Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2011, 12:57   #1

Hello From Eastern Washington USA

Hello,
I'm a new member with NO sailing experience. Why have I joined you ask? To find a community from which to learn sailing. I'm close to retirement and would like to find folks from which I can learn to sail in vacation environments. I also would like to meet folks from other parts of the world to learn more about their sailing communities and possibly pick a sailing environment to which I can retire. I have one adult son, a pilot in the United States Air Force. We both SCUBA dive. love to fish and love the ocean. Sailing is a natural interest if one loves the water.
I would love hear from anyone with knowledge on good places to take sailing vacations while learning to crew on sailing boats.

Old 18-03-2011, 13:21   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Hello From Eastern Washington USA

Hello, and welcome aboard.

Never been to Washington - but my guess is there's some water nearby... Head to it, and you'll prob find a yacht club with a bar - my advice to you would be to start there! Great places to learn how.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 08:40   #3

Thanks for the help. SE WA is a desert but I live near the juncture of the Columbia and Snake Rivers. We have a sailing school but I wanted to take the first 3 ASA creditation lessons with my son, who lives in Florida. Since I posted this I found from this website, several schools in Penesecola and Panama City. So I'm going to pursue these for when I go to Florida. Then once we have 101,103 and 104, we can see about building up some experience and crewing for someone. Hope this works! And thanks again for the reply.
Old 20-03-2011, 08:56   #4
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It sounds like you've got it well sussed... keep us up to date
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 11:37   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here and I hope you enjoy the lessons. Lessons will tell you whether or not you really like to sail. Visited Pendleton and Walla Walla many years ago.
kind regards,
Old 24-03-2011, 19:09   #6

Thanks for the greeting! Interesting that you know this part of Washington...it's off the beaten track.
I already know I love to sail. Many years ago, I got to crew several time on a 27' sailboat on the San Francisco Bay out of Sausalito. It was exciting and fun. I got back to shore soaked and exhausted but I would have gone sailing every weekend if I could have. If I'm not taking lessons by next month, I will be by the end of the summer.
Old 24-03-2011, 20:39   #7

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin

There are a number of options here in Puget Sound. Sailors are always looking for crewmembers, I think. [I mostly sail single handed, and at the moment in small open boats]. Check for crew openings in Bellingham, Everett, Seattle, Port Townsend. Good luck. Welcome aboard. Retirement is awesome.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 20:48   #8
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

depending on where you are it might be worth checking Coeur d'Alene for sailing opportunities!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 21:07   #9

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Janet H one of our friends and one of the monerators connected me with this thread.

Ocassionally I need an extra hand sailing and docking our 34 ft catamaran when my wife is out of town teaching horse back riding clinics. Were moored in Kennewick WA at Clover island on C dock. I can show you some about sailing if you can put up with my artheris perscription meds
Old 24-03-2011, 21:49   #10

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

30+ years ago I was teaching myself to sail in Central Washington (Pomona), it can be done, and there are some decent bodies of water to do it. The Tri Cites area was one of the areas I tried, but I found the currents to make it usually a one way trip. O'Sullivan Reservoir, Moses Lake, Banks Lake, Lake Roosevelt, Rimrock Reservoir, Riffe Lake are all pleasant destinations. If you get a boat that you don't want to tow but want to use and learn, both Roosevelt and Rimrock have marinas for moorage. It can be done...I'm living proof. You might also take a little drive to Shilshole Marina in Ballard and see what experiences they have to offer there(many). If you're single, maybe check out Seattle Singles Yacht Club, I know my wife loved her experiences there before we met...Then you could go to Florida a little better prepared. fair winds
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Washington