Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2022, 02:14   #16

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'
Re: Hello from Sitka, Alaska

Howdy Scott!

I am going to be sailing my boat up to Alaska this spring, and will be making my way through Seward, possibly spending the 4th of July there.

I just finished a 3 year refit myself in Port Townsend Washington.

Might see me when I am up there.
Old 26-12-2022, 13:43   #17

Boat: Irwin 41' CC Ketch

Hello Everyone,

Merry Christmas (or whichever holiday you may observe) and Happy New Year.

Zeketronics - I took a break for the coldest months to have eye surgery up in Anchorage. Won't be back working on the boat for a few more months now. Most likely Mid February. As far as working in the wet, boats and oceans are always wet. Usually there are decent dry patches during the days and even some really nice days. Most of it is about the planning and execution I find. Once the Masts are off I plan to tent the boat with heavy canvas tarps to keep water out while I deal with the issues above water line. Thru-hulls seem to be holding up and if leaking they are leaking minimally. There are only about 4 Thru-hulls on the boat, so shouldn't be overly burdensome to replace them one at a time, on the tidal grid, if needs be.

RaymondR - Yes If I have the money, time and engineering I would like to extend the stern about 5 or 6 feet. I would like to add approx 24 inches to the rear cabin and past that create a step down (pseudo sugar scoop) rear platform or at least one step ledge. This may not be structurally feasible or even possible. My goal is to have some type of swim platform on the stern and have an easy way to climb on the boat from in the water. Thank you so much on the boat compliment. So far it has all been removing trash and debris, then prepping for the refit. Finally, I am at the stage to start going back together with it when I get back to Sitka in February.

Renegde Sailor - You have a gorgeous boat, Love It ! If you have the time I highly recommend a stop over in Sitka. Beautiful place to see and experience. Seward is also really nice. You can catch the train from Seward up to Anchorage for only a couple hundred dollars also. Awesome train ride, with a bar car. If you make it to Sitka, look me up on the Transient Pier at Eliason Harbor.

Scott
project posit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 16:42   #18

Boat: Island Packet 40

Hi Project,

I have found that whilst sugar scoop sterns and duck boards are nice to have if boarding over the transom in calm waters they are an outright menace in any sort of rough sea where the boat is pitching and that overall a boarding ladder which can be folded down and stop the dingy from going under the stern and having a number of rungs which timing allows one to step onto at the top of the rise of the dingy provides the best circumstances for boarding in rough conditions.
Old 29-12-2022, 05:41   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Welcome to Cruisers forum Scott.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2022, 19:33   #20

Boat: Tanzer 8.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by project posit View Post
...There are only about 4 Thru-hulls on the boat, so shouldn't be overly burdensome to replace them one at a time, on the tidal grid, if needs be...
Congrats on the new boat.

If you have the swing keel version there is a pipe where the cable to lift/lower the swing keel passes through into the keel box. Worked on an Irwin 52 that was leaking from that spot. Pain in the but to get to in the 52. Not sure where it's located on the 41. If yours doesn't have the swing keel you're lucky. That swing keel is a pain in the butt. Stuck up, stuck down, knocks when down, cable corrodes and breaks, SS pivot pin bends when striking something under water... Some people just gave up and glassed the keel box closed.
CantRemember is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska