Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2012, 22:39   #1

Send a message via AIM to chamouli
Hello, Howdy, and Aloha - What's a CHAMOULI after all?

Well, this is my 1st official post. (OK, I cheated a little and sent a response or two on another thread but I just couldn't help myself) But, as far as an actual self-originated post…it all starts here baby!

So, my tagname "Chamouli" and a little about it. For those of you of the French persuasion who may have thought something like "Shamoolie" or "Sheamoolee" forget about it, not even close! Naah, this name was actually earned in the Marianas chain where I spent some time on the island of Guam. I'm originally from Texas and I grew up with frequent BBQ's and entertaining, well, as I traveled around the island and learned the local customs I stumbled upon their village fiesta's which reminded me of our gatherings at home. (Mind you this is quite the opposite of a mexican siesta) I hit it off with the locals, and to be born and raised in Guam generation after generation your bloodline is known as "Chamarro" (chuh-marr-oh) and let's face it, I'm blond haired and blue eyed - not exactly a "local". (technically speaking the hair has a lot more distinguished silver and grey complimenting the blonde now, but you get my drift)

But, they sort of adopted me as one of their own. Half Chamarro and Half Haouli (how-lee) and there you have it ladies and gentlemen > "chamouli" (chuhm-ow-lee).

I'm a USN veteran of 14+ years (honorable medical retired) and let's just say I have probably ridden every ship, boat, tug, watercraft, and "toy" in the fleet. Without getting into that life too much, I spent a lot of time getting to locations around the world, and a lot of time in the water. I have always loved the sea/ocean. But somebody else was always doing the driving! We were just there with ships company as passengers, although I think some people thought of us as cargo. But, I loved being at sea. There is just something about it you can't shake.

Growing up in Port Arthur, TX, we were near the beach. I grew up in a swimming pool, and my parents thought I was part fish! I was in the water all the time. Later, I became a certified diver and dove the Cayman Islands with my dad while I was getting ready to start high school. My stepmother is from Cayman Brac, coincidentally my wife is from Guam, has anyone heard the song "Island Girl"!

My first home I bought was in Virginia Beach. The first place I lived after the Navy, was Oahu Hawaii for almost 9 years! Fast forward to today….I moved to San Antonio a little over 7 years ago, and had a house built that I thought I would retire in. I work as a Global Consultant with a private software company headquartered out of Sunnyvale CA. I travel nearly every single week for the past 5 years. I average 120 to 150K AIR miles a year (my car averages about 8!!!!). My daughter has one more year to go and she graduates with a BA in International Business and Marketing from Baylor University (and yes I am broke)! he he he.

Then I saw something that changed everything! I stumbled across the 43' Norhavn "Three@Sea" video blogs. Suddenly, the world seemed to slow down, and a crystal clear path opened up before me (no it wasn't like the sea parting - I'm no Moses!) it was the path that many on this forum have chosen - a life at sea.

It will probably be at least a year give or take a few months, but I need the time to soak up the knowledge! I was referred to this sight by 'David" the skipper of Three@Sea and he has already given me a list of books to start reading. So, the journey has officially begun and in a way you are all part of it. Whether you like it or not, your part of my learning curve.

For timing I couldn't have scripted it any better. We are heading off to Florida (Tampa) on vacation in early October and I plan on touring a LOT of boats (I know, they're pretty scarce in Florida, but I'm pretty focused, so I hope to find one or two). I know a lot of you are Sailors (purveyors of the wind) but I'm not even thinking about that route, my journey will be under power.
Me relying completely on the wind would be like Rapunzel trying to blow-dry her hair with a straw! It just ain't happening! lol But, for those of you who do it that way, I have mad respect for you. It is that respect which lead me to my first Navigation purchase this evening. "The Navigation Handbook" by Jeff Toghill. I am actually excited! I have studied topographical maps and sextants before, but it wasn't quite for plotting like this. I am really looking forward to what I believe is the most important part of Ocean travel - knowing where the hell your going, and being able to prove it!

Financially, we pay off my daughters car, and my lease is up in two months. That's two car payments that I can start to stash away while over the course of the year as we make up our mind to either sell our home, or rent it out. Either way, we are committed and focused to make this all happen. OK, I am committed and focused, the wife is still at the smiling about it stage so I have another journey to "expedition" there. But she loves to travel, she just never thought about getting their this way.

Well, now you know a little about me. Can't wait to meet some of you guys n gals out on the water.
Tomorrow I head out to get my "Honey, I bought a boat" book. (Thanks Dave!)

Ron
chamouli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 23:21   #2

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Re: Hello, Howdy, and Aloha - What's a CHAMOULI after all?

A fantastic start to the journey ... thanks for sharing and may your dreams come true. It took us 2 years just to get the boat ready for departure so look carefully at how much needs to be done before you sell up!
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 23:34   #3

Hello Impi!

I am beginning to understand that before you actually "shove off" on the maiden voyage - sailing/cruising is all about "lists"

- lists of potential boats
- lists of things to study
- lists of questions to ask
- lists of answers to your questions
- lists of other lists (heheheheh)
- eventually there will be grocery lists and honey-do lists
(Hey!!!!! I already have some of those, so I am ahead of the game already)!

Thanks for the well wishes Impi, and the advice.

Ron
Old 25-08-2012, 03:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ron.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 04:57   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard, Ron (soon to be Capt. Ron?). Go for it...hope to see you out on the water!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:58   #6

Capt. Ron - you gotta like the sound of that! But I don't think the wife is gonna go for the "First Mate" thing..."Conning Officer" maybe....thanks for the welcome Mike!

Hope to meet many of you out on the water!

Ron
Old 02-09-2012, 09:07   #7

Boat: OEM, proportional

G'day Ron, welcome! Sounds like the seabug has bitten you too. Let's see if the engineless one finds you too...
Old 02-09-2012, 09:25   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamouli
I don't think the wife is gonna go for the "First Mate" thing..."Conning Officer" maybe....
Outstanding!!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:00   #9

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Welcome! I may be the Captain but my wife is the Admiral of the fleet.
Old 30-10-2012, 21:30   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
I always called my Guamanian friends "Guamadoos." Of course, they didn't like it much. Stayed friends anyway.
Navy vet here too and thank you for your service. Destroyers and Cruisers with a few others thrown in for good measure. First ship was in Pearl Harbor in '63.
Ever get down to the Guamanian Friendship Club at Pearl Harbor? I kept my boat in that area for several years.
kind regards,