Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2007, 18:47   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 54
Hello from Massachusetts

Hi All,

Just registered today.
Here is my quick nautical biography.
Born in Istanbul 1954
First experiences in the water were in Black Sea with my canoe while I was 5-6 yrs old.
Later, with help from our neighbour, a retired Navy Captain, we designed and built a rig for my rowing boat which I sailed in Sea of Marmara.
Joined Naval High school in 1968 and sailed Optimists, Pirats and Finns and Kiks (Clinker built rugged Turkish Navy launches with an interesting gaff rigged Ketch configuration)
Graduated to Naval Academy where I sailed Starboats as well as various other sail and power boats.
Graduated in 1974 and sailed various boats like Minelayers, Submarines, LST's, and Destroyers.
A mojor change in my sailing life took place and I found myself living in San Diego and sailing the Sandiego harbor in my 21 ft trailerable sloop. 1980's
Progressed to an Ericson 29 and started participating in races and making short cruises to Oceanside and Catalina Island etc.
Moved to Texas in 90's and continued sailing and racing the Ericson in Lake Ray Hubbard, near Dallas. (40knt+ winds were neat in a small lake)
Moved the boat back to San Diego and pursued my ambitions of making a million dollars in a start-up company. lived aboard the Ericson for about a year.
No luck, the start-up did not survive. Went back to Texas with my tail between my legs and flew to San Diego once in a while to sail.
Moved to Massachusetts in 2001 prior to 9/11 disaster.
Parted with the Ericson in 2004 and currently I am boatless.
The plan is to retire around 2011 or so and build a 65ft steel ketch to live aboard and circumnavigate.

So there, I am not sure if it is usual for new comers to provide this much information but it is done. Hope I did not bore you too much. I promise not to blabber on in my future posts.

I have the drawings for my Steel Ketch and constantly planning and dreaming about how I am going to build it. In the mean time I hope to receive a lot of good advice and tips from you all about cruising in general.

Thanks for listening.
Ahmet Erkan
Ahmet Erkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2007, 21:48   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Ahmet,
Welcome aboard!! San Diego is wonderful sailing isn't it? I used to sail out of the Naval Sailing Club at Coronado. You have many experiences and lots of sailing time. I hope you'll share comments with us.
You must have a very large family to want a 65 foot steel ketch. So much maintenance. I always advise that 32-36 LOD is plenty of boat but that's just my opinion.
Good luck and Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Massachusetts