Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2018, 21:09   #1

Hello from Canada

Hello there :
I am within a few years of retirement and I am seriously looking for a change. I have spent the last 32 years in the military working on aircraft. Now that retirement is staring at me in a couple of years, I have been looking for a way to retire without sitting on a porch wondering if the grass needs mowing again.

After stumbling across a youtube video of all things about cruising it has really started me thinking. In the military I have been trained as a aircraft electrician, an aircraft engine tech and a aircraft structures tech. The last I have been doing for the last 17 years. As a acs tech I do metal work (mostly in aluminum ) riveting, bending and welding. As well as composite repair (fiberglass and Carbon fiber) as well a fabric repair (ie sewing)with a dose of machining thrown in there as well. From the research I have done so far I think I have a good shot at knowing how to repair a sailboat.

So this is another part of my research into whether or not I want to go down this path trying not to stare at the grass.
I am starting a 2 year plan of research and learning about sailboats and cruising in general not to mention trying to figure out how to sail something other then my kayak. I look forward to the answers to the about 10000 questions that are running through my head Please have patience.
acstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 02:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hello from Canada

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, acstech.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 09:12   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Welcome. I see from your profile that you are in cold Lake. It's been a while since I've been there.(I'm west of Edmonton)
It's a great sailing lake and you shouldn't have any trouble getting on opb(other people's boats) Walk the marina and see if anyone needs crew, or just company on a sail.
Sailing is a fun adventure, but isn't for everyone. Get out for a few sails and see if its for you. Then the planning and research can really begin:-)
Good luck and have fun
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 18:11   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Hi Canada!

Greetings from Canary Islands.

If you can sail a kayak, you are half way there already. The basics are the same for all boats, just any bigger craft is more complex due to more systems onboard

Welcome!
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 18:57   #5

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Welcome.. I hope you find what you are looking for.

We are from Edmonton, but left for cruising 3 years ago. I actually spent 2 months of last hurricane season working in Bonnyville, Cold Lake and surrounding area.

Your skills will definately come in handy for cruising. Frankly, the repairing of the boat is as important as knowing how to sail.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 19:22   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard acstech. Sounds like you have some very valuable skills when it comes time to work on your own boat, or others! I could have used your help last year with a new mast support I built. My advice, get a FUN fast little boat to learn and play on. Many of us started on boats like Lasers which are fast, fun and simple. Maybe then move up to a boat with a jib or a fast catamaran for more thrills. Once you get hooked on that there'll be no stopping you.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:13   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

With your technical background, you will likely enjoy some of the many threads related to boat engineering and materials. Dig into the CF thread archives and you could spend hours reading what makes boats work or break.

I hope you enjoy your time on the forum, and later on the water.

Bon Voyage!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada