Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2010, 18:18   #1

Boat: N/A
Thumbs up Hello from San Diego !

Hey guys, new to the forum and pretty new to sailing! I've been at it for a couple months now.. I bought a groupon for an ASA 101 class and I have honestly been hooked ever since! I feel like I want to go sail every weekend...I find sailing incredibly relaxing, a real escape from the daily grind.. if you know what I mean. Sort of like being on another planet for a short while.

I've been thinking of ways to get a boat to use every weekend, since renting that often didn't make much sense. (financially) - After I posted on facebook about sailing, one friend of mine said he had a McGreggor 26' Classic that he hardly used and he just paid for the slip. Lets just say I got really excited =)

I've been taking the McGreggor out about half a dozen times so far and I'm even more hooked. I have yet to really go far from the Bay but I figure baby steps right?

I had my first "oh ****" moment when a sidestay (shroud) snapped (doh)
....then again when the line on the front of the rudder snapped (to hold the rudder in the water fully) then AGAIN with the mainsail halyard snapping.... but thanks to a calm head and good team-work we fixed all issues.

I'd like to continue learning and possibly do something a bit more long distance, like Catalina island perhaps? (I know some of you are laughing at the idea that this is "long distance") so maybe the ASA 103/104 combo class is a good next starting point? Any input would be appreciated.

Anyway I've been rambling on here.. My name is Sasha I'm a 27 year old male, I work as a computer nerd in the San Diego area. If anyone on here needs a hand sailing, I'm always down to learn more.

Thanks for reading!
ShapedFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 18:52   #2

Location: Paradise (better known to most people as: Philippines)
Boat: 65' Custom Steel Ketch
Greetings, ShapedFuture!

Good to see you on the forums! I'm 28 and would also probably describe myself as a computer nerd I started sailing when I was eleven, and had been on boats since I was five, but sailing was an obvious for me.

The first time we set the sails, turned off the motor, and the boat kept moving in the right direction was one of the true epiphanies of my life. I learned more about the possibilities for life in that instant than at any other waking moment I can recall.

Good to hear you were able to get past your first couple minor bumps and bruises without losing your cool

I have to say I've never taken a proper lesson, so I can't tell you how much you should do there. I do hear that enrolling in those programs gives access to different types of boats, which would be invaluable in guiding your future dream's direction in terms of what you want to end up with.

Keep to it, and really try to appreciate sailing for what it can be: a lifestyle. If you do, and it really does suit you through and through, you'll find yourself in a similar position to me a year ago when I took off on my first solo Pacific crossing

Sailing has the potential to be a dream that never ends. I wish you the best!
NotQuiteLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 20:46   #3

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Sasha, Go visit Downwind Marine on Canon St in Pt. Loma. They are a great group of folks who can direct you in productive ways to learn more and get some crewing opportunities. San Diego will offer you a wide selection of sailing experiences on every kind of craft imaginable. Also, get to know Seabreeze Books, nearby, for some great written resources that will help you learn. Southwestern Yacht Club, also nearby, hosts the Power Squadron and Coast Guard Auxiliary classes in all aspects of seamanship. Ask Lee at Downwind for more info, and tell him Roy sent you.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 21:04   #4

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Hey Sasha,
I am glad that you will be posting here. I hope you continue enjoying your classes and experiencing both the relaxing and lively moments of sailing!
Spencer
Old 30-09-2010, 23:17   #5

Boat: hartley tahitian Mandala 38ft
G day Sasha
My name is Mick and the yacht in the picture is a Hartley tahitian which i bought for $18000 and i have had her for almost 1 year, she is made of ferro cement and tough as a world war two bunker, she is 38ft long and weighs 13 ton, anyway when i was 14 i sailed from west africa to St Thomas with my dad on a ferro yacht called Namutoni which we sold in St Thomas, maybe you could look around for me and see if you have seen her, she is a samson c deuce ketch, and was yellow when we sold her.
Anyway its been 30 years since sailing on her and since we bought our yacht we have been out in it almost every weekend so i know exactly how you feel about sailing, anyway we i live in Townsville Australia on the great barrier reef, anyway have happy sailing regards Mick
redzulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 00:43   #6

San Diego as well!
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:31   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'Day and welcome,
Great to read of your enthusiasm and do not worry - we all viewed our first 'long distance' sail with trepidation..........as they say, nothing builds experience better than experience.
Enjoy the sailing and the forum - good luck.
JOHN
Old 01-10-2010, 08:53   #8

Roy - thanks for the tips, I'll hit up downwind and check out the bookstore as well.

Rebel Heart- I like your blog =)

Thanks for all the positive messages guys.. I hope to gain as much experience as possible and one day get my own boat for an adventure!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Sasha, Go visit Downwind Marine on Canon St in Pt. Loma. They are a great group of folks who can direct you in productive ways to learn more and get some crewing opportunities. San Diego will offer you a wide selection of sailing experiences on every kind of craft imaginable. Also, get to know Seabreeze Books, nearby, for some great written resources that will help you learn. Southwestern Yacht Club, also nearby, hosts the Power Squadron and Coast Guard Auxiliary classes in all aspects of seamanship. Ask Lee at Downwind for more info, and tell him Roy sent you.

Hey Roy - question for ya.

I was checking out Southwest Yacht Club.. what do you suggest would be the best way to get your foot in the door? I don't really know any members but I'd be super interested in learning more about the club.
Old 19-10-2010, 15:21   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I used to sail San Diego many years ago. Great sailing. Winds start at 10 and are done at 4 if I remember right.
Good to have you here.
kind regards,

Tags
san diego