Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 06:16   #1

Boat: 1970 Albin Vega 27
Hello (Again) from the Chesapeake

My name is Aaron. I was bitten by the sailing bug about 30 years ago, sailing Hobies on the Indian River in FL but I took a 20 year break from sailing to work for uncle. I joined this board originally a few years back after reading "Into The Light" by Dave and Jaja Martin. Got myself a 68 Cal 25 hull and got so busy refitting and sailing, sailing and refitting that I forgot about this place. I got a dose of reality with that boat. Learning that I'm not indestructible was quite the bitter pill but I'd like to think I'm better for the it.

In the meantime, the economy went south, at 45 I found myself without employment and found the Chesapeake and her tributaries clogged with abandoned boats, power and sail. So I've amassed a nice collection of classic sailboats and begun cleaning them up and making them seaworthy. I currently sail a 1970 Albin Vega out of Bodkin Creek and keep my little fleet on Nabbs Creek. Yes, they are for sale and I don't want to be branded a spammer so if you want to know, contact me in private.

I plan to actually sail someplace outside the CB with this boat. I have friends along the Gulf Coast and if this British Petroleum goatscrew gets resolved I'd like to cruise Corpus to Naples next Spring.

Anyway I look forward to your collective sage advice and the typical antics found when a group of sailors gather.
RedBellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:54   #2

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Good luck in harvesting the 'mature' heritage of boats. Too many are discarded, often in decent condition at the time. Keep your prices real and the ownership documents sound and you'll get your reward.
Old 02-05-2010, 19:48   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. The Albin Vega is a good boat by reputation. I nearly bought a Cal 25 back in the 80s until a friend pointed out the dryrot in the bulkheads. Good to have friends check things out. I get blinded by passion sometimes.
Let me know if you find a Pearson Ariel.
regards,
Old 02-05-2010, 20:06   #4

Boat: 1970 Albin Vega 27
Thanks Eleven and John. And since you asked... Actually I know where a Pearson could be had, not sure if it's an Ariel or an Ensign (I know, there's 48" of LOA and a lot more between them). It's up the Potomac a few miles and spent a little time in the mud but it's a freebie. I also have a Bristol Caravelle, a Paceship Eastwind, a Coronado 23 and a Cal Jensen 27. And what I believe to be one of the last 5 Grampian Classic 31 Ketches still seaworthy. Who needs a job? I have WORK.
RedBellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 22:46   #5
bvh

Boat: macgregor 26 (atm)
Gidday Redbellies , Firstly.........WOW
secondly.....you mustnt be married im figuring
thirdly..... i just got my First yacht and im excited , you must be like a dog with two d*cks.
Finally....yes i hope BP sort out that mess you guys have got goin on over there !
(the end of the world is nigh)
bvh is offline   Reply With Quote