Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2009, 15:29   #1

Boat: Gulfstar Sailmaster 47 - Ohana
Hello from San Diego

Hello everyone. My name is Nicole and my husband and I just bought a Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster. We will be in San Diego all summer getting the boat and ourselves ready for cruising this fall. We're not sure if we'll make the Ha-Ha or not, although we would hope to, as our honeymoon was spent aboard Latitude 38's Profligate on the 2002 Ha-Ha and we would love to relive the experience on our own boat. Also, my husband used to take pictures of all the Ha-Ha boats from a helicopter--we have met many people over the years who still have and love the pictures he took. We now have two children ages 6 and 4 who will of course be joining on us this adventure. I hope to use this forum to garner knowledge of everything from children on board (especially specific homeschooling curriculum suggestions) to cooking on board and everything in between. I'm looking forward to any and all advice and ideas. Thanks.
Goin'Cruising33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 15:52   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Great to meet you Goin"Cruising33,
There is a lot of good info here. My best friend skippered a big GS47 across the Gulf of Mexico (she was 5'5 and 110lb soaking wet) She loved the boat and the way it handleds in a storm. Great interior!
Cheers,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 18:59   #3

Boat: CT54
Hi Nicole and welcome.....it sounds like you and your family have a great adventure ahead.
We are also in San Diego for the summer and planning on joining the haha on October 26th. We (myself, hubby and 17 YO daughter) are very excited.
Maybe we will run into each other ....we are on a CT54 ketch and are currently at the navy marina in Coronado but will probably spend some time in the cruisers anchorage before leaving.
Best,
Jackie
s/v Chrokeva
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 19:32   #4

Boat: Farrier f27
Welcome to the forum & San Diego. Enjoy your summer here, this is the stepping off point for real adventure. Also if you need anything around town I've been here pretty much 27 yrs.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 21:34   #5

Boat: 1967 Angleman Sea Spirit
Welcome Goin' Cruising33, as far as cooking onboard I purchaced a real deal cruising cook book, (the cruising chef cook) from Greenwald, second edition. The book tells about food storage time, great heathy easy to make meals, prvisioning, fishing ideas, and so on. Second, there is also great info DVD's from Lin and Larry Pardey that are available on amazon.com. they are very informative on cruising ideas and how to outfit your sailboat the simple way. Respectfully Bill
Old 26-06-2009, 09:46   #6

Boat: Gulfstar Sailmaster 47 - Ohana
Thanks Erika

We are looking forward to the whole thing. We love the boat, although we promised ourselves that we wouldn't buy too much of a fix-er-uper and well, you know how that goes. We have now found ourselves pretty much in a full blown refit--but, buy the time we take off it will have everything and anything that we want to go cruising--so that will be nice. Next step....learning how to SAIL!! Fortunately my husband has loads of experience and lived on a boat for years. He loves Mexico so we are happy that we are starting there. We used to live in Houston and would go down to Kemah all the time with the kids. Actually, we almost bought a boat in Kemah before we found the Gulfstar....really one of the biggest reasons we bought the GS is because it was in San Diego--we love it here....take care.
Goin'Cruising33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 11:18   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!
Is the Navy marina still at Fiddler's Cove? I remember the old club there that used to offer classes and I was one of their instructors in the 70s and 80s. Great place!
Good to have you on the forum.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 22:07   #8

Boat: Skookum 53'
Welcome to the forum Goin'Cruising 33.

Tags
san diego