Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017, 22:14   #1

HEY THERE!

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and I'd figure I mind as well post up a "meet and greet" post now. Sorry for the longer post, figured it would be a fun read for someone

I got my sea legs when I was around 2. Around ages 4 and 5 I really got heavily into sailing and loved being on my grampus boat. I helped him and my grandma on their CS 36 and pretty much grew up on it for some time when I was younger. I never officially raced sailboats but I have attended a few racing camps. When I was in my early teens I was getting busy with motocross and school so I wasn't sailing as much but I still made some time. Though my grandma had surgeries and my grandpa was not as nimble as he was before I would still come out from time to time and help him sail around the bay. As I progressed in motocross I had less and less time and they ended up selling the boat due to lack of hands and because they just needed a break from spending and fixing things. (A boat is a hole in the water in which you throw money, as pop always said). Since then I got engaged, turned 21 and now I'm looking at restoring his old ranger 22 that he's had in the yard for 25 years! The plan is to surprise the fiancé with a honey money sailing from san diego to mexico! I'll have a post on the restoration process and all that later on.

For anyone interested in my landlubber side,
I've been riding a dirt bike since I was about 4 and got into racing motocross around age 11 and from then it was downhill, literally. I started racing one bike and then progressed through the classes and ended up with 3 bikes. 1 race bike, 1 practice/training bike, and 1 backup bike. (each bike was more expensive than the truck I had to get them to the track ). My last race was in the intermediate class which is one class under professional. To keep a long story short, I was out free riding with friends the week before a huge race and wrecked pretty hard sustaining a nearly shattered femur and a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) and had amnesia for about 3 days. After all that I sold all my bikes, most of my gear and stuck with one bike and set of gear which I currently ride now. I picked up a Harley right after I turned 19 after a bad breakup and well, head trauma after head trauma, a metal plate in my leg, 2 bad knees and currently a pinched nerve in my back, here I am still kickin' at 21! All I have to say now is if you still ride or race, you haven't hit the ground hard enough yet

So with all that above, I love sailing, I am totally ecstatic to be getting back into it and hope that I don't find a way to break myself on a boat like I do riding
Oreopenguin536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 22:52   #2

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: HEY THERE!

Hey, good luck on the restoration process and welcome. The lifestyle sounds perfect for you..you're sure to get your fix for adventure and a nice restorative, easy-going lifestyle at the same time
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 23:00   #3

Oh I'm sure! going to be a bit of cash up front but hopefully everything will work out just right!
Old 04-06-2017, 09:33   #4

Boat: 2000 Donzi Z275

It is very special to restore an old girl like that. History makes it more worthwhile.
Sparks5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:57   #5

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Hi Oreo, Welcome to the forum. It seems that you have managed to do to your body in 20 years which takes most of us geezers 50-60 years. Good luck with the restoration.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:39   #6

I'm pretty excited to restore it Sparks! I'm a little worried about it only being a 22 footer when I decide to take it down to some of the islands near Mexico but I'm sure it will be fun either way.

Yeah Bill you hit the nail on the head, I used to joke with my grandpa when I was younger about him getting a bit older. Now he makes fun of me :P Either way, I'm amped to get on a forum like this! Thanks for all the replies!
Old 27-06-2017, 22:06   #7

Oreopenguin536, you are a young man after my own heart. I am a motorcycle mama. Used one of my first paychecks to buy a Honda Elsinsore. Rode motorcycles since I was 18, I had to give up motorcycles due to health reasons, but I have always loved boats. Raised on sailboats. My brother Doug lives on his boat and he went to Puerto Rico and never came back. My sister Georgia and her husband live on a sailboat in Ft. Pierce Florida. They are getting ready to sell their house and their current boat and buy a Trawler style cruiser. I elected to go with power over sail due to ease of maintenance and operation. I am making preparations to do the Great Loop. Miles and miles of inland water ways. If we enjoy it I might go bigger and farther. At this time in my life, I am ready for a now adventure.

Welcome to the forum. I have already learned a lot on here.
Old 02-07-2017, 15:44   #8

Aha! I'm not a Honda guy myself but either way, riding is riding! Thanks for the warm welcome What is "The Great Loop"?
Old 02-07-2017, 22:00   #9

The great Loop is all the inland waterways from the great Lakes, Intercoastal waterway, the major rivers (Tenn, Ohio, etc). Type in great loop on a search and it will show you a map of the whole route. You can even traverse the Erie Canal in New York (was raised near there) It is a way of cruising on fresh water.

Check it out!!!!!!