Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2011, 00:05   #16

Boat: Traditional 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher C J View Post
Good old Narrabri, I spent my younger years up there and we owned a business in the town for many many years. great town, its one of the very few country towns I could move to (if I had to give up the coast that is).

Where are you planning on getting lessons etc?

Cheers
Oz
I was born and went to school in Narrabri, living on a farm, after which I lived on the coast, until medical retirement got me back here for 10 years.

As for getting lessons, it would be great if I can get a boat moored at Pittwater for around 3 months. Otherwise, Lake Macquarie. But I need the boat first so spend hours looking at a computer screen. An early 80s Adams 31 looks good and within budget. An early 80s Adams 35, steel, looks good but.... solo and rust? Basically, I'd like to deal with a broker who can access these needs.[/QUOTE]

There are easier ways. You dont need to own the boat. There are schools on the harbour, lake mac as well as pittwater. To start with, all you would need is competant crew which you can get in a week. Later aim for inshore skipper then yachtmaster much much later.

Early steel boats = rust as you elluded to. Newer steel isnt too bad. but plastic is easiest to maintain and re-sell of course. keep us posted .

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 00:25   #17

Boat: none.... lookng
Early steel boats = rust as you elluded to. Newer steel isnt too bad. but plastic is easiest to maintain and re-sell of course. keep us posted .

Cheers
Oz[/QUOTE]

Been doing some reading... there are times when it is better to think with your heart then your brain. The steel Adams 35 I find hard to resist, very nicely designed.
Christopher C J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 03:02   #18

Boat: Still doing research...
Hello

Hello Chris

It seems I'm in the same boat (pardon the pun) as you. I too am looking for a boat, and plan to live in it, while crusing up and down the east coast of Australia to get experience before tackling some blue water passages.

I'm in Sydney, but will most likely make Port Stephens (Nelson Bay), my home port (also my hometown. A place where I grew up).

Right now, I'm in the research stage of (future) boat ownership. So some exciting and frustrating times ahead.
Old 16-02-2011, 13:34   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to joey69
WELCOME
joey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:38   #20

Re: Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Hello Chris

It seems I'm in the same boat (pardon the pun) as you.

I'm in Sydney, but will most likely make Port Stephens (Nelson Bay), my home port (also my hometown. A place where I grew up).d.

Maybe we shall meet in Nelson Bay.

The lawyers have mucked up deed titles, so another 3 month wait ahead, oh dear.

So, now I am designing electrical systems, computers, micro ITX, Mac power book pro and should I take my JBL monitors with me? Life without music is no life at all, but Sex Pistols after midnight in a marina may not be a good way to make friends.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:19   #21

Boat: Adams 35ft, round bilge steel, SV Saaremaa
Re: Hello, Introduction from New South Wales

Hi Chris, Welcome to the forum. It's a good time to be a boat buyer as there are a number of good deals around in the 31-35 ft range. I would go for 35 over 31ft if you are intending to live aboard for any length of time especially with an onboard darkroom.
Good luck in your search but don't rush in and choose wisely. It goes without saying to get a survey done for extra peace of mind. Lake Macquarie has a few boats in your size range for sale.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:46   #22

Boat: Adams 35ft, round bilge steel, SV Saaremaa

Hi Chris,
Our Adams 35 is a round bilge steel boat of 1983 vintage which we have had for 6 1/2 years and have done extensive work on her. eg New rigging, repaint and rewelding of a few rusty spots. I like steel because it is strong but there is always a bit of work to keep the rust in check. The hull rusts from the inside out so it is essential that the stringers have the corners cut out to stop water pooling, allowing it to run to the bilge. A dusty bilge with cobwebs is even better but to achieve this a deck stepped mast and a dripless shaft seal eg PSS is needed.
The Adams 35 is a cruising boat that sails well but it does not have the volume of a Beneteau 35.
We have cruised 'Saaremaa' up to Queensland see our blog at the following address "saaremaasailson.blogspot.com".
Saaremaa is moored on Lake Macquarie and we have been very happy with the design.
Remember steel ruste, plastic gets osmosis and wood rots so you takes your pick. I would still buy another steely if upgrading.
Good luck in your search.
Michael Norwood
Old 11-03-2011, 04:51   #23

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Well, it's definately a buyer's market out there. Three years ago I bought a Compass 29 for $42K. maybe I paid a little too much for it. It's a good boat with a little bit of Osmosis but probably normal for the age. Today I can't a sale at any price as soon as the surveyor says "Osmosis". Realistically it's not a problem and it's one way to get a good boat very cheap. When my new one gets here if I have to I'll give her away.
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 22:50   #24

[QUOTE=micknor51;640107]Hi Chris,
Our Adams 35 is a round bilge steel boat of 1983 vintage which we have had for 6 1/2 years and have done extensive work on her. eg New rigging, repaint and rewelding of a few rusty spots. I like steel because it is strong but there is always a bit of work to keep the rust in check.

Nice to hear from Adams 35 owners. I have my eye on a couple if for no other reason then they look nice.

I know what steel is but fg, I don't know much about, even if it has been 30 years since I last used a welder.

Adams 35s look like they would fit my needs, and the price!