Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2022, 03:39   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 30.1
Hello from NYC

Almost 15 years ago, I embarked on a plan to turn my dear spouse into a boat lover. We moved to Marina del Rey, where I believed the boating culture would draw her in. It didn’t.

You see, having a sailboat has been a dream since childhood. I learned to sail at summer camp on Lake Pemigewassett in New Hampshire. While the other kids were hiking, fishing or playing sports, I spent every minute on the water (sometimes in the water) at the helm of the camp’s Sunfish and Puffins.

Coming from a non-sailing family, I’d return home each summer begging my dad for a boat. I tried to turn my dad into a sailor. Instead, I ended up fishing him out of the Chesapeake after he let go of the spinnaker a bit early and turtled my friend’s Lightning. That didn’t work either.

After a lifetime of failing to convert necessary persons to sailing, my wife finally capitulated. Just as we were leaving Marina del Rey to move back to New York City, her best friend bought a motor yacht. I guess all of her friend’s instagram photos out on the water inspired her, because she finally decided having a boat might be an interesting idea.

Of course, the green light comes after we’ve already moved to New York City and are on our way, in the next few years, to our home in Lisbon, Portugal for retirement.

I’m a planner, so I’m embracing the complexity of my situation. I’ve laid out a goal of owning a 35-40ft family cruiser based in Lisbon. Between now and the time we fully relocate, I’m trying to log as many hours as I can on the water and to get some formal certifications. I’m hoping this forum will help guide me along the way, from getting the right qualifications for Portugal to owning and operating my boat-to-be.
defmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 22:12   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Hello from NYC

Welcome to the forum defmonk. May all your dreams be realized.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 22:56   #3

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner

Welcome aboard, and thanks for sharing your story!
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:27   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

Welcome to the Cruisers Forum! Hope you find happiness following your dreams.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2022, 16:26   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 11:05   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 30.1

Quote:
I’m a planner, so I’m embracing the complexity of my situation. I’ve laid out a goal of owning a 35-40ft family cruiser based in Lisbon. Between now and the time we fully relocate, I’m trying to log as many hours as I can on the water and to get some formal certifications. I’m hoping this forum will help guide me along the way, from getting the right qualifications for Portugal to owning and operating my boat-to-be.
Well, I'm happy to report that, thanks to the support of this forum and its members, I've steadily racked up the hours, finished my ASA 103 and 104, got my IPC, bought a fractional interest in a cruiser through SailTime, am about to skipper my first bareboat charter in the BVI and will finish my RYA Day Skipper over the summer in Lisbon. Thank you all for the support and encouragement!!!
defmonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyc