Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2015, 12:27   #1

Hello from Charleston, SC

Hello all!
My name is Ty. I'm 24 years old, and live in the Charleston, SC area. I've been intrigued with the liveaboard lifestyle for a couple of years now. It seems like an awesome way to live! I recently met a coworker who is working on fixing up a Catalina 27' to live on for the Summer. He is giving me some good advice as to where to look for a boat. I'm hoping to check out a local marina this week, as he said they have a lot of cheap boats there. I'm aware that cheap boats usually mean that you're going to have to put a lot of time and effort into fixing it up, but I am prepared to do that. Anyway, I look forward to reading a ton of threads here, and learning the ropes!
Trappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 13:15   #2

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51
Re: Hello from Charleston, SC

I have no idea on this boat, 'owner wants out', but may want to just make a really cheap offer if you are interested. It 'might' have a gas engine though, which usually isn't good.

1978 Pearson 31 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 13:25   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

No might to it, it's an Atomic 4, but use that of course in determining value of the boat.
I sort of like gas motors, although I don't want one on a cruising boat, but a day sailor, sure, just respect it, like I do propane

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 13:25   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

If you want a cheap boat in the Charleston, SC area, drive across the I 526 bridge over the Ashley River and look towards Charleston. I'm sure any of the anchored boats (past the marina) could be had for a song and the ones stuck in the marsh for even less.
Old 01-03-2015, 13:25   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard, Ty,

You wouldn't be the first to start fixing up older boats and turning them over. It is, however, a very great deal of work (see "homeless"'s thread, "Breaking all the Rules"), and often takes seed money as well.

Good luck with it all,

Ann
Old 01-03-2015, 13:34   #6

I like that Pearson, but it's way out of my price range!

Rwidman, I'm also in North Charleston! Thanks for the input! I"m going to take a look next time I go over the bridge! My coworker told me about a marina off of Dorchester Rd, called Johnny's. I'm probably going to check the boats there out this week.

Thank you, Ann! I'm not going to be "flipping" the boat, as I'm actually looking to live on the boat. Maybe, if I get good enough at it, I'll start buying, fixing, and selling boats for a little extra $$ on the side. I'd like to go part-time at my job after getting the boat and fixing it up, and do something that I like for extra income. But that'll be down the road a bit...

Thanks again for all of the kind words and encouragement, it's really appreciated!
Old 01-03-2015, 13:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappy View Post
Rwidman, I'm also in North Charleston! Thanks for the input! I"m going to take a look next time I go over the bridge! My coworker told me about a marina off of Dorchester Rd, called Johnny's. I'm probably going to check the boats there out this week.
If you're talking about a used car and boat dealership named land and sea classics or something like that, my advice to you based on some friends and acquaintances experience is to stay as far away from there as possible.
Old 01-03-2015, 13:54   #8

He said it was called Johnny's Marina or something along those lines. Right on the river behind a car wash on Dorchester...
Old 01-03-2015, 14:05   #9

Quote:
I like that Pearson, but it's way out of my price range!
You don't know that until you make an offer for whatever your price range is. The owner is spending money on having it in a slip, it is costing them every month. Call the marina and see if the owner is around or not. Meet them if you can. Tell them your dream. Tell them you'd love to take their baby, but you just can't afford it. You never know.

Grab this book on Kindle. He explains a bit of the negotiating process on how to low ball and not piss people off. You are going to need some of these techniques if you want a good boat at a good price.

Fatty Goodlander, S/V Wild Card - Buy, Outfit, and Sail

Or, at least go see her, it is only what 90 minutes away? Of course, there are probably good cheap boats in Charleston to. Not like you are in Ohio like me, snowblower out AGAIN this morning....

- Ray
~ Following Cs ~
Old 01-03-2015, 14:15   #10

Huh, you do have a point. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take! I'm gonna look into that book, as I'm wanting to download more sailing books off Amazon. Thank you for the inspiration!
Old 01-03-2015, 14:41   #11

There's also alot of inspiration on youtube.

Wicked Salty:

Sailing Vagabonde. their boat is not cheap, but she is super cute and sings ....

- Ray
Old 01-03-2015, 15:36   #12

Quote:
He said it was called Johnny's Marina or something along those lines. Right on the river behind a car wash on Dorchester...
I have never heard of a Johnny's Marina in this area and a web search turns up nothing. Ask him for an address or to take you there.
Old 01-03-2015, 15:48   #13

Appears that it's actually called "Johnny's Marine". It's at 2511 Oscar Johnson Dr, North Charleston, SC 29405. Someone on Yelp said the guy was a fraud, so that kinda lowers my hopes right there...

FollowingCs, you have a point! That girl is cute!!!
Old 01-03-2015, 15:54   #14

Boat: 1983 Aloha 34

We didn't make an offer on our boat the first time we looked at her, but with encouragement from the PO we gave him our best offer. He counter-offered but like I said, we couldn't go any higher so thanked him for his time. One month later we got a call saying they would accept our initial offer! It was on of the best days of my life. So I would totally make an offer on that boat! Worst he can say is no.
Old 01-03-2015, 16:08   #15

Quote:
Appears that it's actually called "Johnny's Marine". It's at 2511 Oscar Johnson Dr, North Charleston, SC 29405. Someone on Yelp said the guy was a fraud, so that kinda lowers my hopes right there...

FollowingCs, you have a point! That girl is cute!!!
That's off Dorchester Rd just east of the intersection with I 526. Past the motel next to the Huddle House.

I don't know anything about the place but remember, if you're trying to stay low budget, dealers and shops have to make a profit so you'll pay more for the same boat from a dealer or shop than from a private seller. You may or may not get a warranty with a dealer or shop and it may or may not be worth anything.