Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2007, 19:23   #1

Hello

Hi all,

I thought I would introduce myself here. Probably like a lot of the forum readers I'm dreaming of taking a few years off and seeing some of the world.

I've been trying to absorb as much as I can from the forums, I've been read ing a lot of sailing books, spending too much time surfing the internet looking at boats....

From what I've read I think I'm in good financial shape to take a few years off. I've got young children right now, so I'm hoping to leave in a few years before they are pre-teens, but more than toddlers.

I've put together a five year plan to get to where I want to be. This year was the first - so far basic keelboat lessons and I've been crewing on the beer-can racing circuit every week since. So far the worst (best?) condition so far have been 35 knot gusts in a 27 foot boat. Great fun I thought.

So next year should be more official classes, day chartering bigger boats, more racing. The next two years after that bareboat charters in the tropics, then buying my own boat and casting off.

Thanks to everyone who posts. It's great fun passing the workday away reading the message boards
cubicle_zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 20:42   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Zombie,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. Sounds like you're on the right track with learning to sail and crewing for racers.
Hope you enjoy the forum and if you have any questions or comments please feel free to join in.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:28   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Welcome aboard!

Not only a man with a plan, but actually part way along
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:21   #4

Thanks for the welcome.

My plan is on track as far as I can tell. The big challenge is getting the wife to go (the real deal breaker). A year ago it was "No", but now she will occasionally say things like "When we get to Bora Bora I want to spend time time at a resort" and "your going to have to teach the kids math" - which means she's coming around.

Now I have to wash her car before I can go to the marina today....
Old 08-07-2007, 11:22   #5

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
You are definitely on the right track. LOL Good luck. Welcome aboard
Lancerbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:17   #6

Boat: Olympic 23 "Oddyssea"
pirate

hey there Cubi,
I have to agree... sounds like you are rollin' along with a good plan in place. Just remember, the cruise may not always go as planned, so don't let the unforseen barriers, snags or gremlins get in your way of thinking you are having a successful voyage. I have seen people who plan, plan and plan again get frustrated or angry when they have to deviate from their focus for a minute or two. Not trying to be a bubble-burstin' @$$hole here, I'm glad you are not like me and spring for a trip ober der gulfstream with fifteen dollars in your dirty jean shorts, five warm Red Stripes and your buddy's ex-girlfriend. (John, if you're reading this thread, remember... she said you guys were broke up)
Anyways... I'm just jealous I'm not in as good a shape to cruise like you plan to. I think you are in for a wonderful cruise... and if you are ever in Palm Beach or Port Lucaya and you come across "Section Eight Housing", just hail me and I'll come aboard and help you drink your Sam Adams.
Old 30-06-2008, 09:12   #7

Well, it's been about a year and I know most of you have been eagerly awaiting an update...

Year two of the five year plan is underway. I just finished the second official sailing class. Next year I'll get the ASA certification and do some chartering. Last year was the basic keel boat class, and I crewed 15-20 times on small racers, which was great for learning sail trim and line handling. I also went "pleasure sailing" with a range of folks - some which were great and some who, um, downright frightened me with the amount of drinking and poor seamanship they displayed. I guess both sorts expanded my nautical horizons.

Anyway, the plan as it stands now is buying a catamaran in the 40 foot range in about 4 years and taking off with the kids (currently 5 and 3) for at least 2 years (or more). I plan on initially spending about $250,000 on the boat and upgrades/servicing. I'll have some income from renting my house while we are cruising (probably about $1000-$1200 per month after taxes and all that). Obviously I've been fortunate enough to gather enough savings to do this, and while my budget is certainly larger than many others who are planning the same journey, I'll still be watching my expenses. I count on being able to sell the boat when I'm done and recouping some of the money.

Even though I don't post often, I regularly read the forums and try and absorb as much as I can. Thanks for all of the feedback and insight that you salty sailors provide about the realities of cruising.
Old 30-06-2008, 22:07   #8

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Zombie,
Well done on sticking with it and really nice to see it all turn into reality.
Congratulations as this does not happen with most!
Sail safe, and keep us all posted.
JOHN
Old 30-06-2008, 22:27   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
CZ - Excellent tracking. Maybe you'll fill us in more frequently than once per year - LOL.

I would love to hear about your club racing!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:58   #10

Hey Ex-Calif,

The club racing was just the "Beer can" races. Not too serious, but still some competitiveness. I mostly worked the fore deck, helping with the spinnaker and such, but my real team role is being rail meat (I weigh quite a bit!).

I was asked if I would like to crew on some of the more serious races, but I couldn't commit to being available on the race weekends (my job interferes with my life now and then). I would have loved to do it, but I don't want to risk getting a reputation as a flake or unreliable crew.

Now I'm mostly just waiting for the kids to grow up. I thought about buying a smaller boat, but after grinding the numbers it just makes sense to day charter once or twice a month. I admire the folks out there who are cruising with toddlers. I just can't imagine dealing with a tantrum while having to handle the boat as well. My 5 year old has been out sailing and loved it. She gets a kick out of the idea that a house can be inside a boat.

I would post more often, but using the search function usually turns up the same question I have. I'm sure I'll be posting a lot more as the time comes to pack up the house and buy a boat.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:07   #11

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I would also suggest that you put your name on the Cruising Rally Association crew list. You can be crew on a boat going to the Caribbean from Virginia, or from the Caribbean to Bermuda. No pay generally but a good way to get some offshore experience.
Rallys are in November and May.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 21:04   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubicle_zombie View Post
The club racing was just the "Beer can" races. Not too serious, but still some competitiveness. I mostly worked the fore deck, helping with the spinnaker and such, but my real team role is being rail meat (I weigh quite a bit!).
For us beer can racing is fun especially when another Maxi shows up and we are not racing against our own handicap, Then Relax Lah! doesn't act so relaxed - LOL.

Last race we lost by 45 seconds. I was skippering and it came down to one bad tack ;-(

Keep up the good work. You've done more than a lot of folks with the last year and are having fun, which is the whole point of it!
Old 19-04-2010, 15:41   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
CZ - Excellent tracking. Maybe you'll fill us in more frequently than once per year - LOL.
Well, Ex-Calif, I missed the entire 2009 update! But that doesn't mean I haven't been lurking on the forum.

Anyhoo, for the yearly update: In 2009 took some more ASA classes, got the bare boat certification, a little less beer can racing

2010 looks like it will be a little more interesting. I'm in sailboat partnership! Hopefully I will be out with the family twice a month for some sailing and just getting used to spending overnights on the boat.

The boat is a bit old, but in perfectly fine sailing shape (recently repowered, new running rigging, decent sails). In exchange for what I think is a reasonable rate I get 1/2 usage. There are some boat projects that I have committed to helping with as part of the agreement. To me that actually works out well because I want to learn some boat repair/maintenance skills before buying my own boat.

Sorry to resurrect this old post, but I just want to let everyone know that not everyone that pops up on the site has unrealistic cruising dreams.

And also to give thanks to everyone who writes tidbits about sailing. I'm not much of a writer but I surely do enjoy reading the forums.
Old 19-04-2010, 17:13   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Outstanding and welcome back!

I am sure you will have fun with the boat. When you get a chance (maybe next year or so) post some pics!