Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2007, 16:50   #1

Hello to everyone

Hi, everyone I want to introduce myself. I have been a member of the forum for a while but have been dealing with the aftermath of Katrina for a while. My boat was totaled by Katrina and the given back to me by the insurance company with a check for full value. I had her put back in the water and she has sat in a slip since. I completely rebuilt the boat in 1995 and now will do it again. I have ordered many of the parts I will need in the last week, I am lucky I have all the receipts from the 1995 rebuild.

The clearing if the Municipal Yacht Harbor in New Orleans started last week. It is hard to watch as boat after boat is pulled off the bottom then dropped on a barge then to the hard. Once on the hard a excavator then crushes the boat and loads it into a dumpster and they are hauled to a landfill. It is estimated that over 150 boat will be crushed.

I am a member of the Airstream Forum which is a sister forum to this forum, the Airstream is our escape capsule for hurricanes. I am sure I will have many questions and hope I can contribute to Forum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jim.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	1137

Me on the boat in the pile of 150 boats in the parking lot of Southern Yacht
Club one month after Katrina, took another 3 months to get the boat out.
Bring Back New Orleans

Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 17:36   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Me on the boat in the pile of 150 boats in the parking lot of Southern Yacht Club one month after Katrina, took another 3 months to get the boat out.
You obviously know the road ahead better than many here. I hope you know we all wish a successful end to the journey. There still are a lot of folks here to offer help as well that actually need it. CF can be a great place to come to. I hope you will come here often.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 20:29   #3

Paul, thanks for the welcome. I can't wait till I can spend some time reading the past posts and see what is going on.
Bring Back New Orleans

Old 10-05-2007, 20:48   #4

Boat: Pearson 27 - Nauti Lady
I sailed out of there a few times this past fall - good to hear it's finally getting cleared up, and good luck!
phallock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 21:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phallock
I sailed out of there a few times this past fall - good to hear it's finally getting cleared up, and good luck!
It is improving; the corner where the large pile of boats ended up is cleared. Resolve Marine is doing the clearing and are pulling out several boats every day at the cost of $7200.00 a hull. They will clear everything down to 1 cubic foot. The entire harbor bottom was mapped. The clearing of the harbor has motivated me to speed up my work on my boat.

Just a note if you do make it back Landry’s restaurant just opened where Joe’s Crab Shack was located and their dock is repaired. Still no power and no slip rent. If you make it back to the area let me know and I will stop by and say hello, I am out there twice a day taking measurements or doing work.
Bring Back New Orleans

Old 10-05-2007, 21:40   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Jim,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here and great that you can rebuild your boat.
I can just imagine how much gear is getting crushed in the jumble of boats.
I've been looking for a Lewmar 52CST sheet winch for about a year now and I'll bet there are a few Pearsons there that have some onboard. I have tears in my eyes.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 22:15   #7

Boat: Pearson 27 - Nauti Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
It is improving; the corner where the large pile of boats ended up is cleared. Resolve Marine is doing the clearing and are pulling out several boats every day at the cost of $7200.00 a hull. They will clear everything down to 1 cubic foot. The entire harbor bottom was mapped. The clearing of the harbor has motivated me to speed up my work on my boat.

Just a note if you do make it back Landry’s restaurant just opened where Joe’s Crab Shack was located and their dock is repaired. Still no power and no slip rent. If you make it back to the area let me know and I will stop by and say hello, I am out there twice a day taking measurements or doing work.
Actually I live in Slidell and was there to take a few classes from Murray. In fact my first class was the Saturday before the storm; by the time we came back in, they were boarding up the yacht club. Took a few more once they started back up last fall.

Since then I've bought a boat that I keep right across the lake from you in Mandeville - an actual functioning restaurant now makes a translake trip very appealing!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
Aloha Jim,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here and great that you can rebuild your boat.
I can just imagine how much gear is getting crushed in the jumble of boats.
I've been looking for a Lewmar 52CST sheet winch for about a year now and I'll bet there are a few Pearsons there that have some onboard. I have tears in my eyes.
JohnL
SkiprJohn yes one is on the bottom a few slips from mine. It is really sad; the owner who is in a wheel chair and his elderly wife came out to the slip to post a sign asking DEQ not to destroy the boat. I offered to crawl out on the pilings to put the sign up which I did. I asked why he was posting the boat and what he intended to do. His reply was I will have it raised and restored. I didn’t have the heart to tell him that his boat was too far-gone and it would not happen I referred him to the DEQ Salvage Team Project Manager. Just shows how attached people are to their boats.

I was home ported out of Pearl in the early seventies I love Hawaii.
Bring Back New Orleans

Old 11-05-2007, 07:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by phallock
Actually I live in Slidell and was there to take a few classes from Murray. In fact my first class was the Saturday before the storm; by the time we came back in, they were boarding up the yacht club. Took a few more once they started back up last fall.

Since then I've bought a boat that I keep right across the lake from you in Mandeville - an actual functioning restaurant now makes a translake trip very appealing!
Phallock, we have something in common. I to took sailing lessons form Murray, I am sure you took yours through Stanton. I took mine through his dad Tim in the seventies. They provided the instructor anyway. The sailing lessons led to me breaking up with my girlfriend at the time she called me crazy, man I am I glad I took those lessons and have never looked back.

I will give you a restaurant report Monday, we are eating at Landry’s for Mother’s Day.
Bring Back New Orleans