Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 19:20   #1

Hello from Kalamazoo

Hi Everybody,

My name is Kyle and I am from Kalamazoo, MI and work as an engineer (so bear with me I can be slow on the uptake some times). I grew up around boats of all sizes in the Algonac area of Michigan. I have helped restore a couple of wood boats and will own my own wood cruiser some day but its fiberglass for now.

My wife and I bought our first boat together a few months before we got married and have upgraded a few times and this year my 2 year old became obsessed with being on the boat. We have to fight him to take his PFD off when it's time to go home. We have always owned small trailer boats but think it is time to step up to a cruiser.

We have saved some money and are looking for around a 30' boat in the 15 to 20k price range. Today we looked at a Sea Ray Sundancer 300 that was in our price range and we are going to look at a few more this weekend. What would other good models and brands be to look at in this price range? Should I start another thread about what boats to look for?

Regards and Happy Cruising
Kyle
trbowgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 19:28   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I don't know anything about Sea Ray boats, but I know about Michigan. I was born in Michigan. Welcome to the forum.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 21:43   #3

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mate. Sorry, but can't help with the Sea Ray either. Welcome aboard from another former Michigander. All the best with the search. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:11   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kyle & family.

Are you certain that it’s actualy legal to purchase a Sea Ray, in Algonac; the birthplace of Chris Crafts Boats and the former home of Gar Wood.
Oh, I see you've moved away. Carry on.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:58   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome to Cruisers Forum Kyle.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:00   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
The old Cris Craft company went bankrupt and the new one has no connections at all other than the name. They no longer build in Algonac. You want Algonac made, shop Mayea Boat Works!

Besides SeaRay, you might consider Regal or Chaparral boats. Good quality for less money. Also look at the layouts. All searay sundancers have a certain layout, Regal & Chap have some different styles.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:22   #7
Scurvy Dog

Kyle - it might be worthwhile to talk to a few boatyard owners in South Haven:

J&B Landing: 637-5785
1st Choice: 637-7026
All Seasons: 637-3655

Most storage is indoors or off site now, its not easy to find the boats for sale without some help.

My dock neighbor has a Sundancer (I think) for sale, not sure of the price, Boat Yard Basin slip 2. Its the marina on Bailey St across the street from the Kal-Haven bike trail parking, walk all the way to the river and you will be looking at it.
Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 21:13   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I had my first Sea Ray ride on the Mississippi a couple of weeks ago. Since I'm primarily a sailboater doing 40 mph on the water is a bit different. I think Sea Ray is pretty good quality.
kind regards,
Old 06-09-2010, 05:35   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
The old Cris Craft company went bankrupt and the new one has no connections at all other than the name. They no longer build in Algonac. You want Algonac made, shop Mayea Boat Works ...
Indeed, Mays Craft are things of beauty
Mayea - Mays Craft

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 13:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
Kyle - it might be worthwhile to talk to a few boatyard owners in South Haven:

J&B Landing: 637-5785
1st Choice: 637-7026
All Seasons: 637-3655

Most storage is indoors or off site now, its not easy to find the boats for sale without some help.

My dock neighbor has a Sundancer (I think) for sale, not sure of the price, Boat Yard Basin slip 2. Its the marina on Bailey St across the street from the Kal-Haven bike trail parking, walk all the way to the river and you will be looking at it.
Thanks for the tips, I will take a look at your neighbors boat if I can get out there soon.

When do you pull out for the season? Do you enjoy Boat Yard Basin?

We looked at a boat in Woodland Harbor the other day and thought it was a nice place.
trbowgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 14:05   #11
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Hi Kyle, I live in Kzoo also. Sea Rays are one of the best for Lake Michigan. 30' is a great length as it opens up large areas. The old Sundancers where nice because they had a berth under the helm. The number one thing to consider IMO is dead rise. Not enough and your popping off waves non-stop. You really need a deep V.

I have a 26' Four Winns Horizon which has been excellent. We use it out of Ludington mostly. We can run from Ludington to Leland and back in a day if the lake is calm. Have you used boat trader?
Boats for Sale - Buy Boats, Sell Boats, Boating Resources, Boat Dealers, Parts and Accessories.