Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2012, 12:33   #1

Boat: any and all USCG Cutters
Hello all!

New here..I am currently in the USCG and spend a lot of time on boats, so naturally I want to spend more! I am hoping to get a liveaboard in the next year or so. I am currently an engineer, study naval architecture and marine engineering, and have done deck watch officer type duties as well. I can't wait to have a boat to take out on my own! Unfortunately we don't get the longest leave periods to cruise, so that will have to come later in life.
CGbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 15:55   #2

Boat: any and all USCG Cutters
Re: Hello all!

Also this is the last thing I have had the opportunity to sail..I have a couple months underway time on her.

USCG BARQUE EAGLE
CGbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 16:37   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, CGbeachbum.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 08:01   #4

Ahhhh, the Eagle! One of my favorites.

Welcome to the forums! We're also AD USCG and are stationed down in Cape May, NJ at the TRACEN. Hubby is 19 years in and looking at another 11 until he retires fully. We have the liveaboard/circumnavigate/cruiser dream on a 41' but until we get the necessary funds saved up, we're starting off smaller with a 22' to learn on. Much like you, a whole career afloat, but none on anything w/ masts and riggings, so we're definite beginners.

There's a lot of hugely helpful info here about monos vs. multis, cruising on budgets, cruising on military pensions, best drinks and music for cruising (two of my favorites!) and a wealth of engineering, manufacturer, liveaboard info and a bizillion other threads more. If you can't find it here, I'm sure it hasn't been thought of yet.

The general attitude is whatever gets you off dry land, go do it! Chase the dream, live the life however you can and create your own opportunity. Life is precious and much shorter than we all like to believe...

Fair winds and following seas, my fellow Coastie!

~Danielle
JerseyMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 16:51   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. No matter what your experience is I do recommend basic sailing lessons offered by base MWRs all over the world. I had been shipboard for nearly 10 years before learning how to sail small boats and sail handling is a bit different than standing watches aboard cutters or in my case destroyers and cruisers.
You'll be miles ahead when you do get that first cruising vessel with a diesel engine though.
kind regards,