Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2006, 10:23   #1

Hello All

Just dropping a line to the forum as I have just registered today. A bit about me I suppose is in order, I am fully inexperienced with sailing but a freind of the wind and water with interests in Paragliding and Kitesurfing. Through my experiences with gliders I have gained knowledge of wind and how to work with it to achieve goals. I know that sailing will require a different set of skills and knowledge but that is just a little about what sparked my interest in this beautiful sport.

Thanks for reading and look forward to gaining learning from the years of experience that I am sure is here.

Quick question: Thinking of going to a sailing school to learn the basics. I will be going during the mid to late winter, where would be good, places I have freinds or others reasons to travel to besides just sailing are Hawaii, San Fran, Cape Cod or Florida. what do you think?
GustFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:21   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Gust,
Welcome aboard!!
Not many sailing schools in Hawaii. The politicians here have not been kind to sailors in the past 40 years. I'm looking for a turnaround in that soon but not soon enough for more good schools to pop up for you. Here's one I know is good but I don't know their schedule or their ability to issue you credentials. Aloha Sailing, phone (808) 883-9230, email alohasailing@yahoo.com in Kona, Big Island, Hawaii.
That leaves Florida as your other option for mid to late winter.
I'm certain you'll hear other comments here. All your questions will be answered.
Kind Regards, --JohnL--
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 14:57   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You might check out the US Sailing and American Sailing Association web sites they both are good schools with good instructors. They are everywhere there is water and you might find one in a place you want to be in. Many teach course in the BVI during the winter. Some are live aboard courses as well. The one week ASA course I took with my wife in San Diego was actually cheaper than 6 nights at a downtown hotel and we lived on the boat and sailed and took the course.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 20:41   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
SF is not a good place to take a mid winter sailing course. It can be very cold and misserable. FL is nice. Been there the last couple of winters for ine week charters and enjoyed it. San Diego in the winter is nice but wind can be a problem Too much or too little. Also check out Orange Coast College in the LA area.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 14:30   #5

To Bad to hear about Hawaii as that was certainly my first choice. My girlfreind just left Utah where we had both been going to school to return home to HI. I sure was thinking that would work pretty well. Oh well. Really I am not looking for schools for just that time frame. Summers I ussually do a good amount of paragliding and wouldn't wanna give that up but certainly could.
I guess if it's not to much to ask where would you go to learn how to sail in the States or circa? I am a recent college graduate with no responsibility and no bills so I am truly game for anything. I think the live aboard schools sound outstanding and SF is actually where a good freind of mine took classes, said the conditions were strong and consistent and spoke highly of the experience. If it effects the locationl of the school, my goals for sailing are to have the skills to sail big water, major ocean crossings for of course what else but a trip around the world.
So thanks again and I am sure this has been touched on before but I would love to hear what you have to say.
Brendan
to bad for HI i was truly looking forward to seeing Wai mea on the Big Island again soon. and that cute hawaiin girl that ran off
GustFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 17:55   #6

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Look at San Diego. Good venue. Insturction available. Closer than FL.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote