Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2022, 11:17   #1

Hello_Cruising Dreams

Hi there! I am a new member to CF but have read threads for a couple years. I’ve now purchased my first boat, an 1984 Hallberg-Rassy 42 E. I got a great price on her and I am super excited. She’s gonna need some work (teak decks) but she had a meticulous previous owner who took great care of her. I am gonna need some advise here and there and I am looking forward to the conversations. Did I mention that I have never sailed? �� I plan on hiring captains in the SF bay area and I welcome any suggestions and referrals.
AnnaLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423
Re: Hello_Cruising Dreams

Congrats. That is a big step but an important one. Seek out an ASA or other formal sailing school in your area. Also look for yacht clubs that are open to you posting you desire to crew. Often they have a bulletin board for such a purpose. Be up front with your experience but often there are people looking to help others get into sailing and also helping out as a crew in some of the less formal racing.

Do you have a place to keep your new boat? That has become quite a challenge in some parts of the country.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 14:24   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
Congrats. That is a big step but an important one. Seek out an ASA or other formal sailing school in your area. Also look for yacht clubs that are open to you posting you desire to crew. Often they have a bulletin board for such a purpose. Be up front with your experience but often there are people looking to help others get into sailing and also helping out as a crew in some of the less formal racing.

Do you have a place to keep your new boat? That has become quite a challenge in some parts of the country.
Thank you for the reply and suggestions. I have a slip in the Berkeley marina and will keep her there. I have met a few people at the marina who are willing to take me out, let me crew, and help with this or that so we will see. I’ll seek out additional resources as well. As for lessons, I’ll be taking them in Miami where I live full time and coming back out to the Bay Area every 4-6 weeks for sailing and maintenance. I know the waters and weather are totally different but I’m hoping enough translates. I love the mild weather and landscapes of the west coast.
AnnaLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 20:23   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising

« Nils ll | Twooton »