Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2008, 20:40   #1

Hello from eastern Long Island

Hello. New to the forum but not to sailing. Started sailing at 10 years old, spent my summers in sailing school and racing as a crewmember on a Ranger 32. After retiring from the US Navy I bought my first boat, a 1972 Pearson, 30 hull #105, named Seasprite. While the hull and rig are in pretty good shape, the old Atomic 4 was seized up, the electrical system left a lot to be desired, and the interior was basically trashed. I've had the boat for about 18 months now and have repowered her with a Universal M-25 diesel, added CDI roller furling, two new Lewmar winches, new through hull fittings, and all new cushions below. Currently installing a holding tank and new head. Still a lot of work to do, but mostly electrical and cosmetic. This is my "training" boat. I intend to keep her for a few years and then upgrade to something a bit larger -- 33 to 37ft. Thirty feet and minimal amenities are ok for a few days cruise, but anything longer and it would be nice to at least have a hot shower and a gimbaled stove.

I live on Shelter Island, NY, between the forks of eastern Long Island. This is sailors paradise. Anyone out in this area?

Regards,
Pete C.
PeteP30 owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 22:02   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Pete,
Glad to be the first to welcome you to the site. The project sounds fun and I hope it all gets completed without too many issues and you get out there cruising soon.
Good luck
John
Old 30-06-2008, 23:28   #3

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Hi Pete and welcome to this great forum. I keep my boat, a 1973 Morgan 36 T (with an Atomic Four gasoline engine) in Port Jefferson Harbor now. I am very familiar with Shelter Island, My Father kept his sailboat (Irwin 28) in Aquebouge so I sailed between Flanders Bay and Block Island as kid in the early 70's
Quote:
between the forks of eastern Long Island. This is sailors paradise.
You got that right.

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:15   #4

Welcome aboard, Pete. I've got a place in North Haven, although I keep the boat in Norwalk, CT and occasionally take her to Gardener's Bay and points east. Good to see a kindred spirit here--I served on an FFG.

Brett
LtBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 13:21   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Alohn Pete,
Welcome aboard! Sounds like a great project. Wish mine was in the water and sailable.
My Navy experience was mostly on Cruisers and Destroyers. I regret not having the opportunity to get to Australia and New Zealand but my sailing and Navy experience has gotten me most everywhere else.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Long Island