Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2009, 11:12   #1

Talking Hello to All!

Name is Bruce-

Been lurking around the Forum for several months and finally registered. Very new to sailing and still shopping for the boat of my dreams!

I have been saving up for almost 4 years now and have accumulated a decent ammount of money to buy my very own Cruiser.

Not really sure what to get and wanted some input from people like you who are more knowledgeable than myself.

I do know that I want a rig that:

A) I can basically live on for extended periods of time.

B) Be able to take out into Blue Waters

C) Is easy enough to sail by myself (If need be).

D) Is sturdy and reliable enough to encounter poor weather.

Any help, advice, or any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated!

I am currently looking at Cruisers in the 35- 40 foot range.

Thanks-
B
Chef to Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 11:56   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Welcome, Bruce! Good to have a Smokey Mountain Man onboard.

There're quite a few boats that meet your criteria, so the question is, how to narrow the search. My first suggestion would be to try the Google search function found in the "Search" pull-down menu up top. There is thread after thread on the topic of which boat is best in our archives. That should get you thinking, and asking more specific questions. Troll around on Yachtworld to see what's for sale and how much the asking prices are. Knowing the price range you'd be comfortable with is important guidance to anyone offering you advice here. Keep in mind that some boats will require significant outfitting and possibly repair outlays over and above the purchase price before being ready to sail off into the sunset.
Old 16-01-2009, 12:28   #3

Thanks for the reply Hud3!

After saving and selling a lot of my posessions, I have been able to raise a little over $80K.

Now I know that is not much money when it comes to Sailboats but I don't need anything extravagant. I really just want something I can live on and something I can sail whenever I feel the need to "get away"!

I have looked around yachtworld and boattrader and there just seem to be so many to choose from that I am overwhelmed! Should I buy something used and spend money to modify it? Should I put the money on a Down payment for a new boat?

I am actually moving back to the Pan Handle of Florida for work and want to make that my home base. My Uncle has a 1998 38' Beneteau that he can sell me for a good price. It is a really nice looking boat and is barely used (according to my uncle). Would a boat like that be able to make the trip down to the Carribean?

Sorry if I am asking dumb questions but I need to start somewhere!

Thanks Again-
B
Chef to Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 13:07   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I'm not that knowledgable about Beneteaus. I chartered one out of St. Martin once, but that's it. There are a lot of them cruising the eastern Caribbean, so one more wouldn't be noticed.

Your uncle's boat might be a really good choice for you. It would serve both your interests to hire a surveyor to thoroughly check it out before striking a deal. You don't want any surprises, especially when family is involved, and the impartial status of a surveyor can be helpful in defining any issues that need to be dealt with.
Old 23-01-2009, 12:14   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Bruce,
Welcome aboard! If your uncle's boat is a really, really good deal it will meet all your needs. A surveyor is a very good idea.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote