Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2006, 18:11   #1

Hello To Everyone

Hi. All. My name is Jim Clark and I have restored 2 Sailboats over the years. One was a 25’ Oday and the other a 34’ Hooks Marine Custom. The Hooks Marine Custom was named Wandering Spirit. I am also a Airstream Trailer Restorer, I have restored a 1968 Globetrotter. Andy R suggested I join here as I have a few pictures to share. I am from New Orleans. When Katrina hit New Orleans my wife my son, mother in law and 2 dogs evacuated to Fort Wilderness at Disney in the 19’ Airstream Globetrotter and stayed for 2 weeks, great time. Wandering Spirit was moored at 53E at the New Orleans Municipal Yacht Harbor. I did not make it out to the Harbor for a month to even look for the boat. I had looked over aerial photos and was convinced she was sunk. When I did get out to the harbor I could not find the boat. Finally, after 2 hours of searching I found Wandering Spirit in the center of apx. 100 boats on the parking lot of Southern Yacht Club, which was the burning building, which was shown on the news. Wandering Spirit appeared to have a bent rig and beat up badly, but not as bad as most. I had rebuilt the boat several years ago and had added bulk heads and stiffening boxes which saved her. The insurance company totaled Wandering Spirit and gave her back to me and reinsured her(Rig Was Not Bent). I took part of the settlement and purchased a new Airstream Trailer and will use the rest of the settlement to repair Wandering Spirit. Wandering Spirit did not take on a drop of water and she started the first time I touched the key. It took 3 more months and a 150 Ton Crane to get her back in the water. The New Orleans Municipal Yacht Harbor is still littered with boats on the ground and sunk in the harbor. The pictures I will post will give you an idea as to how bad this storm was. I hope to learn from this group, as I always am amazed at how much knowledge sailors have and how easily they share

Thanks Jim N5TJZ
S/V Wandering Spirit
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2006, 18:26   #2
Kai Nui

Jim, wecome aboard. Glad to have you. Also glad to hear your boat survived, as so many others did not. I hope her road to recovery is a short one.
Old 24-04-2006, 18:48   #3

Welcome aboard, Jim.

Yeah, that's a shame. About what happened down there in New Orleans. Katrina sure left that city, in a total mess.

I'm glad to hear that your boat survived that tragic disaster. And hopefully, you'll be out there "doing it" again soon!!

Welcome aboard.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2006, 19:03   #4

Thanks for the welcome. All will be fine, I am in better shape than most. You would not belive how many large boats are still sitting on beach because the owners had no insurance. I hope to learn a lot from everyone here.

Thanks Jim
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2006, 04:04   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Jim:
Your ‘Katrina’ photos are heartrending, but the one of you (smiling) at the helm of “Wandering Spirit” (amid the rubble) demonstrates the power & vigor of human spirit that heartens & inspires all of us.
Welcome aboard.
All the best, to you & other unfortunates,
Gord

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote