Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2008, 14:34   #1

Boat: TBD
Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Hello everyone!

I've been sneaking around the forums a bit already and so has my partner "Gitarwmn". Thought it would be better if I introduced us both.

We're a couple of ladies getting a boat to liveaboard and live out our dream. We're documenting the entire process in our blog from purchase of our first boat to hopefully someday the purchase of our dream boat and beyond. Laugh at our newbie mistakes, maybe occasionally take pity and comment to offer some salty advice.

My boat blog: http://sweetsurrendertheboat.blogspot.com

I'd love to hear any salty advice on anything. I am here to learn from experience.

We've got a boat in our sights and expect to be living on the boat within the next couple of months. Let the downsizing begin!

Grateful to make your acquaintance!

- Sweet Surrender
SweetSurrender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 14:45   #2

Good for you. Lots to learn but getting started you want to have the right hull and then you can do all the fun stuff of making it yours and redoing everything to make it worthy of the kind of cruising you want to do. I began with a new boat and I still spent 6 years getting it all right including me learning to sail her. Twenty three years on I am still working in her redoing things. It doesn't end. The boat gets better with time and I enjoy messing about on the boat and sailing her, especially knowing that everything works! And then there are the spares and tools and paring down to what you really need and that turns out to be deliciously little.

Take your time. It's all fun and there's no need to rush. Sailing is not about getting there fast, but getting there safely and enjoying every moment of the journey.

Fair winds and following seas!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 14:52   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Hey, You stole our site layout, just kidding. Have a look at our Sea Trek website and I think you will find lots of good info if we might do a little self promotion. There are lots and lots of posts so go down the left column under Our Posts and look for items that might interest you. We have done some extensive posts on outfitting the boat, expenses from our experience and lots of stories from our travels. Hope it helps with some info.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 15:02   #4

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Welcome Aboard girls...

Only advice I have because I havent cut the dock lines yet is wait 4 months not 2 to move aboard...its darn wet and cold around here for a small live aboard boat situation if you havent done it before and know the tricks.

Look forward to hearing about your progress...and pleas keep posting ..some of us dont bother with blogs after maybe the initial look see...this place is enough to keep up with..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 22:40   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Hi, from a fellow Puget Sounder!

My wife and I started this process about 3 years ago -- learning about boats, sailing, cruising, etc., etc., etc. There's lots of the "etc" in this cruising business.

We've been on our boat and cruising for a year now. Got about 3500 nm's under the keels in that time. We've learned a lot and had a few moments of sheer terror, but lots more great times. Sure, some people will tell you all sorts of negative stuff and look at you like you're nuts. My brother kept looking at me like I'd grown a third ear on the end of my nose. But, there's another side to it -- lots of 'em and I mean, lots of them, are actually envious. Not because they couldn't do it, too, but because they won't do it.

Follow your dream, because if you don't, now that would be crazy!

(Currently visiting back in cold, snowy Seattle, but going back to t-shirts and shorts in Florida, to depart to the Bahamas and Caribbean -- on Monday.)

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 10:36   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Sweet,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you lurking around the forum. There is a lot of great information here.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 10:46   #7

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Hi ladies and welcome.

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 10:49   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41
Welcome aboard.

Great idea nd location.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 11:01   #9
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Welcome gals
Old 28-12-2008, 23:57   #10

Boat: Caliber 40
Hey there! My SO and I are just months ahead of you two in the process. We bought our dream boat this summer and are now learning just what it takes to heat said dream boat in 25 degree weather.

Don't care. Living aboard kicks 9 kinds of ass.

Jason
Caliber 40 hull #55
janders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pacific northwest