Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2016, 19:33   #1

Hello from the desert.

I live 100 miles from the nearest navigable source of water. Well, other than a canoe or kayak.
However I have developed a desire to sail around the world.
Now, I have sailed around the world, well, partway, as a member of the U.S. Navy. Hence the username. Heck, Im even a shellback. But I have only been on the ocean once since 88.
But I am tired of land and the people on it, so I am starting to think of just sailing into the sunset.
However, I have a wife who is non to thrilled about the prospect, and I don't even know if she will go. Heck I don't even know if I will................
But I am interested in living aboard, and at least doing local coastal sailing. This would be the west coast. We are talking Mexico to Alaska, possibly east coast and Caribbean.
This will not be happening for a few years, so I am here to start my learning process. I have already learned much just lurking, but I have questions, so I joined.
I am planning on taking some sailing lessons starting this summer, so no, I won't be one of those "buy a boat and learn as I start a global circumnavigation" guys.
Anyway, Ill try not to be much of a bother as I don't know anything so I have nothing to contribute.
Just wanted to say hi, so when my name pops up asking a question you'll kinda know who the noob is.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 20:17   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Hello from the desert.

G'Day Squid, and welcome to the active part of CF. Sounds like you have desert phobia and need a big dose of sea water to cure it. Getting some sailing experience and/or lessons will give your as yet vague desires some focus, and if you include your wife in the process she might just catch the bug too. If you exclude here from the learning process, well, you are doomed to singlehanding (even if she goes along with you!).

You might get her to read some of the many posts by women cruisers here on CF. Being a bit biased, i can recommend those by my cruising wife, Ann T Cate. She, and several other clued up ladies have encouraged reluctant partners along the path toward actually enjoying the life... and that's a worthwhile goal!

Good luck,

Jim
Old 08-06-2016, 21:04   #3

Thanks for the info and welcome Jim. Sadly, she wouldn't be able to participate in the learning process due to a current health issue. This is also one of the reasons (theres one other)why this is a few years off. Probably about 5. So Im in no big hurry. I may be able to teach her a bit when she is able to go. But if not, then Ill handle it. And if she decides it isn't for her ( she is a desert rat and land lubber so my suspicion is she won't dig it anyway. )then Ill be single handing it anyway. But who knows.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:35   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

Landlockedsquid, you don't have to sail around the world to enjoy living on the water, I know a few couples who hardly ever go out of the marina who have very successful on-water partnerships.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 17:21   #5

Im not necessarily going to do that, but I might. Ill figure it out when the time comes.