Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 13:28   #1

Thumbs up Hello to all you cruisers and boaters

Hi to you all,
My name is Trevor and I am new to boating. I recently purchased a Seamaster 23ft boat to do a bit of pleasure cruising and fishing in my latter years. Unfortunately, my boat, Catrina which is moored at Tucton, Christchurch on the River Stour in Southern England was removed from its mooring on or around new years eve, I recovered it some 400yds down the river tied up near a public slipway. The battery and starter motor had been stolen. I had no problem replacing the battery but trying to find a starter motor for a Perkins diesel 4107 has proved very difficult and as yet I still have not found one. I can not find the engine number on the engine and I am told that I must have this to be able to get the right starter for the boat. Can anyone give me any advice on how I should overcome this problem.
tcpgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 14:02   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Welcome aboard. Sorry to hear about your theft. I can't offer help, only sympathy but there are some sharp Perkins types on the forum who will probably give you the guidance needed.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 14:16   #3

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the sympathy George, I hope you are right about the Perkins experts.

Take care Trevor
Old 11-02-2007, 18:24   #4
cruiser

Trevor,

From the manual for the 4-107, the starter motor is described as the following. Maybe a starter motor dealer can use this info to locate a modern version for you?

Make: Lucas
Type: MG45 or 2M113
Max Current: 900Amps
Starter Cable Resistance: .0017 ohms (max)
Number of teeth on pinion: 10

This started is very common over here, and the modern replacement is by Delco-Remy. If you need me to crawl into my engine room and see if I can get a Delco-Remy part number for you, let me know...
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 18:51   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Trevor,

Welcome aboard!! Hope you enjoy the forum. Sorry about your stolen items. Nothing makes a person feel worse than having things stolen that are truly hard to replace.

eBay Motors: NEW STARTER - BOBCAT CLARK HYSTER NEW HOLLAND PERKINS (item 130078834806 end time Feb-17-07 18:31:36 PST)

This starter fits a Perkins 4-108 so it might be compatible with your engine. Maybe some real Perkins experts can let you know. At any rate it isn't near as expensive as some I've seen.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:36   #6

Thanks

Thank you very much for the info, just what I needed to know. You are a scholar and a gentleman.
Trevor Parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Trevor,

From the manual for the 4-107, the starter motor is described as the following. Maybe a starter motor dealer can use this info to locate a modern version for you?

Make: Lucas
Type: MG45 or 2M113
Max Current: 900Amps
Starter Cable Resistance: .0017 ohms (max)
Number of teeth on pinion: 10

This started is very common over here, and the modern replacement is by Delco-Remy. If you need me to crawl into my engine room and see if I can get a Delco-Remy part number for you, let me know...
Old 12-02-2007, 10:43   #7

Thanks John

Hi John
I have contacted the seller and have asked the question is it compatable as yet not received a reply.
Thanks for your help
Trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
Aloha Trevor,

Welcome aboard!! Hope you enjoy the forum. Sorry about your stolen items. Nothing makes a person feel worse than having things stolen that are truly hard to replace.

eBay Motors: NEW STARTER - BOBCAT CLARK HYSTER NEW HOLLAND PERKINS (item 130078834806 end time Feb-17-07 18:31:36 PST)

This starter fits a Perkins 4-108 so it might be compatible with your engine. Maybe some real Perkins experts can let you know. At any rate it isn't near as expensive as some I've seen.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
Old 12-02-2007, 10:45   #8

Hi John
Hi John
I have contacted the seller and have asked the question is it compatable as yet not received a reply.
Thanks for your help
Trevor
Old 12-02-2007, 20:58   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Hi Trevor,
The seller may not know but if you could get the model number from them then you could check with a Perkins expert to see if the model number will fit your 4-107. I wouldn't think they would have changed anything about the starter when producing the 4-108. As I undrstood the big difference was with wet sleeve versus dry sleeved cylinders. I could be wrong. By the way, I really loved my old 4-107. Great engine.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote