Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2008, 23:42   #1

Boat: Outbound 44 sv Sequoia
Hello from sv Sequoia

Cheers, everyone:

New to this forum and just wanted to say Hello. My wife and I have an Outbound 44, sv Sequoia, which we have cruised around Vancouver Island and across the South Pacific. I look forward to contributing or asking for advice as appropriate.

Fair winds,
Craig (aka k7cej)
k7cej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 13:00   #2

Hello Craig, our 42" Cheoy Lee is on the hard in Southwest Harbor Maine. We hope to get up to Vancouver Island if not this summer than next. I guess you haul Sequoia out of the water up there in the winter. Can you recomend a good marina and some great anchoring spots?? I am new to the forum also. Very friendly and informative site.
Lydia
Izurde
Cheoy Lee 42' Schooner,1972
Lydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 16:53   #3

Vancouver Island, British Columbia has lots of rain and occasionally snow in the winter, but the conditions are mild enough that harbors don't freeze and it is umcommon for boats to be hauled for the winter. Here in Portland, Oregon, where our boat is moored, I close the through-hulls and put antifreeze into the engine's raw water circuit, sink and head drains. We are in the midst of the coldest spell this winter, low 20s at night and high 30s during the day.

There are many fine marinas in Washington state and British Columbia. On Vancouver Island, Victoria harbor is very downtown but a bit busy for most live-aboards, but Oak Bay Marina nearby might be a possibility. Many cruisers wintering in the area stay in Nanaimo (about 1 hr north of Victoria on the bus), a charming town with reasonable facilities and a number of cruising destinations accessible even in winter.

I'm not sure we are talking about the same place --is there a Vancouver Island on the East Coast? Will you be cruising here, or chartering? If I knew more about your plans and interests I could give better advice.
Old 23-01-2008, 17:06   #4

Boat: S/V Pooka Com-Pac 27
My dream boat, Outbound 44!
If for no other reason I love that work room.
By the way, how do they sail? Like I could ever afford one on a Firefighters pension.
Old 23-01-2008, 17:40   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Craig,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you on the forum. Quite a few folks here are from your area so I hope they send a hello.
I'm originally from Salem.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 20:27   #6

Outbound 44

bmiller:

The Outbound is a fine boat. We have sailed her over 15,000 nm, including all the way to Australia. She is very comfortable and faster than most cruising boats her size --we averaged 150nm/day on our passages in the South Pacific. While we haven't had a test in more than 45-50 kn winds, I am sure the boat will take more than her crew...

Craig