Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2007, 09:16   #61

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
hI knguy1, welcome to the forum!! You'll get a better response if you post in the "Meet & Greets" section, and flesh our your profile a little, area, experience so far, plans, etc . . . anyway lots of good folks here to encourage you along the way!!
Old 17-12-2007, 18:34   #62

mikmul - you rock! Thanks for the leads on those boats. My favorites are the Hans Christian and the Corbin. What do you think they should sell for? That brings me to a whole other issue of price. I've read that most brokerage boats are overpriced, much like cars at a used car dealer, and there's a lot of room for negotiation.
Janny - it's good to hear from you. Thanks for the reminders. There are so many good looking boats out there, but not many that meet all of my criteria, so sometimes I start leaning toward settling on something that's not quite right. I'm going to print your criteria along with mine to remind me to stay on track.

knguy1 - Hello! Glad to have you. I just started posting a few days ago, and already these guys have really helped me out.
So, jump on in, the water's fine! And happy holidays to you!

Oops, that reminds me. Someone just told me that Christmas is in one week! What!!! I've had my mind on shopping for boats, not Christmas and here it is. I can't believe it!

Anne
annegibsonwaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 01:47   #63

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
With a budget of 200k I imagine you should be looking at boats in the 220-250k price range in the current credit squeeze climate. Nothing like cash on the hip and a motivated seller to complete a deal. On the other hand, look at 200k boats and try to secure for 170-180k, leaving 20-30k in "freedom chips" for the big adventure. Look up threads on annual maintenance costs as a factor of size. I have friends about to do the world on a 33 footer. Check out the Crealock range on Yachtworld too, or for two with occasional guests (double quarter berth aft, same as my boat) the British made Rustler 36 is a gem . . . keep in touch with progress!!
Old 18-12-2007, 04:10   #64

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Annie,
Try reading a bit from longpassages.org. This couple is now about 70, and spent the last 14 years doing a circumnavigation. They writing is easy to read, and the advise is good. The one thing they regretted was the size of their boat (37') wished they had gone to about 42'. I think alot of the advise is right on. They have now swallowed the anchor and are doing a "road cruise", but I think you will find their years of logs inspiring as well as very "common sence" rich.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 04:53   #65

[quote=waterworldly;119433]Annie,
Try reading a bit from longpassages.org. This couple is now about 70, and spent the last 14 years doing a circumnavigation. They writing is easy to read, and the advise is good. The one thing they regretted was the size of their boat (37') wished they had gone to about 42'. "

Again, I can't count the number of cruisers I've met who have taken the advise to 'start small' ...then first thing you know, they are looking for a bigger boat. Frankly, its very hard to make even what you have in a boat back when trading up, much less any kind of a profit, UNLESS you buy a 'dirty boat'. (i.e. one that has been in storage for some time due to health of owner, loss of interest, etc.) and do some work cleaning it up. There are also large numbers of "i'm never setting foot on that boat again" broken dream boats out there that were lovingly prepared for the 'dream' which turned out to be a nightmare. Watching the idyllic sunset- ship swinging on the hook in a deserted azure anchorage on TV is not quite the same as the reality of 60 knot winds, anchor dragging, the stench of nausea throughout the cabin, and the panic and anxiety over wondering if you're going to get tossed onto a reef. Generally speaking, bigger rides and lives better- within reason. The 36 to 45 range is where I'd be looking.

Next, don't let the advertised prices throw you. In the current market you can do closer to 60 percent of that opening demand when you have the cash and can actually do the deal. Don't be afraid to negotiate, and negotiate hard. There are lots of boats out there. You might want to consider the Mason boats also. I'll have to ask but one of the guys where I am just splashed his immaculate 44 and is going to put her up for sale as he has just received bad news on his health. It is as well prepared and beautiful a sea boat as I've seen. He is a meticulous craftsman. When I see him today I'll see what kind of price he's thinking of.

seer
Seeratlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 05:41   #66

Excellent discussion. Let me turn to another suggestion for you and yours.

Since you are completely new to sailing/cruising, instead of chartering, how about you spend a mini cruise with some of these fine sailors ON THIS FORUM on THEIR YACHT so you can see up close and personal how THEIR solutions worked, boats, rig, interior, gear, and so forth.

And during these mini cruises you get to interact with the sailor who solved the problems and learn why and see how they work (together). All boats and sailors will not come up with the same solutions of how to get from here to there, but they all work from the same set of possibilities and each one is unique and fitted to HIS/HER/THEIR needs... which may not be YOUR needs.

I am almost certain that many on this forum would be glad to host you on their boat for a mini cruise for "expenses" only since they get to share their fav thing sailing their boat and making some new friends! How great is that?

Of course the problem is accommodation because most cruisers don't have lots of spare room for another couple, that is their boats are sized to accommodate the "full time" crew. So this would be a little tight for many, but certainly doable for most.

Our boat is a Contest36s which has a large interior (equal to many 40+ footers), a large cockpit and a separate aft cabin, a large galley and a full separate nav desk/station. It is perfect for a couple with occasional guests. I have lived aboard and cruised her in the Caribe for 3 years in comfort. Larger would have advantages, but not necessary for us... and would mean everything costs more, and forces are more and so forth.

It's a fractional rig with a rather large main which is a bit heavy for us old timers, but we get it up with help from a winch. All our control lines are led aft to the cockpit which is a safety feature (and this includes reeefing). Who wants to mess with reefing when the sea is nasty and the deck is pitching? Do it in your cockpit!

Showers:

We have a pressure system with hot water and take showers every day. However our head does not have a separate stall shower. Instead the entire head IS a shower with a teak grate sole over a GFP draining floor. The walls are highly varnished teak. The advantage to our arrangement is that we are not cramped in a small stall, when we shower we wash the ENTIRE head... then squeegee and wipe down the "walls" so that our head has never ever had a bad odor and is squeeky clean and never needs a separate cleaning! It gets completely cleaned every day! We can shower sitting on the head in a seaway (though drainage requires the boat be level).. honey can you tack over so we can drain the shower please for a minute? Having a nice warm shower is civilized and we also have a hand hot and cold water shower in our cockpit.

If you make it up to NY, you can sail with us and have a taste of sailing this summer. I can hook you up a good brokers in LI Sound as well. This is a serious offer and I hope you receive many others from this forum. You can PM me at your convenience.

Jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 08:27   #67

Annie, the boat I was telling you about is a 45.5 Bristol. send me an email to seeratlas *at*yahoo.com (change the *at* and I'll give you the contact information. If you think a Tayana is a pretty boat, you might fall in love with this one. It's not listed or known anywhere. They lived and cruised on her for 12 years and she has all the *good* ease of sail handling stuff , including impressive new nav electronics. The owners are putting her up for health reasons. She's located in a great marina just south of Jacksonville Florida. Excellent jumping off spot for the Bahamas etc. (the boat is shoal draft with a stout centerboard. Should you want anything done or added, the yard prices here are remarkably reasonable. Could be just the deal you're looking for.

seer
Seeratlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 10:57   #68

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post

Since you are completely new to sailing/cruising, instead of chartering, how about you spend a mini cruise with some of these fine sailors ON THIS FORUM on THEIR YACHT so you can see up close and personal how THEIR solutions worked, boats, rig, interior, gear, and so forth.

And during these mini cruises you get to interact with the sailor who solved the problems and learn why and see how they work (together). All boats and sailors will not come up with the same solutions of how to get from here to there, but they all work from the same set of possibilities and each one is unique and fitted to HIS/HER/THEIR needs... which may not be YOUR needs.

Jef
sv shiva
Great idea.

But I have not seen too many threads with owners calling the likes of me for a nice little "mini cruise".

I would like to take a few "mini cruises" for a lot less than the 5k per week charter rates. Boy howdy!

So, I am looking at cats 30 something to around 42.

I have no real experience on a large cat and need to "feel one up" to see if she is right for us.

Anyone around the Left coast (or even the Right)..............don't be shy.

Starting in January both the wife and I will have the ability to choose a few days of our own to take a ride on a nice forum members cat with them!!

What a great idea!!!!!

I will be waiting here at the keyboard..............but not holding my breath.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 13:51   #69

Boat: C&C 27
Hey Anne,

One more thing... You may want to look north to DFW and even Lake Texoma. You would be surprised the number of ocean worthy vessels that are sitting in fresh water along the border. Check out Grandpappy point marina for one.

pv
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 18:29   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeratlas View Post

Again, I can't count the number of cruisers I've met who have taken the advise to 'start small' ...then first thing you know, they are looking for a bigger boat.
I think you have to be careful not to take "interim" steps. We are in a 27 foot boat. It's about the smallest boat that starts to have big boat systems. We are learning a lot and the entry price and maintenance costs are cheap.

We are also getting lot's of time on other people's boats learning what they like and don't like. We are meeting all types of sailor's too. Racer/Cruisers that want to do both. Racers with gutted boats. Weekenders/Coastal Cruisers like us and hard core ocean going liveabords.

It is becoming very easy to spot the different boats and it's starting to become easier to spot the sailors.

We have 32 foot-itis. We also have 36 foot-itis and maybe even 40 foot-itis. When the money is there for a 32 footer, it's hard to hold off.

We think we know the ultimate boat. It's a matter of not compromising, saving the pennies for the "right" boat and being able to pull the trigger (with cash) when the right boat comes along.

Doing an interim boat while tempting isn't the right decision.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 18:43   #71

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Doing an interim boat while tempting isn't the right decision.
I agree.

Part of my problem right now.

I could take some days off and actually sail but don't have a boat and don't want to get a little toy and work my way up.
Old 18-12-2007, 23:33   #72

Seeratlas - thanks for the lead. You are exactly right - that is one beautiful boat. Noting the price on the sistership, my husband is afraid it's out of our reach, but, I think we'll call the owner tomorrow and just see what he says. I would be real happy with that boat, as would my husband.
I really appreciate all of the input regarding boat size and "trading up". How did you'll know that those thoughts were running through my husband's head? He keeps thinking that we'll start small and then trade up. You guys echo what I had been saying.
defjef - Thanks for your generous offer! It would be worth the trip to NY! When the weather warms up (aren't you'll enduring another blizzard?), maybe we'll head up that way. We'll be sure to give you plenty of warning! I think Therapy's feelings were hurt that he didn't get an invite, though!
PuraVida - you're right about Lake Texoma. I had no idea there would be so many 40 to 50' boats for sale up there. Who knew??

Anne
Old 19-12-2007, 07:54   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by annegibsonwaco View Post
I think Therapy's feelings were hurt that he didn't get an invite, though!

Anne
Not at all.

Remember, I am interested in a cat. I have plenty of time in a mono.
Old 19-12-2007, 08:06   #74

Hey, Therapy, I was just kidding! I knew you had taken a "tongue in cheek" approach. Just curious, since I'm such a novice at all of this, what draws you away from the monos to the cats?

Anne
Old 19-12-2007, 08:29   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by annegibsonwaco View Post
Hey, Therapy, I was just kidding! I knew you had taken a "tongue in cheek" approach. Just curious, since I'm such a novice at all of this, what draws you away from the monos to the cats?

Anne
Without going through a lot, it is the basics.

Less heeling, shallow draft, living space, speed, etc.

I suggest a lot of reading. I lurked for many months.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lboat-115.html