Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 03:34   #16

Boat: 1983 Catalina 22
Re: hello from Hernando Beach Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

Is there a West Marine or other boating store up that way? Maybe they could help connect sailors.
Hernando Beach has at least 8 marinas and a yacht club. There are lots of sail boat projects underway and many sail boats docked in the canals of our little seaside village. You see a few out on the water, mainly on weekends. There are enough sailers here that we should be able to find and make friends with some - it's just a matter of time. I'm finding that there are some sellers out there that are willing to do lessons if you purchase their boat.

Questions - I'm considering 2 Catalina 22's, one has a fixed wing keel that is 2.5 ft deep and one has a swing keel that is only 1.7 ft deep when up. Those draft figures are what I'm coming up with by referencing a book and some web sites, anyone reading this, let me know if they're incorrect. I'd like to keep the boat on my lift by removing the support beams and replacing them with broad straps. I'm thinking the 2 straps will straddle the boat forward and aft of the keel in either case, although since the fixed part of the swing keel extends further aft, there will be more clearance horizontally with the fixed keel boat. However, there will be more clearance vertically with the swing keel boat (when it is up). Do I understand this correctly? Any problem with what I'm wanting to do? Which boat sails better? Is the fixed keel boat even trailerable? It does not come with a trailer, while the other boat does. I don't know the condition of the swing keel yet, but I'll be looking at it soon. If it turns out there is a problem with the pivot of the swing keel, how difficult/expensive is that to repair (typically)?

I'd sure appreciate any advice I can get.
Divensail88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:39   #17

Boat: 1983 Catalina 22

Oh, and another question - of the 2 boats mentioned, which one would be better for landing on a beach? Or anchoring just off a beach? I would think the swing keel boat (with the keel up of course), just because of the shallower draft, however the seller of the fixed wing keel boat suggested that boat would be better, because he says the wing keel would dig into the sand.
Divensail88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:14   #18
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divensail88 View Post
Oh, and another question - of the 2 boats mentioned, which one would be better for landing on a beach? Or anchoring just off a beach? I would think the swing keel boat (with the keel up of course), just because of the shallower draft, however the seller of the fixed wing keel boat suggested that boat would be better, because he says the wing keel would dig into the sand.

Yeah. That's called "being aground." It's really potentially bad for the boat if the tide is going out or the water gets rougher - or both! It's harder to get a winged keel off a grounding.

Buy it if this is the boat you want, but don't let this guy teach you to sail.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida