Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 19:01   #1

Hello from NW Florida :)

Hi everyone! I'm 43, Female living on the NW coast of Florida (Destin area). I'm a new boater... well I've done a lot of boating in my life but have never owned my own.... until now that is. I just bought an older boat with a relatively new engine and I'm picking it up tomorrow.

It's a 28' Carver cabin cruiser.... I don't know a thing about sailing so I stuck to a power boat. I may have been a bit over ambitious getting a 28' for my first boat... but I'm a pretty capable gal so I think I can handle it. Mostly I'm worried about being able to trailer and untrailer it with just me and my sister.

Anyhow..... I'm sure I'm going to have lots and lots of questions and I'm hoping you all will take pity on me and toss me some advice from time to time.

Lord help me.... I can't believe I actually bought a boat.... I have a feeling I'm going to miss my money
Gulf Coast Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 19:26   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I'm sure I'm going to have lots and lots of questions and I'm hoping you all will take pity on me and toss me some advice from time to time.
Of course we will. It's more about thinking before doing than anything else. You can start by figuring out where everything is and what it is. Sounds simple enough but you can start some place. Some basic operations would help. Perhaps a boat safety course from the USCG auxiliary would be a good place to start. They like to help, they don't charge much and it could get you off to a good start.

You sure what to have fun and not make serious mistakes that might lead to an early demise. Boating is after all supposed to be fun. If it just you and your sister then you both should go. Everything is simple once you understand.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
You can start by figuring out where everything is and what it is.
Thanks Paul,

I'm picking up my boat today and I have 7 hours scheduled with the seller (he's a pretty good guy) to go over everything... He's going to show us how to put the boat in, take it out, back up the trailer (I already know how to back up a trailer... but only have experience with 19 feet and the boat on this trailer is 35 ft. so he's going to make sure I know what I'm doing). Then we are going out on the water (will be my 2nd time out on this boat) and going to go everything from A-Z. Not only is he going to go over everything on the boat, we are going to go over the local waterway where I plan on using the boat to make sure I understand where all the sandbars are, how to use the GPS etc. Then he's going to go over everything about after care...flushing the engine, emptying the toilet, general cleaning, care and maintenance.

I also had a mechanic go over the boat before I made the offer... there were a couple of things the seller had to fix and he did with no problems.

So... I feel I've done as much homework as I can ...... now it's all about just getting out there and doing it. I'm excited and nervous all at the same time.

Thanks again for the welcome.....
Gulf Coast Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:55   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Gulf Coast Girl,
You will miss your money but you'll love the boat more
Have fun on your adventure!

Erika
s/v Ocean Girl
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:57   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
Welcome GC Girl. Have fun with that boat. I agree with O Girl about money.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 20:26   #6

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
You need to find a way to stick a large pole some place on top and add a few lead slabs to the bottom.... then add a few pieces of sail cloth here and there with a bit of rope. That way you will spend less $$$ on fuel and get more fun per mile!!!!

Hi Destin girl... Panama City guy here but I'm not in PC now. Been here in the West Indies sailing around for a couple of months.... but....alass.... it is coming to an end. With Hurricane season on us the Insurance people say OUT of the Water and I'm here on Tortola getting her ready to pull next week, then I'll be heading back to Panama City for the summer and fall.

I know you will enjoy your boat but like most things it will either grow old or it will lead to bigger and better things. Heres hoping for the bigger and better... with SAILS!!!

LOL Welcome to the forum

ken
Old 07-06-2009, 02:09   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Girl View Post
I'm picking up my boat today and I have 7 hours scheduled with the seller (he's a pretty good guy) to go over everything...
... I feel I've done as much homework as I can ...... now it's all about just getting out there and doing it. I'm excited and nervous all at the same time.
Indeed - it does sound as though your PO is a pretty good guy, and that you've done your due dilligence & homework.
Good luck, and enjoy!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 13:49   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard,
Let us know how its going with your "new" boat.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida