Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2008, 07:58   #1

Boat: Bayfield 36, Wellcraft 190 classid
Thumbs up Hello ya'll from PNW San Juan Islands

Hello everyone and thanks for the great discussions. This is my first post. I am a younger custom home builder working currently in the San Juan Islands of Washington (Blakely). I have cruised the inside and outside of Washington and B.C. from an early age. One trip down to San Francisco on a nineteen-teens schooner also. Anyway, I am hoping to buy my first cruising boat as soon as we sell our house, and start cruising with my lovely fiance. We have been entertaining the idea of a cat, though I have no experience on them besides a beach cat. I love this thread for the friendly, educated advice everyone is sharing. Pleased to meet you!
Ben Davidson
bennyd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 08:11   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyd10 View Post
Hello everyone and thanks for the great discussions. This is my first post. I am a younger custom home builder working currently in the San Juan Islands of Washington (Blakely). I have cruised the inside and outside of Washington and B.C. from an early age on. One trip down to San Francisco on a nineteen-teens schooner also. Anyway, I am hoping to buy my first cruising boat as soon as we sell our house, and start cruising with my lovely fiance. We have been entertaining the idea of a cat, though I have no experience on them besides a beach cat. I love this thread for the friendly, educated advice everyone is sharing. Pleased to meet you!
Ben Davidson
Ben Davidson!? Ben, I remember when you were playing defensive end for the Oakland Raiders! You were awesome!

Then we worked together a few years after that on the Miller Lite campaign. Remember? "Less filling! . . . Tastes great! . . . Less filling! . . . Tastes great!"

You grew up in East L.A. A 6'8" giant white kid in the barrio, fluent in Spanish and absolutely fearless. Remember, my nephew came to the shoot and wanted a picture taken with you, sitting at the bar in that place in Pasadena? You were happy to have your picture taken with him, but only after all the Miller Lite beer bottles were moved out of frame.

Oh, you're not that Ben Davidson? Sorry for the confusion.

Still, welcome to the Forum, Ben. Glad you're here.

TaoJones
Old 23-01-2008, 08:12   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi and Welcome aboard Ben:

I had my boat up in BC for a year and we spent alot of time in Friday Harbor, for some reason the boat would chose to break down there which wasn't all bad since the kids love Friday Harbor. You live in an incredibly beautiful place. But I guess you already know that. Good luck with your plans.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 09:39   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Thumbs up Welcome aboard Ben

from another PNW'er. I've spent my fair share of time up and around the Islands and lower BC.

Cats are in my interests too but the West Coast has very little of them, and almost none for sale. And they are a bit more costly as well. To buy one, one needs to go to the East Coast, Caribbean, OZ or EU.

We hope you enjoy the informative forum! ..................._/)
Old 24-01-2008, 12:21   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Ben,
Welcome aboard!! Hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do. There are quite a few PNWers here.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 14:02   #6

Boat: Bayfield 36, Wellcraft 190 classid
Thanks for the welcome! Sorry TaoJones, not that Ben Davidson. I am tough, but maybe not that tough... Anyways, I will look forward to see you all on the board. Yeah, delmarrey, not a whole lot of selection in the cat market here... Why don't people like cats in the Northwest? Maybe it is because most are outfitted with A/C and not a Dickenson Diesel cabin heater... I don't know... 2" fresh Snow today here!
bennyd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 02:08   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Benny,
Please to meet yout too - and wish you all the best in fulfilling the plans.
You are not wrong in how helpful the mob using this site can be. We've covered more than a few miles - still learning after 30 years - and the other site members are good guys to learn from.
Cheers
JOHN

Tags
san juan islands