Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2021, 07:00   #1

pirate Hello Friends! A fun poll to get to know you

Ahoy new sailing friends!

I am a fairly new sailor (RYA Competent Crew) and have enjoyed reading your posts here and learning from your expertise.

I wanted to start my time in the forums here with a fun post.

Where in the world was your favourite place to sail? And why was it your favourite?

I have only managed to sail around the coast of the UK so far, so would love to get bucket-list ideas of where to go!

Looking forward to reading your responses
DeckieGirl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 07:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hello Friends! A fun poll to get to know you

South coast UK, Poole to Falmouth, nice anchorages, nice beaches, great pubs and memorable cruises for various reasons.
Caribe for the weather, steady winds, a different island and peoples just a day away, great food and anchorages..
The Spanish ria's of Galicia..
The Med sucks if your not a Culture Vulture..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 13:58   #3

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: Hello Friends! A fun poll to get to know you

Norway. It’s cold, might snow, wind comes in unpredictable gusts and they go out for an afternoon sail without any qualms. Got to love sailors like this.
Japan. Where any sailor is simply treated as an honorable guest. Incredible hospitality. Like Taiwan, a stunning cultural experience.
Cuba. The pristine northwest reefs. The people. Vinales valley.
S.E Massachusetts. Home. Buzzards Bay. Slocum River. You have to love a speck of an island off Martha’s Vinyard called No Mans land and the Wompanoag tribe who never signed a treaty. Whalers were the first true long range cruisers.
Life is short. Just sail away as soon as you can.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew. “Sirenia” says it all doesn’t it.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 00:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Japan. Where any sailor is simply treated as an honorable guest. Incredible hospitality. Like Taiwan, a stunning cultural experience.
Hope to one day ..…
Sohum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 00:49   #5

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

New Zealand, great boats great boating ,has a fair bit of everything any water type person could want ,.next lord Howell island .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 04:38   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

My favourite place to sail has always been the next new destination .
The Research ... the Route Planning, Preparation and Anticipation excited me in ways that the reality never could.
Upon Arrival it was the people and the wildlife that would accidentally cross your path, who stole the show .
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 04:58   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hello Friends! A fun poll to get to know you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
My favourite place to sail has always been the next new destination .
The Research ... the Route Planning, Preparation and Anticipation excited me in ways that the reality never could.
Upon Arrival it was the people and the wildlife that would accidentally cross your path, who stole the show .
Yup.. this is true..
My original answer was based on the OP's declared skill set and limitations through not being a boat owner.
My best places have generally been in open waters away from land and solo, crossing the Atlantic, the Aussie Bight, the Caribe.. but her following thread confirmed my assumption that she is more a social animal than someone who would relish the wide open spaces.. sailing is just another facet of her social life to explore.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 06:05   #8
cruiser

St Vincent Gulf
South Australia.

Only place I've ever sailed though besides odd days on rivers , lakes.

Why? Gets a stupid high angle short wave,
Shipping channel boarders shoals, consistent wind direction, great fun for broaching practice along 12-4 fathom ledge. Goes for miles and miles.
Semi protected waters.
Easy to navigate. Westerly by compass, easterly by site sights. Mountains, chimney lights.
Makes easy to learn sail systems as can usually plot a course coordinated with single tack and learn or go into a beat up coast to Kangaroo Island; land of dead prior white settlers; ancient burial grounds. From KI is a quarter stern reach all the way to Port Adelaide.
If northerly forecast, beware of passage between island and mainland. Becomes a dumping riptide. Blankets entire vessel, drains, blankets, drains, blankets and probably hymns beneath around 10 knots or more.
Beautiful to look at though. We just stay ashore and laugh at the penguins flying around, standing on a rock, face was over 3 metres height in semi sheltered waters.
Is nice though.
Combination entrances and gulf can form Delta wave triangulation. We tend to be wary there although small, but is fun surfing into beat to be broadsided.
Wouldn't mind Tasmania though. Heave on hammer down into Hells Gate then drop pick and dinghy sail around mobile home on my wants list.
CruiseN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 16:44   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34 (waiting for me in Tahtiti)

Vancouver, Canada is opposite The Gulf Islands, a chain of islands between Vancouver Island and the mainland. Further north is Desolation Sound. Captain George Vancouver named it "cryptically claiming there was not a single prospect that was pleasing to the eye". He must have arrived in winter as it's superb in the summer.
Rounding Vancouver Island is not to be missed with hot springs and pacific wildlife as you sail and dozens of bays in which to hide if the weather blows up or simply to anchor and enjoy.

Now I have a favour is I may?

I'm one of the learning coordinators for a local sailing club, www.bluewatercruising.org.
I am interested in gathering the kind of questions and concerns a person new to sailing might ask. I'll turn those into discussion groups or mini-tutorials.
The obvious would be "how do I learn". Or, "where may I buy a boat without buying wreck" is a good start — so what questions spring to your mind? In other words, what are the sort of mini-lectures a novice might be like to hear about?
Thanks in advance! DM me anytime =)
KG
KitGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:28   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitGriffin View Post
I am interested in gathering the kind of questions and concerns a person new to sailing might ask. I'll turn those into discussion groups or mini-tutorials.

The obvious would be "how do I learn". Or, "where may I buy a boat without buying wreck" is a good start — so what questions spring to your mind? In other words, what are the sort of mini-lectures a novice might be like to hear about? Thanks in advance! DM me anytime =) KG
These are the very questions that regularly asked on CF, which has a wealth of knowledge. Do have a search of the forums rather than re-inventing the wheel.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:51   #11

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34 (waiting for me in Tahtiti)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
These are the very questions that regularly asked on CF, which has a wealth of knowledge. Do have a search of the forums rather than re-inventing the wheel.

Pete
Thank you Pete - that's great advice I'll work on that now. However, I'm thinking about the vastness of CF where should I start to search?
KitGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 15:23   #12

Boat: Mirage 35

Georgian Bay (Great Lakes): as a very junior instructor on a liveaboard course I got to know one of my students quite well (all consenting adults but this would probably be considered some kind of harassment nowadays). We've been together for the subsequent 35 years and are currently sailing Lake Ontario.

And Georgian Bay is an absolutely glorious place to sail. Especially good if you like narrow channels, uncharted rocks, and a wilderness setting.
Old 04-07-2021, 16:54   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitGriffin View Post
Thank you Pete - that's great advice I'll work on that now. However, I'm thinking about the vastness of CF where should I start to search?
Kit, there are frequently new users of CF whose post questions show up in New Posts. If you want to search for such posts, use the CF Custom Google Search function under the Search menu. The first one is case sensitive and requires an exact match, and does not work well for concepts like "getting started".

Also, looking back through Meets & Greets will show you some concerns.

Ann

Tags
fun, poll