Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2009, 09:23   #1

Boat: 1999 IP40, Charbonneau
Hello from New Bern, NC

My wife Judy and I officially heard yesterday that we are the new owners of Charbonneau. For ten years this beautiful 40' Island Packet was home to Blaine and Janet Parks and their two Golden Retrievers. Both Blaine and Janet wrote scores of articles recounting the ups and downs of their live aboard life while cruising. These wonderful stories provide a full and exciting history of this boat that is about to be ours during Charbonneau's next sailing journey. I only pray that Judy and I can sail her and care for her as well as Blaine and Janet did since 1999.

Charbonneau will have a new berth at Northwest Creek Marina, New Bern, NC. Our plans include ASA Certifications first and then practice, practice, practice on the Neuse River and Pamlico sound for the next year or so. (Although Blaine shared Charbonneau's only knock-down was on the Neuse)

This is an entirely new world for us as we begin retirement and we're excited about sharing those years on Charbonneau. So, if you should catch sight of Charbonneau in irons or making a rough tack, just remember she's now teaching two old dogs to sail

Bill and Judy Chappell
bchaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 09:26   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Congratulations guys,
Hope you grow to love her more each day that passes.
Enjoy the learning - grab hold of each new experience - and roll in it so you'll never forget the fun you'll have.
And sail safe.
JOHN
Old 27-11-2009, 04:26   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Welcome, Bill and Judy, and congratulations on your boat purchase. Island Packets are fine cruising boats that will take you anywhere. I remember anchoring our IP 380 just downwind of Charbonneau in Oxford, Maryland a few years ago. I had heard the Parks were giving up the cruising life. It's good to know that Charbonneau will still be cruising.
Old 29-11-2009, 12:33   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!
Beautiful boat and congratulations.
The longer I sail and look out at other boats doing whatever they are doing I realize that some of their maneuvers are testing rigging, drills for man-overboard, heaving to for a short break or luffing for a sail change.
When I was younger and less experienced I used to think that they were overtrimmed, undertrimmed, missing tacks or being inattentive.
regards,
Old 29-11-2009, 12:45   #5

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
LOL... and very nice first post!...you will do fine..get the knock down out of the way right off the bat and then its all down hill from there..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 12:47   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Welcome! I have emailed Blaine once when I found his blog a year or so ago - I work for one of his previous employers, and actually sat near some of his ex-co-workers.

We keep our boat at NWC Marina - say hi if you see Gretchen or I at slip D-9, and we will do the same.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:38   #7

Boat: 1986 35' Senator Sundeck - Skinny Dippin'
Hi Bill and Judy! Welcome to your new addiction! ...I mean lifestyle! When will you arrive in New Bern? We are also at NWC in F1. Actually we're hauled out right now at Sailcraft in Oriental, but I look forward to meeting more new neighbors when we get back in a week or so!!

Enjoy your new adventure!
Bess
BessLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:00   #8

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
LOL... and very nice first post!...you will do fine..get the knock down out of the way right off the bat and then its all down hill from there..
Welcome. I still have very fond memories of our IP 38. We were sailing it home from Pt. Richmond on the San Francisco Bay with all sails up and just learning the boat. We forgot we were in the lee of Angel Island the entire time and sailed into the wind with all sails up into 30+ knots steady wind. She leaned a lot but was forgiving to a couple of newbies. I hope your new boat treats you as kindly.

It was the worst we had in our 2 years of cruising. Of course we put a reef in the main afterward that we didn't take out for about a year.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 18:22   #9

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'
Hey you guys. You'll have to come "Skinny Dippin" in slip F1 with Bess and me. Likely you'll be our neighbors in the next slip. That will put out 35' Trawler smack between two Island Packets. Welcome to New Bern. Looking forward to meet y'all!
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:26   #10

Boat: islandpacket
As an IP owner also, Dont forget to register it with Island Packet yachts as they can get you any manuals that are missing or need replacing at IP Home Port - The Official Website For Island Packet Yacht Owners Since 1998 - Home . They have a great web site for most any IP info and also check out Welcome to the Island Packet Yacht Owners' Association for lots of info and help from other owners. I am heading down the ditch now and stuck in Virgina with bad weather but will wave as I go by. Best of luck and Welcome