Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 02:38   #1
o_q

pirate Hello From Behind The Monocle

My official introduction (after over 100 posts)

So far, I've been impersonal, and I haven't shared much. I don't yet own a boat, so I feel this isn't my reality yet, or at least, I have/had nothing to contribute. I'll start with this.

I'm a software developer in my early 30's. My experience of my career so far has been this daily routine in a cubical. I'm not a fan of routines. Especially a routine that exemplifies the slow pace of my deprived personal life. A 9-to-5 with a commute that eats yet another 2 hours of my day. Forget the nature of my job because honestly, many people have it worse than me. To fathom just the amount of time of my life spent on my career. It's just wrong. This is not how anyone should live.

My contract was up, and I'd saved money to buffer between the transition to my new job. I wasn't burnt-out, but I wanted to relax. I wanted something else, but I wasn't quite sure what. No hurry though, I had enough time to figure it out. I wasn't even worried about a new job. In fact, I'd saved enough to not worry about it for a year, so I took my time. With all this free time, I could actually think. I could think about things I wouldn't have if kept wound-up in my daily routine of working. It was an epiphany, really, that it was my repetitive behavior that kept me in this state of mind that, in hindsight, looks like a box - a confining box that wouldn't let me consider possibilities beyond it. Experiencing this as someone who is considerably open-minded, I have no doubt in my mind this is how most people think, and I consider this whenever I talk about my desire to live aboard.

Long before any of this, I borrowed "Sailing for dummies". Don't laugh. I don't really know why, it just seemed interesting at the time. There wasn't much thought put into it, and I barely read the thing. Years go by, and I finally pick it up, and skim through it. I had the time to do so. I had the time to think about life in a different way. Sailing - an concept so far from any reality I'd ever lived. I'm not saying it's magical, but it was never part of my life. Besides, a boat must cost a fortune! I readily dismissed the entire idea until now. But that book - an insignificant event at the library proved significant, and would shape something bigger than I expected.

I'm not sure when or how it started, but something or someone planted the seed of the idea of living on a boat - a concept so foreign to me. More foreign than simply sailing one. At this point, I hadn't even considered, however obvious it might be, the basic things one needs in life, or simply to survive. I hadn't applied this to a boat, let alone know what a boat comprised of. Obviously it has all I need, but I didn't know that at the time. I googled everything I could on it. I was looking at boats on sites like yatchworld. I was crawling up a steep learning curve. Even learning how sailboats were layed out. I would put myself in the shoes of someone who would live on something like this, and this solidified the confidence that it was possible to do. I know it sounds silly to everyone here, but I knew NOTHING. Eventually the idea settled in that if other people are doing it, so could I - a concept that was prominent in the theme of my "epiphany".

Still, never having stepped foot in a sailboat, I am sure this is something I want to do. These three things are the foundation of why living aboard / cruising is my dream.
  • I don't ever again want to be dependent on a routine. (abstraction from a composite of action and time "do this thing at this time for this long")
  • I don't ever again want to be anchored (figuratively) in any one place. (abstraction from space)
  • And I don't ever again want to be a cog in a system that has nearly a nonexistent fault tolerance. (abstraction from the causality created by external entities)
In other words, for example, I don't want to be homeless because I can't pay rent in the case that I suddenly lose a job. A scenario that is very close to home for an increasing amount of Americans these days. Sure, you need money for owning a boat too, obviously, but that's not what I'm talking about. Think of those who've lost their homes due to adjustable-rate mortgages. My government and the banks they're in bed with, have clearly created a system we are fooled into thinking works in the benefit of the people.

I believe a live aboard situation grants one a more flexible (fault tolerant)
lifestyle, especially with a small boat. With a good flow of income, I could enjoy the amenities of a marina if that's something I want to do. Without, I could anchor out to conserve. On land, you don't get the same flexibility. Some of you might say "you could move into a cheaper apartment". We both know that's a PITA. Ease is part of flexibility. If something doesn't stretch easily, is by definition, not flexible.

I am now looking into freelancing. Not only is my career compatible with it, I believe freelancing is perfect for cruising. I plan on cruising the east coast. So far I've included states near friends, my hometown probably for a small amount of time. Philly (hometown) is a depressing city to live, however, being close to "downtown" will provide a better experience. I want to check out New York, but no farther north. I think I'll probably end up in Florida mainly.

My target boat is a Catalina 27 for a few reasons.
  • It's a popular boat.
  • I like the layout.
  • I can get it for cheap.
  • Because it's cheap, I can execute my goal as soon as possible.

Recently I've become somewhat of a minimalist enforced by my recent couch surfing. In the chaos of the world, I have been striving for a long time to simplify everything around me, and everything within. I think consumerism is a poison, but I'm not completely free of its grasp. Though I've modified how I consume. I believe quality of life can be attained through some things, but you have to be selective. Buy what you value, and only the best of what you value. Quality over quantity seems to make a lot of sense in a small space. This has led me to really think about the things (and people) I enjoy in life, and to leave behind the garbage. I hope living aboard helps me to achieve this ideal lifestyle through my goal of simplicity.
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:35   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Hello From Behind The Monocle

It was indeed a belated introduction, so I will wish you a belated welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a plan so I hope that it comes to fruition for you.

Coops.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:22   #3
o_q

thank you coops.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:59   #4

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

"I can execute my goal as soon as possible"

Act now o q, you have a good attitude,you will succeed. The best of luck to you.

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:10   #5
o_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
"I can execute my goal as soon as possible"

Act now o q, you have a good attitude,you will succeed. The best of luck to you.

S/V Water Wings
thanks

what can I do now?
Old 06-08-2013, 12:38   #6

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

Start looking at Catalinas (and other boats), when one whispers ever so quietly to you "Buy me", do it!

As to working, there are quite a few software types who live and work aboard. At the top of the food chain are ones like Jeffrey and Karen Siegel who turned their on-water interests into a great company-Active Captain, down to a friend of mine who writes phone-switching software who is pretty much constantly on the move with his wife and 2 kids.
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:18   #7
o_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCall View Post
As to working, there are quite a few software types who live and work aboard. At the top of the food chain are ones like Jeffrey and Karen Siegel who turned their on-water interests into a great company-Active Captain, down to a friend of mine who writes phone-switching software who is pretty much constantly on the move with his wife and 2 kids.
I'd really like to know anyone doing remote software development here
Old 10-08-2013, 06:31   #8

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya O_Q! Before planning your Garden of Eden, make sure that you have good medical and dental insurance coverage; costing about $500 USD/month. ShaktiGurl is an IT person, living with her husband on a boat in FL; drop her a PM for advice. Aside of the quick reality check, good luck to your endeavors!

Mauritz
Old 23-09-2013, 17:51   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Old 23-09-2013, 18:04   #10

Boat: Oyster 53

Don't forget, unlike a house a boat can actually transport you to another world. Exploring this great planet by sea is a wonderful, mind-broadening experience that some (such as myself) find much more interesting than sitting anchored to one spot.

Cheers.

Dhillen
Old 23-09-2013, 19:14   #11

It sounds like you have a good plan! Of course I may be biased because parts of your post sound like they could have been written by me. Best of luck with your journey
Synesthesia is offline   Reply With Quote