Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2007, 13:53   #1

Boat: Pearson Flyer 30
Hello Forum

This is a great site and I have been reading with great interest some of the threads regarding the 4107(8).

I am in the process of deciding to buy a 35' with a 4107(or 8 not sure). As per the broker it needs rebuild, etc. Then he said it was running at last use (5 +/- years ago).

I have yet to see the boat, as it is a 10 hour drive and I'm still weighing this out. I will make time towards the end of the week to take the drive. My purpose will be liveaboard, then cruising all the way to oblivion.

The viability of the engine is of great concern. I will try to do as much of the work myself. I'm not a mechanic, but I won't let that stop me.

Anyway, I'm glad this site exists, and I'll try to share what I see after the inspection. I am hoping to get coached up to speed to help make this dream a reality.

I'm a lifelong sailor, though the biggest boat we've had is a Pearson Ariel. I have plenty to learn about the engine, electrical, and other things like the self steering gear. Thanks...
Old 31-03-2007, 14:52   #2
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Welcome aboard Richard.

Good luck with the boat. Plenty of expertise here with engines & electrical systems. Ask away. Take lots of pics they help getting help.

Rick
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 15:58   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Welcome aboard SC35

"5 +/- years". Hummmm!

It sounds as if it's been sitting for a long while. Not in the water I would hope. If it's been semi-abandoned then it's going to have other issues. The motor maybe the reason for the reluctance of use.

I'm just guessing here, but that's the impression I get right off. If you’re not that in tune with motors I would be a little standoffish about picking up this vessel. Diesel's are not cheap and they cost a lot for someone else to install another one.

Plus that opens up another whole can of worms. Then you find out the tyranny needs rebuilding. Oh! And the prop shaft and/or prop have the typical corrosion and needs replacing. And all the thru hull fittings are froze up, and on and on.

I'm not trying to discourage you But educate you before jumping into the wrong boat. Get some pictures and look all around the boat in all the hidden places especially around anything that passes thru the hull or deck.

The rigging will be the next highest in cost. If it looks bad, it IS bad! Bad motor bad rigging. Time to walk away.

But on the other hand this guy may have been living aboard himself and the boat is spit shined and polished. You never know until you walk up to them.

IMHO I wouldn't make the discussion until you've driven home and had a good nights rest. Another day will give you time to think!!!!!!

Fair winds to ya.............................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 20:02   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha SC35,
If you do a search on this forum for 4-107 or 4-108 you'll close in on a whole bunch of stuff that might help.'
Don't give up on the engine but be cautious in trying to fire it up after 5 years.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 20:09   #5

From what I am told, the owner died some time ago and the wife hasn't done much with the boat, except pay for dockage. I reckon there
's not to much to say until I take a look. Looong drive to do so, but i've heard there now is the option of air travel.

This distance between myself and the boats location makes the project far more daunting. If I were to buy, then i'd have to get her into shape for a 600 mile coastal sail to get her here. That means I have to get the boat ready up there, without losing too much time from my business.

I'm sure that many are already shaking their heads side to side, but I crave a new direction in my life.

Skipper John,

Is the caution you suggest before firing to indicate the following? Change lubricants, fresh water, filters, fuel source, etc. Clean wire terminals, replace as needed. Your thoughts on these matters are appreciated. Can I clean injectors effectively. Basically I ask at this time...what are the advised steps in getting this going again? Thankkkkkkks
Old 31-03-2007, 20:21   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Here's what I recommended in a different forum a couple days ago. Before you pull the engine and have it torn apart to look it over may I suggest you try a couple of things first?
1. Disconnect all the fuel lines and use compressed air to clean them all out. Take the injectors to a shop and have them tested. Unless you have the test bench it is hard to check them yourself.
2. While the injectors are out put some very light oil in the injector holes and turn the engine over by about 20 times. After that get as much of the oil the you've put in the holes out whatever way you can.
3. Make certain the injector pump is getting lubricated. If there is a place to hand lubricate it then fill it.
4. Make certain the engine oil is new and clean.
5. Reinstall the injectors and fuel lines.
6. Make certain the fuel you have is perfectly clean and that all filters are new.
7. Bleed the injectors and fuel lines and attempt to start it. Bleeding all air out of the system is essential. If there is air in a fuel line, that cylinder will not fire.
8. Do not spray anything into the intake like ether or WD 40. If after 5 tries and it doesn't start then bleed the system again. All air must be out of the system at the injectors. Try another 5 times.
I'll bet it starts. When it starts make certain cooling water is coming out with the exhaust. If not, shut it down immediately. Check the cooling water system and get it working properly.
After about 15 minutes of running time check the smoke at the exhaust and see if it is white, black, brown or clean. Let us know and we'll help with whatever else you need.
There are many more better mechanics on this forum than me but that'll get you started.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 20:33   #7

Sounds good. muchas gracias