Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2008, 13:27   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Ketch- INTERIM
Hello from the Big Easy

I just joined up and have already asked and had questions answered. I'm sailing a Pearson 365 "INTERIM". She took a real beating from KATRINA, but like a timex she keeps on ticking. As I go through the rebuilding stage I'm also attempting to correct 30 years and 3 former owners jury rigging.
I"m sure you will all become familiar with my name as I will be using this format to get answers to my many questions
Roy Olsen
Lake Pontchartrain
New Orleans, LA
Roy I. Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 17:12   #2
Den

Boat: Dreaming of one day owning a 25-30 footer.....
Welcome Roy.

I don't have any answers as I'm here to learn myself but I sure can say "Hello"!! There are so many helpful people here. Hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do.

"Life's a gas."-The Ramones.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 17:39   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum, RIO. It's a pleasure to have you here.

You (and everyone else in New Orleans and the adjacent communities) have my profound admiration for taking a devastating right cross right on the chin that may have driven you to your knees, but it couldn't knock you out! The ability to get back up, cope with the reality of the situation and move forward, undaunted, is an object lesson for us all.

Don't hesitate to throw any question you may have into this forum, Roy. We may not have the answers you need, but we never run out of opinions.

Again, welcome to Cruisers Forum. Make yourself right at home!

TaoJones
Old 17-06-2008, 19:09   #4

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
Welcome Roy...I'm in the same boat -- Katrina damage and a previous owner who was more of a carpenter than he was a planner!

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 19:22   #5

Boat: HUNTER 37 LEGEND VOYGAER
Hey Drew....
Welcome aboard......I'm the "Newbie" a couple of spaces down the list on the Meet and Greet board......Live in Lake Charles on the other side of the State, but If I can help give me a holler......Nonstop_34@Yahoo.com
You can be helpful to me......Heard there are Sailboats lining the Marina streets....all up for sale....still so????
Regards
Robert A.
ROBERT A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 19:44   #6

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
Most of the boats on land were trash unfortunately. I took a photo back in 06 that appeared in Lats and Atts that showed a slew of the on sides and one with a car shot through it like an arrow. It was a mess.

Right now though there are a bunch of boats in the marina that could be for sale I would think. I have a buddy with a Columbia 45 for sale that just needs some cosmetics. Let me know what you're looking for and I'll walk the docks and see if I can get you some leads.

You ever sail the gulf between LC and here?

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 20:24   #7

Boat: HUNTER 37 LEGEND VOYGAER
Hey Drew.....
wasn't looking for anything particular.....to answer the question about the Gulf......don't believe the forum is big enough to handle the story.......Yes I spent a year of my life one week crossing the Gulf.....Headed out of Punta Gorda Florida on a 1988 37' Hunter Legend....A year ago last month.....like sailing in a washing machine...7 miles into the gulf got hit by two rain squalls of about 45 minutes duration....had to drop the main, roller reef the jib..... this was monday P.M.......motor sailed all night......sailed Tuesday during daylight hours.....and motored the rest of the way to the mouth of the Mississippi.........4 days of howling winds (30+kts) and 8 to 14 seas depending on the time of day.....straight as a arrow from florida to lake charles (calcasieu pass) following seas. howling wind, bright blue skies.....seas off the starboard stern and surfing down the waves bare poled with engine used to provide steering.....the wind was making so much noise in the rigging, you couldn't hear the diesel running under your feet.......the auto pilot couldn't handle the following seas,so we manually steered for 6 days and nights.....by the third day it was getting to the point that it was fun and we started to enjoy the challenges......couldn't be afraid anymore.....we were 180 miles from the nearest land in any direction.......I don't care what anyone says about a Hunters.....in a following sea with a reliable engine, I'll take one anywhere......I could go on for hours with the story or stories.....that can come later........
Was just wondering if any of the insurance companies might still be trying to dump some storm claims......would only be intrested in Water boats">blue water boats in the 40' range......
Thanks for the reply and lets try to get together......I use to compete in the Gulf south carving competition and show in the fall....but since the storm....it don't happen anymore........
Regards
Robert A.
ROBERT A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 07:59   #8

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Saint's fans that sail, there must be more than me. I grew up in Chalemette and went to school in the Ninth ward. The hurricane's I remember are Betsy in the 60's and I was in Pascagoula for Camile then Mobile for Frederick. I fortunately missed Katrina.

Geaux Saints!
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:24   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Roy,
Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy the forum. It appears you've found some neighbors already.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote