Sailboat History

And http://www.irwinyachts.com/Irwin_Sto...rwin_Story.htm

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:09   #17

Boat: Endeavour E51, 51.5', S/V Stephanie Lynn
reply on Endeavour

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I’m impressed by your brand loyalty, if a little underwhelmed by your vehemence. Perhaps, as Hamlet’s Gertrude says: “The lady doth protest too much, methinks.”

Notwithstanding, I’m certain I’ll benefit from your vast experience, obviously much greater than mine.

The Endeavour Yacht Corporation was founded in 1974 by John Brooks and Rob Valdes in Largo, Florida. John Brooks was born in 1934 in New York City and got started in the business first with Charlie Morgan, and later with Ted Irwin, Vince Lazzara (an early owner of Columbia Yachts), and sons Brad and Dick at Gulfstar. Rob Valdes was the younger brother of Dick Valdes, cofounder of Columbia and then later Lancer Yachts. Rob began his career at Columbia, and persuaded by Vince Lazzara, then joined Gulfstar. It was at Gulfstar where Rob met John Brooks.

Which of these gentlemen was an Irwin Engineer?

More Endeavour Sailboat History

And http://www.irwinyachts.com/Irwin_Sto...rwin_Story.htm

Nice bio taken from Endeavor website that was mostly taken from "Heart of Glass", by Daniel Spurr and Practical Sailor boat reviews. (as stated on website).

John Brooks who started Endeavour got started in the business first with Charlie Morgan, and later with Ted Irwin. Latter an Erwin Engineer (Plant Manager) that was not mentioned in the bio was Bob Johnson moved to Endeavour and is currently at the helm of Island Packet Yachts.
Sailboats built by Endeavour Yacht Corp. on Sailboatdata.com - (sort by LOA)
Bob Johnson: A Humble Industry Leader … Island Packet Yachts
bluewaterforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:34   #18

How many of gallons diesel would it require

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber1 View Post
How many of gallons diesel would it require. I assume it would only be used from Pananma to San Diego. Idiesel powered)

What about time required.

Thank you for information so far.

I am considering purchasing an Endeavour 52 built in 1989 I beleive.
This answer has many variables. I currently average about 1 gallon per hour on my Perkins 4.236 @ 1800 RPM. This obviously dependent on sailing conditions (wind, current and such). If you average 7 knots you can expect 7 nautical miles per gallon (maybe). The trip from Panama City to San Diego is roughly 3200 nm which works out to be 457 gallons, 168 nm per day and 19 plus days @ sea.
Again weather is everything, you may only get 4 to 6 nautical miles to the gallon.
The Endeavour does not carry that much fuel. I modified 2 of the 5 water tanks on my boat into fuel tanks so that I carry 200 gallons.
There are fuel stops on the way, but I would need to talk with my partner to find out where he stopped.
Remember these are optimistic calculations. I hope this helps.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:20   #19

Planning

Yes, it does help. Thank you! I sailed with my Dad growing up and I made a cruise from Florida to the Panama Canal with my uncle when I was a teenager (30 years ago)

I look forward to getting back into it. I currently fly airplanes for a living so talking the talk helps me shift gears. My wife also is buying me a sailing Captains course. Any suggestions where I should take the course. (prefer San Diego)
Cyber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 13:51   #20

Captains course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber1 View Post
Yes, it does help. Thank you! I sailed with my Dad growing up and I made a cruise from Florida to the Panama Canal with my uncle when I was a teenager (30 years ago)

I look forward to getting back into it. I currently fly airplanes for a living so talking the talk helps me shift gears. My wife also is buying me a sailing Captains course. Any suggestions where I should take the course. (prefer San Diego)
If time is an issue you can take it online @ www.MarinersLearningSystem.com

I do not know schools on West Coast, but I taught at the Chapman's School of seamanship. They are in Stuart Florida.
They have a campus with housing and many boats for hands on skills. I think they go up to 200 ton maybe more and sailing endorsements.
Sorry that all that I have experience with.