Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2004, 09:21   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to tybeefolk
Talking hello to our new and old friends

hello to our old and new friends . Tybeefolk has just returned from sailing the Pensacola bay-Ft.Walton area and we can only say, WOW! the emerald coast is truly impressive.
we are glad to see familiar faces here and hope to meet many more of you. we plan to be going soon to the Georgia coast for some coastal sailing and are still actively searching for "the boat". if you are between St Marys and Hilton Head, look for us as we will be experiencing our first ICW trip on a sailboat. any 'recomendations' or 'bewares' are welcomed and appreciated.
Old 14-05-2004, 10:30   #2

Hi,

I don't know what your Georgia sailing schedule is, but if it is in the next few weeks, keep this in mind...

The USCG is proposing travel rescrictions that will halt all ICW and inlet boat traffic during the G8 summit, to be held near Saint Simons Island Florida. The restricted area extends offshore three miles.

Details can be found here...

https://www.piersystem.com/external/...&pressid=36546

"Proposed Security Zones, Regulated Navigation Areas for G-8 Summit

SAVANNAH, Ga - The Coast Guard in conjunction with the upcoming G-8 Summit proposed the creation of two temporary security zones and two regulated navigation areas to provide for the safety and security of the public, G-8 Summit participants and the safety of the waterways from June 5-11.

The proposed security zones and regulated navigation areas will prohibit or regulate all vessels and persons, without Captain of the Port permission, from entering the waters in the vicinity of the Savannah River, Sea Island, St. Simons Island and Jekyll Island.

The proposed security zones and regulated navigation areas were published in the Federal Register April 8. The Coast Guard is taking public comment until May 10 before publishing a final rule on the location of the zones and RNAs

These Notice of Proposed Rule Makings in the Federal Register can be downloaded for Savannah and St. Simons/Jekyll Island. Each PDF file contains the proposed rules and instructions for providing comment to the Coast Guard.

Charts of the proposed security zone for St. Simons/Jekyll Island and the proposed security zones and regulated navigational areas for Savannah can be viewed by going to www.d7publicaffairs.com. Go to News and Images, go down to photos and then go to the sub-section Homeland Security."

If you are transiting the Saint Simons or the Savannah areas June 5-11 you should be aware of these restrictions.

I for one hope to be transiting south offshore at this time, weather allowing.

Regards, Woody
Fernandina Beach, Fl
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 19:52   #3

Ahoy Tybee

I recently purchased my sailboat in Buloxi, Mississippi and brought home to Richmond Hill, Georgia. I found the MapTech charts to be inaccurate with missing bouys and markers. If I had not had the ICW chart book by the Kettlewells was very accurate and most helpful. I also found several boats run aground using chart plotters and after talking to the skippers later think they were running with out of date charts on their plotters. There were some places where you need to be careful. Going north past the Kings Bay sub base the first marker and in St Andrw's Sound there is a new bouy further out in the inlet that is not on the Maptech Charts. Saw a Mainship out of the water there because he did not know about the new marker and went inside. Also going from the Jekyll Marina through Jekyll Creek is very low recommend going through at 3/4 tide. I had no difficulty beyound that point. When You return to coastal Georgia send me an email and maybe we can get together. Dan
Old 13-09-2004, 01:44   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Re: Ahoy Tybee

Quote:
Daniel Grant once whispered in the wind:
I found several boats run aground using chart plotters and after talking to the skippers later think they were running with out of date charts on their plotters.
Elementary mistake. You should always be comparing echo sounder depth with that shown on the plotter. Any discrepancy (other than tide) should make you instantly suspicious and go back to original navigation principles.
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 07:35   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Chart plotters

After having made the trip many times without a chart plotter I made three runs recently between Charleston and Florida using C-Maps on two trips and Navionics on the other. Both were the latest editions. Neither was 100% reliable nor should one expect them to be. Buoyage changes frequently especially going past inlets. As for comparing depths, the depths on the ICW change so frequently and fast that for most of the trip they bear very little resemblance to charted depths. Best advice, keep your eyes open for marks and on the depth sounder most of the time and keep your paper charts handy. I still follow along on paper charts even with a plotter. I will say that the plotters are excellent for making sure you're on course when going through strong tidal waters. No more looking back all the time to see whether you're still on line or being pushed all to hell. That's if they're still working and not beeping "no fix, no fix"