Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2013, 06:28   #1

Boat: '83 Endeavour 40
Hello, More Newbies Here

Short story:
We're divesting and sailing away.

Longer story:
The kids are 25 and 21, hubby is set to retire in a month and we've long been planning on exiting the Rhode Island rat race. We don't own a boat (in the process as I write) but we've long been researching the live aboard life. So much so that we were lurkers on the Living Aboard forums before they went belly up, and I must say I am THRILLED that Capt. Force (and Nancy) ended up here to continue to impart their knowledge and wisdom on those seeking it.
Anyway, we're getting rid of the house that we've owned for 16 years (move out date is September 15) and renting an apartment in Providence for a year while our daughter finishes college in the area. This will also allow us time to get our sailing legs under us.
We've taken CG Aux boating safety classes, and advanced nav. classes (all chart work) without owning a boat! So 3 days ago we found a 1978 Catalina (27 foot) on Craigslist for $1700 with a mooring until November, so we bought it. Figured it's short money to cut our teeth on and start making the mistakes we're bound to make. We'll haul the boat this winter and my (retired!) husband can spend time getting to learn the systems on the hard.
So I've learned vast amounts from this community already just by lurking for years, but know that our dreams are becoming reality I wanted to get in here and introduce myself (ourselves?) as we strive to become live aboards........can't believe this is finally happening

I should add the Catalina is not the boat we plan to live on. It will just be a learning vessel.
Old 22-08-2013, 06:40   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 50
Re: Hello, more newbies here

Welcome, and congratulations! One way to fast track the transition, if it's in the budget, would be to charter a boat for a week this winter with an ASA instructor on board. Its a great way to get some hands on experience, learn from a pro, and try out a boat in the size range and configuration that you are considering for liveaboard. It also gets you a reprieve from the RI winter! Good luck!
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 06:41   #3

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Congrats and welcome. Sounds like you have your plans in place and are taking all the right steps. Good luck on your journey!

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 06:44   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Congrats!

Small investment for a big learning curve! You will love it, and will know exactly when you need to upsize... Which might be sooner than you think!

CaptForce is DEFINITELY one of the better assets here on CF!

HAVE FUN!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 07:37   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard, and congrats!!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 09:30   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Good luck. With my learning curve for liveaboard status the easy part was learning to sail, the hardest learning to live aboard. It's taken me years to get it together. Even with all the issues I'd not move back on land. Must be in the blood.

The person who wrote throw away 95% of what you own before you move aboard was very prophetic. On my 37 foot cutter it has three drawers for clothes and two hanging lockers around 2 1/2 feet wide each. More storage in hard to get places if you remember what you put there. I know make lists that you can't find when you need them even if they're on the computer. If everything is not packed right it may mildew or rust.

Any maintenance work while living on the boat can make it very uncomfortable to downright unlivable. Pull out the tools and you're climbing over stuff to get forward and back again or no room on the table to eat.

Whatever boat you decide on I'd recommend looking for one that had just been refitted for cruising and for some reason the owner had to give up the dream. Don't spend your retirement fixing up a fixer upper. It usually ends up costing a lot more than you ever expected as well as finding new problems caused by all the neglect.

Fair winds and following seas

Ken
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 09:47   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Hello, More Newbies Here

Welcome Liunatic, Nancie and I have been at a dock for seven weeks now, enjoying a wonderful place with friends, but were eager to get underway again. Thanks for the accolades,- I hope we can continue to have something to offer beside the caution that the chioce to live aboard can be a terminal decision! Congratulations on your choice and the boat. Keep us informed of your progress and adventures.
Old 22-08-2013, 09:54   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liunatic View Post
Short story:
We're divesting and sailing away.

Longer story:
The kids are 25 and 21, hubby is set to retire in a month and we've long been planning on exiting the Rhode Island rat race. We don't own a boat (in the process as I write) but we've long been researching the live aboard life. So much so that we were lurkers on the Living Aboard forums before they went belly up, and I must say I am THRILLED that Capt. Force (and Nancy) ended up here to continue to impart their knowledge and wisdom on those seeking it.
Anyway, we're getting rid of the house that we've owned for 16 years (move out date is September 15) and renting an apartment in Providence for a year while our daughter finishes college in the area. This will also allow us time to get our sailing legs under us.
We've taken CG Aux boating safety classes, and advanced nav. classes (all chart work) without owning a boat! So 3 days ago we found a 1978 Catalina (27 foot) on Craigslist for $1700 with a mooring until November, so we bought it. Figured it's short money to cut our teeth on and start making the mistakes we're bound to make. We'll haul the boat this winter and my (retired!) husband can spend time getting to learn the systems on the hard.
So I've learned vast amounts from this community already just by lurking for years, but know that our dreams are becoming reality I wanted to get in here and introduce myself (ourselves?) as we strive to become live aboards........can't believe this is finally happening

I should add the Catalina is not the boat we plan to live on. It will just be a learning vessel.
Welcome and congratulations. Your and your Husband could be the poster couple as to "How to do it right". The Cat 27 is a great Chevrolet to learn on and cut your teeth. As you might have figured out...you can sell it for the same or more than you paid as the sailboat market is coming back. Good luck and fair winds.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 11:48   #9

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Capt. Alex - good advice on the charter. I've thought of that, but the hubby is less than enthusiastic about that idea. I, however, think it is a great suggestion. We'll see what the future brings.

Kentobin - in giving up the house we are donating/giving a lot away. Our son is buying a house, so a lot of the furniture and such we won't need in the apt. is going to him. As far as the "future boat" we definately will be looking for something that is not a "fixer-upper". We did that with the house and it was the never-ending story. But thanks for that.

Capt. Force - just.... thank you for sharing all your journeys with us.

Celestialsailor - you brought tears to my eyes with that "poster couple" comment. Seriously, those are VERY kind words to hear after all these years. In sharing our dreams with family members and friends and co-workers in the past, the usual response is, "Oh, why would you want to do that?" ..... then that look in their eyes of that's-just-a-dream,-it'll-never-happen. But my husband and I have had faith in this dream for a long time, and it's places like this and people like you all that have been our inspiration and affirmation that it is totally doable, and a pretty darn smart move, to boot.

Again, thanks to all of you, I'm glad to be aboard!
Old 22-08-2013, 11:56   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

That's a pretty common story with friends and family. All of us that have been doing this for some time have heard it all...
"aren't you afraid of drowning"?
"what about the perfect storm"
or my favorite..."you'll be back". My response to that is..."ya, with a book of wonderful memories and experiences.
In 6 days, I'm out under the Golden Gate Bridge. I've tried this more than once but never given up on the dream. (See: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-up-26626.html ).
Compromise is a semi-death called coping.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 12:56   #11

Celestialsailor - I just read your post from 2009 (never give up). Talk about inspirational! I only hope when we set off we don't encounter the conditions you did in that post! Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 23-08-2013, 13:06   #12

Boat: Boatless
Liunatic,

First welcome aboard. Sometimes miss S.E. New England( born in New Bedford) but then I come to my senses!!!

For those who question, or ridicule your most excellent choice I have a suggestion. When you are down in the islands or wherever, and catch that perfect post card sunset, snap a picture. Then send it to the nay-sayers with three simple words...This is why!

Of course we'll all be expecting pictures and updates of this next chapter in your life!!
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 14:24   #13

hello all
brandon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 15:46   #14

Boat: Catalina 30

Welcome aboard.

You will love the C27 for what it is.
Old 28-09-2013, 12:16   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here and congratulations on the Catalina 27. That's a great boat to cut your teeth on.
kind regards,