Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2007, 22:42   #1

Boat: None, sail CFJs.
Hello from Calgary

Hey everybody, I'm Eric. I'm 14 and live in Calgary, possibly the worst place to sail. I'll be here talking almost exclusively about dinghies because that is what I sail. To be more specific, I've sailed 420s, CJs, and this summer CFJs. I just passed Bronze Sail V this Thursday so I know a good bit about sailing and stuff.
Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 23:12   #2

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 - Mareva
Hi Mammoth!

I'm originally from Calgary myself. Welcome aboard! I'm the other way
'round - I've sailed cats and 40 foot monos, but no dinghies! I'm hoping to do a dinghy course this fall when the weather cools down a bit here. (45 degrees is just too hot to sit out on a boat!) It looks like fun!

Speaking of which, my husband and I will be back in Calgary at the end of August (a quick hello to the fam, natch) and we might have a day free. Is it the Glenmore Reservoir you sail on? Do you know if they have boats for hourly rental? If we get decent weather, we might try to escape the family for a little R&R.

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy the board. I'm sure I know WAY less about sailing than you, but everyone here has been really friendly and helpful to me.

Cheers from a fellow Canuck,
Julie
Mareva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 23:18   #3

Boat: None, sail CFJs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mareva
Is it the Glenmore Reservoir you sail on? Do you know if they have boats for hourly rental? If we get decent weather, we might try to escape the family for a little R&R.
Yes I sail on Glenmore, and they do have Club Juniors and a Catalina for rent. The prices are kind of steep, I think the CJs are somewhere between $25-75 an hour (Don't remember) and they should have a maximum fee aka a full day rental. The Catalina is $100 per hour and you need to rent for a minimum of 4 hours. The Glenmore Sailing Club has way better rates, if you're a member you pay $30 for either morning afternoon or evening for a Byte. As far as weather goes, it's usually a hit or miss. Some days it will be completely flat, other days it will go up to 45km/h. Best of luck out there.
Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:35   #4

Send a message via MSN to Age gap 2
Welcome aboard :-) I am also from Calgary I agree not the best place to sail!
Age gap 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 14:25   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Dinghy sailing is great where the water is a bit warmer. Started out in dinghies and still sail Sunfish and Flying Juniors occasionally.
kind regards,