Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2021, 22:23   #1

Boat: Looking
Hello from Singapore

Hello all,

I’m a noob and have never owned a boat. But I’ve always enjoyed being out on the water, whether in a canoe or a cruise ship, or anything in between. It’s been a lifelong dream to retire on a liveaboard boat and explore parts of the world. At first the dream was always a sailboat, but lately has turned towards power boating.

I’m Canadian, my wife is Singaporean, and we’ve been living and working in Singapore for 25 years. Retirement is approaching and we are beginning to look seriously at the boating dream. But the situation is a bit complicated. We would like to remain domiciled in Singapore for tax reasons, but spend much/most of our time on a boat in Canadian/US waters, with occasional trips to other countries and back to Singapore, with medical insurance where necessary to cover us wherever we are.

So there are a lot of questions I’ll be asking in due course about purchase, registration, taxes, insurance etc for non-residents. I saw the post by bonobo which covered some of this, which was hugely helpful.

Anyway, nice to meet you all, and I’ll see you on the various boards. Have a good day!

Regards,
Kevin
Kevin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 01:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hello from Singapore

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kevin.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:29   #3

Boat: Grampian 26

Hi and welcome from Ontario Canada [emoji1063]
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:47   #4

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

Kevin
This is funny... Both my wife and I were born in Singapore, myself in Changi and my wife in Jurong. I'm British and my wife Singaporean. We are currently in Minnesota but I keep taking off to go sailing. I have just crossed the Atlantic and I'm preparing to get myself around South Africa and head back to Singapore. I am a Green Card holder in the US so I can't have a 'coast guard' registered boat. it has to be state registered just like a car. there are also a lot of foreign registered boats in Florida for tax reasons. Anything I can help with just ask.

Regards Steven (Khensu)
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 13:26   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 16:00   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Kevin! I have some fond memories, (and crazy stories,) of visiting Singapore many years ago. Is the Changi yacht club still there?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Singapore