Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2010, 19:37   #16

Boat: Kelsall Tango 40 catamaran
I think you'll develop a love for sailing as you already have for white water. It'll take time to see it as home like the arenas you master now, but when you do, I believe sailing has so many powers, obvious and strong ones as well as the subtle feels you don't notice until it's part of you. I'm totally addicted to so many sides of it. Your seemingly lyrical attitude to kayaking resembles what sailing brings. A burning that gives peace of mind. A lack of boundaries that makes you want to share. Sailing is the plain and simple way of making a vessel move, but that is such a small part of it. This most likely is for you, even though the road to the previously mentioned sides of it is cobbled with troubles and discomfort. Your attitude works. That road will seem easy.

I'd like to elaborate the action side of sailing. It's not dangerous really. Of course it might be, but nowhere near as dangerous as other sports you do and I do. When I sail the F18 Wild Cat flying 20 knots plus, inches from the waves, spray all over, both guys on the trapezes and rudders shrieking, there is no feel of danger or drama, because it's perfectly safe. I feel no need for sharks in a feeding frenzy. :-D The strong feeling of joy comes from pushing limits of ability, feeling the power tensioning all pieces of the boat like a bow where I'm the arrow, seing a beautiful scene and feeling the whole thing add up and work. Kind of like when a musical ensemble hear what they play joins to form a single entity approaching perfection. Or like flying down a perfect virgin powder slope on the snowboard and feeling that the turns are perfectly balanced like a ballet dancer. I think that side of sailing is for you too.

But there is no doubt that cruising with your family is where you should start, given the temptation you feel for that. I'm a firm believer in temptation as a good leader. Maybe it hasn't got me the power I would have if I used my abilities more ambitiously, but it has given me a fabulously good life and the ability to spread that to others. Temptation is much better than ambition, (but both can benefit from a hint of contemplation.)

Got to go to sleep now. Going to a seminar (sailing of course) all weekend. Getting up in 4 hours.

Stein
Old 22-03-2010, 05:06   #17

Stein, Thanks again! I hope you had fun at the sailing seminar! Thanks for sharing that experience with me! 20 knots is fast but for wind powered I bet I don't have clue how fast that is! I found a guy in my area that has a Norsea 27 he invited me and the wife to come and see it. It may or may not be for sale. He mentioned looking at BCC, Tayana 37 and a tri hull boats. If it does come for sale I will post a link with 100+ photos that was emailed to me. It looks nice and would value any input!
Thanks again!
whiteH2Okayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 05:36   #18

Boat: Privilege 37
Having read through this whole thread, I get the impression that you (and your wife) are not the sort of people who would like a staid slow sailing craft, but that you are more interested in something that can give you a buzz. I believe that you need to look at an F-27 or perhaps the Dragonfly on the basis that you will definitely get the fun, but will also have a very capable sailboat.
Old 26-03-2010, 05:58   #19

Talking

talbot, thanks for reading and your suggestions!

I have decided to buy a small fun boat and one day buy hopefully a Norsea. I bought my 1st sailboat this week!! I bought a fireball dingie in good condition for $300 with trailer. It is an old wood boat that has been kept indoors. I found no rotten wood but will have to be sanded, at least the deck. The hull paint still looks good. There is a lot of info and video of races in this boat and it looks fun! I am excited if you can't tell!
Eric
whiteH2Okayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 10:34   #20

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Ha!....I knew you weren't done going fast yet..

Mumm 30 next!!.....wanna bet?

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 14:17   #21

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Welcome aboard!
I hope you enjoy the forum.
regards,