Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2010, 06:35   #1

Hello from a Forward-Deployed Sailor

Hi everyone! I've enjoyed reading the forums in here for some time now. I am getting ready to retire from the US Navy in about 9 months at which point my wife and I plan on beginning a new sailing life. We have been planning it for about the last 15 years. My plan is to retire, get a job somewhere for about 2-3 years while we purchase/upgrade/move onto our boat. I have a daughter getting ready to start college or else I would forgo the getting a job for about 2-3 years, but we want to get her good and into college before we take off.
I am planning to buy a used Catamaran because of everything that we have looked at so far, it is the most appealing to my wife. I have read numerous posts here and have been to a few boat shows. We havent fully made up our minds yet, but there are several brands that we are looking at.
Being deployed right now doesnt help my shopping ability, but I'm looking forward to getting home and doing some serious looking. My wife and I are also planning on going to the Annapolis boat show this fall. We want to see as many boats as we can to help narrow our choice down.
Looking forward to retiring from the Navy and becoming a "sailor".
Thanks for all the great posts. I've learned a lot already from this forum.
ChuckA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 06:57   #2

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Thank you for your service. I am an old 2 year reserve BM3 with 2 WestPacs behind me and I know enough to say that your time in and what you did is appreciated by me. I am 2nd of 3 generations of Navy, all one hitchers.

Well, no more deployments, no more lonnnnnnggg workdays w/o overtime, I wish you clear skies, calm seas and fair winds.

What I like most about living aboard is knowing I am the Captain, and we get underway if I say so. I do not have to worry about making it back to the ship or any of that nonsense. We go when I say so. I found that refreshing as opposed to the other.
Old 22-05-2010, 21:47   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome and thank you for your service (and thanks to your family too ). I am an Air Force brat myself, my dad was Air force and mom the Navy.
Hope you are out on the water soon.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 22-05-2010, 23:19   #4

Hey Boats (Mule) and Ocean Girl. Thank you for the warm welcome and it is an honor to serve. But, looking forward to it being over and getting out on a real Sailboat and, like Boats said being the Captain and getting underway and pulling in when I want to.
Old 22-05-2010, 23:30   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Ditto the above from another ex-Navy. I've been planning this since I left Viet Nam in `73. The boats about done and about a couple years away of casting off.
Old 22-05-2010, 23:38   #6

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Thanks for your service, glad you're safe.
Florida seems to be the most consistently well stocked place in the US that I've seen with boats to check out. The North East is the other great place but I think few cats per capita. If I don't find one near home I'll move to FL for a little while I suspect to ease the transition and lessen the flying around to look at boats.
Even if some folks poke at you for wanting a cat, the fact that your wife wants one as opposed to not wanting a boat at all is plenty enough reason for any sane man.
Yeah, that's a greatroom, honey. with a 360 degree view. I like it too, is what one should say at that juncture.
My wife was an MK in the CG back in the day, that was a pretty good life for us.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 00:08   #7

I thought that there might be a little poking for the wanting of a cat, but thats cool. I dont mind. Me personally I could care less what I went to sea in, as long as I go. It could have one, two, three or whatever number of hulls. For me its more about being at sea and free to go where I want and seeing the rest of the world. The wife is very enthusiastic about going and has been wanting to go for as long as I have. She actually originated the idea about 15 years ago when I was making a decision to stay in the Navy or get out. But, as enthusiastic as she is, after 20 years of marriage, I know her pretty well. I "made the mistake" of showing her a cat pic on the internet one day and then we went to the marina to see one and that was about it. The decision was made. I think what sold her were the windows that she could see out of while cooking or lounging around. I have to agree that I like that aspect too. So, that seems to be the direction we are heading. We do plan on living aboard and sailing a lot, so whatever it takes to keep me at sea, i'm in. I'm not completely ruling monohulls out, there were some that she looked at that she really liked, but I think the window thing got her and she knows that I would go to sea in a bathtub, if I thought that I could get where I wanted to safely. Oh, and have room enuogh inside for beer.
Old 23-05-2010, 00:29   #8

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Welcome Aboard

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 16:09   #9
bvh

Boat: macgregor 26 (atm)
Ahoy&Gidday , as your allies downunder,thankyou for your service Chuck, and wow youve a great wife i read, all the best with your well thought out plans.
see you on the blue
bvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 09:23   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
I thought that there might be a little poking for the wanting of a cat, but thats cool.
No big thing here. It's a mind set for some. Some people will only ride Harley's too. Personally, I think most just can not swing the cost or a place to keep a Cat and that creates the negative attitude for some. A "If I can't have one then they're no good" attitude.

This forum was started by a Cat owner, as you can see from the forums heading. My wife would move aboard if we had a 40+ Cat but 99% of them are on the other side of the Island and hard to find over here.

Enjoy!........................._-/)
Old 24-05-2010, 09:36   #11

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Chuck,

Congrats on your 20!!! Also, major kudos to you and your wife for keeping the family together during a Navy career.

Fair winds and following seas.

FC1
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 14:24   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Thanks for your service. I've been retired Navy now since '91 and have to say that its been pretty great. I hope you can follow your dream and cruise soon. I caution you not to start rebuilding or building a boat. Just buy what you will be happy with even if it means staying at work a couple extra years. Fixer uppers are ok but not major refit.
Many folks here prefer cats but I just like their motion at sea so have settled for sailing monhulls since I learned in '72 how to be a "real" sailor.
I also recommend taking a sailing course if you haven't already. Get your wife and daughter involved in learning too.
kind regards,