Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2014, 17:24   #1

Boat: Hunter, 270
Hello From Adelaide

Hi - we are still learning to sail. Have now had our Hunter 270 for about 4 years. Sail around Semaphore and Outer Harbour, North Haven. We are yet to spend a night on water in "Mirage".

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
YvetteandJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 04:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hello From Adelaide

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Yvette & John.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 12:10   #3

Hi Yvette and John
I cut my teeth on a Macgregor based at North Haven. One " overnighter" was anchored in front of the Seacliff SLC. It was late summer and it was calm. You get a shelter from the SW sea breeze. Wirrina is doable, so is Port Vincent but the rest is on the hook. We have moved on to a 38 footer in the Ionian islands and spend 3 months each year there. Good winds,, plenty of ports, great food great onshore adventures. Happy to help you out any time. Stay in touch.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 13:51   #4

Hi dlymn

Great to hear. We are certainly intending on spending a night on the water this summer. Currently we are trying to work out how to fix our wind vane as the birds messed with it for us. Not sure whether our mast is string enough for one of us to go up there to fix a new one to it. Had it slipped last week but Port River Marine did not have a crane handy. Don't really want to pay big $ for a crane if it is not necessary. Have you perhaps any advice on this? Also where is the Ionian Islands? We are keen to do something more adventurous ourselves.

Old 23-11-2014, 19:54   #5

I think that the Hunter 270 is a trailer sailer like the Macgregor and so it should be a simple task to take the mast down (unstep it) The Macgregor had an extra winch and pole that made the job a one person operation. You can read all about it on the Macgregor website. The mast is not very heavy and it could even be managed by a couple of muscly people with what is on the boat.

The wind and waves in the gulf cleaned up a couple of my anemometers and so I became used to replacing them.

The Ionian islands are in Greece in the sea between Greece and Italy. Here is our blog about our journeys Austral Sailing

Unfortunately it is one of the best sailing spots in the world but the worst kept secret and so it does get crowded at times.

You are welcome to drop in any time you like and come for a sail from say, Corfu to Lefkas and then sail up and down the inland sea- wonderful.
Old 23-11-2014, 21:29   #6

There seems to be information about stepping the mast of Hunter 260s but they seem to treat the 270 differently.
If you have access to the CYCSA marina, there's a tall crane that you can use to raise or lower your mast . it's just east of the launching ramp inside the grounds. You even might be able to negotiate with someone to go up the mast using this crane You should also be able to use the crane to lean the mast back enough for you to put on a new vane standing on the quay next to the crane

Otherwise, speak nicely to someone with a big boat. They will have a bosun's chair that you can use to climb the mast using one of the halyards and a 2 speed winch or the anchor winch.
Old 24-11-2014, 03:13   #7

Hi again

Yes the Hunter 260 is a trailer sailer but our Hunter 270 is unfortunately not and we have checked and checked but apparently it is not collapsible. John is a racing member at CYCSA and we may have to use their crane to get up there. We purchased a bosun chair but the winches was not strong enough or maybe it was us not strong enough. We have decided to put bigger self tailing winches on and we may be able to pull one of us up with a bigger winch.

We are determined to go out at least one day every week so we need to get it fixed and get out there. Which months do you spend in Greece. Have just read up on the islands. It does look amazing

Old 24-11-2014, 03:51   #8

Deck stepped masts are not hard to lower. We took ours completely off when we took the boat up the Rhone/Saone. The whole job took a hour. The actual crane lift part took 15 minutes
For going up the mast, we use 2 lines,1to the chair and 1 to a safety harness. We have a 2 speed winch on the mast and a long winch handle, but it's still hard work. We never depend on a self tailer, but always tie off on a cleat. Anne goes up the mast because she's lighter. I wind ten turns and then take up the slack in the second line and so on. It's not easy.

Next year we arrive in Corfu on may 1 and leave July 1. It is getting fairly hot by then. We also visit a different country each year. 2015 it's the Netherlands.
Old 24-11-2014, 04:00   #9

Thanks for that. Yes will keep in mind to tie off on a cleat etc. just thought as we need to get bigger winches we would get self tailers.

You will love the Netherlands. I spent two years there - 1982 and 1983. Loved it.

Old 24-11-2014, 12:23   #10

Your new winch needs to be 2 speed if you want to hoist someone up the mast. Small winches actually have a better mechanical advantage. Our hoisting winch is only a 4 incher but it is 2 speed. Very long winch handles improve leverage. It's better if your lifting line doesn' t have any bends(shackles) in it. A winch on the mast is an asset.
Old 24-11-2014, 13:06   #11

Oh. Thanks. Did not know that. Have a great day

Old 24-11-2014, 14:19   #12

Boat: Mamba 311, 31

Welcome.
Alot of interesting reading on this forum.
Old 26-11-2014, 22:06   #13

Boat: Lightwave 38

Just wanted to second dlymn's comment about anchoring off Seacliff. It's a great spot to overnight, and the views of the city lights are lovely.

Tuck in close and there is good shelter from NE through S, although it can be a little bumpy with westerly swell. It's time to move however if the wind swings to the W.

PS Throw a couple of squid jigs overboard and you'll be rewarded with calamari for the bbq.
Old 26-11-2014, 22:57   #14

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Hello YvetteandJohn,

Another spot to anchor, which you probably know about already, is to the south of the breakwater at the entrance to the Port River, if there is no chance of any wind with Southerly component. I often drop anchor there and cook dinner, read a book or just do work on the boat. Not much fun if the afternoon SW comes in though.

We have also spent the night anchored off the Semaphore jetty after watching the firewooks on Australia Day, that was a treat, and there was plenty of company, about 20 or so boats anchored around us.

Matt
Old 27-11-2014, 02:55   #15

Hi Matt and scruzin

Thanks for the info. We have anchored on the south side of the breakwater for an afternoon and a swim but was too nervous to stay the night. We keep second guessing ourselves regarding whether our anchor is good enough etc. we most certainly will overnight somewhere this summer.

Hope we bump into you guys sometime!

Yvette